PDA

View Full Version : Rechargeables in TLR-1

moredes
01-22-2007, 10:21 AM
For those who have firsthand experience with rechargeable batteries in a Streamlight TLR-1:

Which brand of rechargeables are you using? Any complaints?

Thank you.

moredes
01-26-2007, 9:31 PM
Anyone?

creampuff
01-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Ok, no first hand experience replies yet, so you are stuck with my response.
The TLR-1 uses 2 CR123 batteries, at 3V each battery. However, the standard rechargeables RCR123 are rated at 3.7V (actually hot off the charger they are 4.2), so the key would be to find out if the LED in the TLR-1 can handle 7.4v instead of 6v.

You can purchase 3v rechargeables, however the downside is they have considerably less capacity than the 3.7V rechargeables.

Since a weapon light, tends to undergo long storage times, and hopefully not frequent use (sweeping the backyard at night with a glock to check for varmints might scare the neighbors :) ), you may be better of just sticking with primary batteries. Lithium Ion rechargeables self discharge at a slower rate than NiMH and NiCad, but they do self discharge. I believe they go at a rate of 5% per month. Which means 1 and 1/2 year later if you need the light in an emergency, it won't light up. Primary CR123 have a shelf life of 10 years.

You can purchase Energizer CR123 and Surefire CR123 for less than $2 each at many online vendors; my favorite is www.lighthound.com

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=161

Sorry no personal first hand experience here, just a flashlight junky speaking.

maxicon
01-28-2007, 9:35 AM
A great place to read about all things flashlight related is www.candlepowerforums.com.

They've had some good threads on rechargeable 123s recently. It's the place to kill an afternoon or 3 if you're a flashlight geek.

moredes
01-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks, Gents!