PDA

View Full Version : First Appleseed Shoot Questions

One78Shovel
08-25-2011, 8:39 AM
My wife and I signed up for the Piru shoot for September. The main reason we are attending is for my wife to learn basic rifleman skills and procedure. Plus, just for us to spend time together shooting. For me, I need refresher to military training recieved moons ago. Checked out the Appleseed site and have started making plans.

Is having an old tube fed Remington Sportmaster 512 a problem? Not sure if I want to drill the stock for a sling either, will we still benefit from the shoot?

Our other 22 we will be using is a scoped Savage 64 w/synthetic stock. If I wind up slinging it will the Uncle Mikes 1 1/4's work on syn stock?

Already have a GI sling for use from my Garand but will need to order another.

Thanks
-178S

ironpete
08-25-2011, 10:21 AM
One thing I want to say is, "don't let equipment stop you from coming". On the "Event Information Page" (EIP) there should be an email address of somebody that can address your questions. Given enough of a, "heads up", we can even help with loaner rifles.

1) Tube fed shouldn't be a problem. A speed loader would be helpful although your Shoot Boss (person running the shoot) might have some on hand.
2) Slings are key to some of the Appleseed "Secrets". Worst case we could zip tie a sling to your rifle if you don't want to drill it. Once you see what a sling can do you'll want one. Check out the report from one of our Military shoots and how we had them swap out their issue slings for a GI sling. http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=16110.msg132724#msg132724 Not counting sling use there is still plenty to learn.
3) I've added sling studs to my synthetic stocks...we'll just have to check it out to make sure it isn't something odd (like a nylon stock).
4) If you can't find another sling the Shoot Boss might have some as loaners or for sale.

Feel free to PM me (or the person on the EIP) with any questions.

Hope to see you there,
-Peter

john.t.singh
08-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Sling is super important. You only need the front though

Eljay
08-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Sling is super important. You only need the front though

Just a nit on that... you can definitely get by with just the front (and the zip tie thing really does work), but it's nice to have the rear as well if only to have the option of using hasty sling while standing. Some people really prefer it, and the shoot boss at my first Appleseed made some pretty compelling arguments for it.

I don't think it's a huge deal or anything, but I'd hate for somebody to blow off the rear swivel and then have it turn out they could have used it...

foesgth
08-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Uncle Mikes makes a swivel for tube fed mags. I have one on my Marlin 39. You won't get the full benefits of an Appleseed without a sling. However, you really only need to have the front swivel to use the loop sling which is the preferred method. Here is a link to Uncle Mikes setup. (http://www.unclemikes.com/products/22tube_mag_full_band.html)

john.t.singh
08-25-2011, 1:53 PM
Just a nit on that... you can definitely get by with just the front (and the zip tie thing really does work), but it's nice to have the rear as well if only to have the option of using hasty sling while standing. Some people really prefer it, and the shoot boss at my first Appleseed made some pretty compelling arguments for it.

I don't think it's a huge deal or anything, but I'd hate for somebody to blow off the rear swivel and then have it turn out they could have used it...

^ True. If you like the hasty for standing. My shoot boss was anti hasty so that has made me anti hasty ever since. Bad bad bad, but the loop sling prone is where the $$$$$ is at for AQT

as_rocketman
08-25-2011, 5:58 PM
I would estimate that a majority of RWVA instructors prefer hasty sling in standing, and loop in sitting and prone. However, everybody is different. All we're doing is showing you the tools, it's up to you to figure out what works for you.

To the OP, by the time the weekend is over you will almost certainly want a sling! I even have slings on my shotguns now... If you don't want to permanently alter your stocks, as others have suggested you can create temporary-ish mounts with zip ties. We do this frequently at the Appleseed shoots. In the long run, however, you will probably wind up putting in proper swivels.

Don't let equipment stop you. I've had folks on the line with all kinds of antiques, weird configurations, tacticool stuff, you name it. There's something to learn no matter what your preference is for gear. And worst case, we can probably loan you an "LTR" at the shoot.

Eljay
08-25-2011, 8:17 PM
Yeah, I not only bought slings for everything I own, but a couple of spares, and always keep a spare in my range bag. Good thing they're cheap.

Eljay
08-25-2011, 8:21 PM
PS Oh - and John - you should give hasty a shot. I don't feel like it gives you any less support in standing, it avoids having to adjust the length of your sling versus sitting and prone, and it just sucks that left elbow down and into position automatically. If you don't like it given your biometrics or whatever, OK, but you should try it sometime.

Steerme
08-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Thinking of attending the September Piru Appleseed for the first time.

I own a Mossberg 46 with tube feed. Nice target peep sights and accurate. I have the weaver mount for it and a low power scope that I can mount (probably a good thing past 100 yards for these eyes). It has sling mounts and a 1907 leather sling too. I don't own a speed loader. Good choice for an Appleseed?

