PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter which side of the rifle the mount knobs/screws are on?

joe321
08-24-2011, 9:41 PM
I just got a UTG 5" riser for an M&P 15-22. I guess it could go either way. But, is there a preferred side of the rifle that the knobs that lock onto the picatinny rail should go? Or the knobs for the rings that are mounted onto the riser, for that matter?

I have the riser with the knobs on the right side(or the side with the ejection port). the knobs for the scope rings are on the other side(left). Just thought it would kind of balance it out.

Does it really matter? I know it seems like a silly question, but you never know. I'm really new to fire arms so maybe there's something that I haven't thought of.

donnrcp
08-27-2011, 8:49 PM
Check out the pictures in the rifle gallery, quick detachable types appear to have the release lever on the left side. That way one can maintain a hold on the pistol grip, if right handed and use the left hand to remove or place the sight.

check out this one: http://www.valhallaarmory.com/Quick_Detach_AR_15_Flat_Top_Riser_p/marfq.htm

G-forceJunkie
08-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Typically on the left side, leaving the ejection port area with less junk in the way. Probably doesnt matter on an AR, ona bolt action, it gives clearance when single loading.

dieselpower
08-28-2011, 9:17 AM
normally the left side for off hand manipulation. The trouble with that logic is the knobs will snag on gear. This is why Aimpoint reduced the length of them.

emptybottle151
08-29-2011, 9:38 PM
Right side as so not to interfere with your charging hand.