PDA

View Full Version : Brady Campaign trying launch campaign at Repub. possible swing vote

Toolbox X
08-25-2011, 10:17 AM
I just got this email from the Brady Campaign:

Help us Convince Rep. Dold to Ban Assault Clips

Dear Michael,

With your help, H.R. 308, a bill to ban deadly assault clips, now has 110 co-sponsors but unbelievably not a single Congressional Republican is among them.

With your help we can quickly change this.

As Congress gets set to come back from summer break, we are turning up the heat on Congressional Republicans.

We have identified Republican Rep. Robert Dold from the Chicago suburbs as an important swing vote on H.R. 308 and we need your help to get him to support the bill.

We are going all out to remind Rep. Dold that he needs to listen to the will of the people and not the will of the gun lobby.

How will we convince him? Through our September Blitz that starts today:

We will run a hard-hitting TV ad;
We will run an aggressive media outreach campaign highlighting the danger of assault clips to all Americans;
We will mobilize supporters, victims, law enforcement and faith groups in his district urging him to support the legislation;
It will cost us $30,000 to run this campaign successfully and we need your support now. Please make a special gift today.

This fall we will turn up the heat on even more Republican swing votes.

Please join us in this major effort. You have partnered with us for so long and we need you to become part of this campaign.

Thank you and keep watching for our updates from the Chicago suburbs!

Sincerely,

Brian Malte, Director of Mobilization
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

Of course there isn't a link to write to the Congressman, the Brady's just want
money.

Can we launch a phone/letter campaign at Republican Rep. Robert Dold?

bwiese
08-25-2011, 10:36 AM
They may already be preaching to the converted anyway given nature of Chicago politicians of all stripes.

$30K doesn't buy much advertising in a metro area, and 'co sponsorship' doesn't mean a whole helluva lot.

I bet you the ad agency is also Brady/Joyce etc. affliated and they'll get a nice cut... - meaning they'll only
be getting around $25ish-K of actual ad work product/airtime.

Remember, they're fighting for one Reep Rep to add to 110 to try to get to 435/2, and then they have to
worry about the Senate.

GrayWolf09
08-25-2011, 11:01 AM
:useless:

I want to see what an "assault clip" looks like!:eek:

Caladain
08-25-2011, 11:04 AM

Here ya go!

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/7478/post1699129919767646.jpg

Ubermcoupe
08-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Yes, WTH is an assault clip

Pat Riot
08-25-2011, 11:11 AM

Does it matter what they are? They are DEADLY!

Wherryj
08-25-2011, 12:00 PM

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Assault-Clip-Microsoft-Clippy.jpg

Smoothshifter41
08-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I just posted on the Brady campaign facebook page and my posts were deleted within minutes. I even created a second account, posted again, and they once again deleted my comments and prevented me from posting. Of course, preventing any sort of debate on their part should not really surprise me.

chillincody
08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
when will we start hearing feedback on the out come i dont know how the courts work?

dotalchemy
08-25-2011, 1:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hYRr6.png

Let the deletion countdown begin...

edits... 35 minutes and still there...

chillincody
08-25-2011, 1:09 PM

lol .....nice:cool:

CCWFacts
08-25-2011, 3:08 PM
This election is going to be the most racially polarized election ever in US history. The 2nd most racial was the 2008 election, in which BHO got about 95% of the black vote, and came to victory by splitting the white vote. In 2012, the black vote will again be > 95% for BHO, but the white vote will be a lot more unified against him. It is deeply unfortunate that we have shifted from parties of ideas to parties of identity, but that's what has happened. The Brady Campaign is not going to be able to swing any voters against this backdrop.

ccmc
08-25-2011, 7:23 PM
This election is going to be the most racially polarized election ever in US history. The 2nd most racial was the 2008 election, in which BHO got about 95% of the black vote, and came to victory by splitting the white vote. In 2012, the black vote will again be > 95% for BHO, but the white vote will be a lot more unified against him. It is deeply unfortunate that we have shifted from parties of ideas to parties of identity, but that's what has happened. The Brady Campaign is not going to be able to swing any voters against this backdrop.