I also own a AR15 in 5.56 plus a 22LR conversion kit. I only own one 10-round 22LR mag. Probably should have bought two mags. I prefer to shoot 22LR to save on ammunition costs if 400+ rounds will be shot. I don't own a standard GI issue web sling for it (could use the leather sling) and would need to pick up sling swivels to attach to the swivel mounts.

The AR has BUIS sights and a quick detach EOTECH that is zero'd for 100 yards with 556. My eyes are not what they used to be and the EOTECH really helps hit the target.

Would either of these rifles be appropriate? Would I need another magazine for the AR?

PurplePeople
08-26-2011, 5:19 PM
Either of those rifles should work fine at an Appleseed. Having a speed loader would be an advantage with the tube feed; often the instructors have them to loan. You definitely need at least two mags with the AR. The EoTech should work fine, assuming it's got the 1 MOA center dot in the reticle.

As far as slings, the 1907 is a little more complex compared to the GI one, but if you're comfortable setting it up with a loop, there's no reason not to use it. (The good ones are 1 1/4" and riveted.)

as_rocketman
08-26-2011, 7:56 PM
Yup, all those rifles would be just fine.

A "speed loader" for a tube feed can be improvised from a plastic drinking straw. (The fat ones for milkshakes work best.)

M1907 slings work well at Appleseed. I got my patch using one, and my M1 Garand wears one to this day.

You can use either the EOTech or the BUIS for Appleseed, just pick one and try not to switch between them during the shoot or you'll lose some time. My AR-15 has a HoloSight, works just fine. However, if you go that route you will want to get at least one more magazine. Five total is my recommended number. We shoot a lot, and I've seen lots of magazines jam up on the line.

Steerme
08-27-2011, 3:51 PM
Yup, all those rifles would be just fine.

A "speed loader" for a tube feed can be improvised from a plastic drinking straw. (The fat ones for milkshakes work best.)

M1907 slings work well at Appleseed. I got my patch using one, and my M1 Garand wears one to this day.

You can use either the EOTech or the BUIS for Appleseed, just pick one and try not to switch between them during the shoot or you'll lose some time. My AR-15 has a HoloSight, works just fine. However, if you go that route you will want to get at least one more magazine. Five total is my recommended number. We shoot a lot, and I've seen lots of magazines jam up on the line.
Trying to practice with the BUIS to be proficient but the Eotech makes it easy. I've had a couple jams with 22lr but not too bad. I have 3 or 4 556 mags but only the one 10 Rd 22lr mag.

Does one seal one end of a straw to make the speed loader?

as_rocketman
08-27-2011, 6:27 PM
You've got the idea. I've seen people use thumbtacks, small binder clips, paper clips bent into cotter pins... It's just something you can put 11 rounds into for temporary storage, and dump them all into the tube quickly when the time comes.

One of the RWVA instructors makes a more sophisticated "speed loader" out of armored brake line, to which he's threaded and epoxied an old 7.62x39 brass with the head cut off, and drilled a small hole across for a standard cotter pin. They're about a foot long. Shouldn't be too hard to make, if something more permanent is in your interest.

Steerme
08-28-2011, 9:50 AM
Not too hard to make. How many will I need for the Appleseed?

One78Shovel
08-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Ordered a sling from the Appleseed store and a couple sets of the Uncle Mikes swivels as suggested. Did not get the tube fed version but opted for the stud instead as I am not sure what size the tube is since I'm on travel. Will install them next week and will be ready to go.

Oh yea, got a couple speedloaders on order.

-178S

as_rocketman
08-28-2011, 12:10 PM
You'll be OK with just one, provided it can hold 13 rounds. However if you have time on your hands, and you make four of them, then you can also do RFAQT's. We don't do those at every Appleseed but they're fun...

Steerme
08-28-2011, 5:45 PM
You'll be OK with just one, provided it can hold 13 rounds. However if you have time on your hands, and you make four of them, then you can also do RFAQT's. We don't do those at every Appleseed but they're fun...

I may run over to NAPA tomorrow to see about 12" brake lines. I will ask my buddy for a couple of 7.62 x 39 shells since I have 5.56 shells.

Will a semi-auto like a 10/22 make an Appleseed easier to hit steps?

ironpete
09-16-2011, 4:27 AM
Hey Folks,

If you did attend the Appleseed in Piru we have our After Action Report on the link below:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=25102.0

Please feel free to make comments there and here. If you had good or bad experiences let us know. Your feedback is absolutely priceless so please be honest. When we talked about safety we talked about working as a group to protect each other. Nobody should take offense at someone helping with safety. By the same token, help other Calguns members or future students by giving us the feedback to improve what we're doing.

-Pete