When was the last time a democrat got less than 90 pct of the black vote in a presidential election?

chillincody
08-25-2011, 8:11 PM

edits... 35 minutes and still there...

lol u were the one ,,knew you were a cal gunner.. lol omg those lies on that site hold NOO truth but still no deletes on me

stix213
08-25-2011, 8:27 PM

http://www.cheshirepus.com/temp/img/assault_clip.jpg

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
08-25-2011, 8:41 PM
They are spending $30K on an ad campaign?

That's the brady bunch's entire annual budget!

Helmke is already working as a janitor in some beverly hills office building.

Now they are going to have to lay off two democrat senators too.

PS: how do you ban 500 MILLION of anything?

oni.dori
08-26-2011, 2:05 AM
Oh! There's those fear mongering buzzwords again; forever confirming they are nothing more than a one trick pony, and nothing more.

On a more serious note though, this proposed law is starting to become somewhat more disconcerting to me. It seems like every time it is brought up, there are more and more people signed on as support of this bill. I am seriously starting to worry about the legitimacy of this bill potentially passing; and if it does, what we will be able to do to combat, and reverse its damage on the fundemental Civil Rights of this Nation.

Goosebrown
08-26-2011, 4:02 AM
*Assault Clips* is a great example of using words to frame an argument exactly like Gene's request for us to use LTC instead of CCW. For anyone in the middle, especially those that tend not to like guns, an "Assault Clip" is something they can readily associate with danger. I know that like "Assault Weapon", it really means nothing technically, but it does aid their case with the public.

We need to work on a vocabulary for the debate that makes us seem as common and boring as white bread and a turkey sandwich and exactly that threatening. I suggest just calling it a detachable magazine and ignore the word "capacity". Hi cap, low cap? Who cares, they are all just boxes that hold ammunition for a gun. Every hunting rifle has a magazine. Every pistol has a magazine. Nothing to complain about. Move along. Move along...

BanjoGunner
08-26-2011, 8:02 AM
Although semantics are important, I'm not sure that criticizing The Brady Campaign's choice of words is the right approach. IMO, it is better to focus on the fact that the very characteristics that make a particular magazine suitable for self defense are, unfortunately, subject to potential abuse by a few bad apples. Like cars with drunk drivers.

Perhaps we should rebrand Glock 33-rounders as "Self-Defense clips"...

scarville
08-26-2011, 9:21 AM
One of these can hold over 50 piece of paper. Imagine the destruction a paper wielding madman could cause on a college campus if he were equipped with one of these deadly assault clips and a few lemon slices!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/Binder_clip.JPG/220px-Binder_clip.JPG

dotalchemy
08-26-2011, 11:24 AM
One of these can hold over 50 piece of paper. Imagine the destruction a paper wielding madman could cause on a college campus if he were equipped with one of these deadly assault clips and a few lemon slices!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/Binder_clip.JPG/220px-Binder_clip.JPG

:ban:

Come on, man, think of the CHILDREN!

chillincody
08-26-2011, 11:45 AM

o no i broke the law i have a WHOLE drawer full of those lol

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
08-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Assault clip?

I prefer its technical description:

Ammo box with spring.

What are they trying to ban? An ammo box with a spring?????

Pure futility.

yellowfin
08-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Their ace in the hole in 2012 is Romney.

Bigtime1
08-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Their ace in the hole in 2012 is Romney.

Amen. One of the biggest RINOs ever, with Huntsman right up his six.

The Brady Bunch reek of desperation. When your very existence is built on a pile of lies it must be difficult to sleep well at night.

AVS
08-26-2011, 3:07 PM
Anyone else notice the paper target the Brady Campaign used on their facebook page?

PIGTAILS. That target has Pigtails.

Someone please tell me that the Brady Campaign had those targets made, because I'd love to be able to say, "The Brady Campaign uses your anti-gun donations to print paper targets shaped like little girls!"

vincnet11
08-26-2011, 3:38 PM
:D
Qh2sWSVRrmo

Blackhawk556
08-26-2011, 3:54 PM
^^^^Lol good one.

GrayWolf09
08-26-2011, 9:38 PM
Amen. One of the biggest RINOs ever, with Huntsman right up his six.

Yeah, who ever heard of a Republican who believed in science?:eek: