PDA

View Full Version : trap/skeet shooters: Do you tip the puller?

krby
01-21-2007, 6:49 PM
I was at Field Sports park in San Jose today and my first two rounds were with someone from another group. When we were done, another guy from this group tipped the puller. Is this normal? If so, what's standard?

shooten
01-21-2007, 9:02 PM
Absolutely. I've learned quite a bit from those guys as well. I always give a couple of bucks a round. One time I brought a newbie and the puller had him shooting pretty well after a couple of misses. That was worth $10.

ysr_racer
01-23-2007, 7:53 PM
Yep, usually a buck or two.

mike100
01-23-2007, 8:01 PM
No tips..I sometimes help pull a round and/or load the house so no friggen way.

school is back in session and our trap boys haven't been around (smart since it's damn cold in the evening).

prebans
01-23-2007, 8:21 PM
Absolutely. It's amazing what a tip helps you get in return.

"Hey, one of the guys was talking about selling off his Benelli due to a divorce. You might be able to get it for next to nothing if it'll help him screw his soon-to-be-ex. He's over at station......."

I bought a Benelli Montefeltro for $350.00. I later resold it for $900.00.

The tip cost me ten bucks.

Mike

Nylo
01-30-2007, 1:42 AM
I have never, nor have I seen anyone, tip a puller. I don't compete but have been to a few ranges in Nevada, and N. & S. Kali and not once have I seen this happen. Not sound cheap but I not sure why anyone would. Where I have shot everyone helps everyone and tips are just part of goodwill and friendship. This is one of the reasons I like to shoot trap. Maybe this happened at the bigger ranges but I don't usually attend those.

My two cents

supergimp
01-30-2007, 6:02 AM
The place I go is voice activated. I left a buck on the microphone once - but it just blew away...

krby
01-30-2007, 6:08 AM
Where I have shot everyone helps everyone and tips are just part of goodwill and friendship.

Let me clarify. In the case I was talking about, the puller worked for the range. The range is owned by county, so I guess he's a county parks and rec employee. I didn't mean tipping other shooters who happened to be nice enough to pull for you.

stator
01-30-2007, 8:18 AM
Let me clarify. In the case I was talking about, the puller worked for the range. The range is owned by county, so I guess he's a county parks and rec employee. I didn't mean tipping other shooters who happened to be nice enough to pull for you.

Where's BWeise on this one? For once, him and I are probably going to agree and ask why tip a government employee when they get a great benefit package unheard of in the private sector? It is not like they are a waiter/waitress making darn near minimum wage with no 401K, annuity pension, and free medical benefits before/after retirement.

These people make at least the living wage which is about $25/hour, have an outstanding medical benefit with a $5 co-pay for each visit only, and an annuity-based pension in CalPers. They earn 2% points per year of service with the total percentage of their highest salary being their lifetime pension salary. Plus they get matching funds in a 401K. There is a bunch of other perks... free Redwing shoes every six months and more.

So, someone tell me why tip them? The usual line of being underpaid does not work in this case.

guimus
01-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Where's BWeise on this one? For once, him and I are probably going to agree and ask why tip a government employee when they get a great benefit package unheard of in the private sector? It is not like they are a waiter/waitress making darn near minimum wage with no 401K, annuity pension, and free medical benefits before/after retirement.

These people make at least the living wage which is about $25/hour, have an outstanding medical benefit with a $5 co-pay for each visit only, and an annuity-based pension in CalPers. They earn 2% points per year of service with the total percentage of their highest salary being their lifetime pension salary. Plus they get matching funds in a 401K. There is a bunch of other perks... free Redwing shoes every six months and more.

So, someone tell me why tip them? The usual line of being underpaid does not work in this case.

Ummm...I have pretty serious doubts that they're paying the boys pulling much above minimum wage. Also, the only county parks employees making 25/hour are either administration sitting at a desk, law enforcement, or skilled maintenance. Most are a whole lot closer to 10/hour.

stator
01-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Santa Clara county and San Jose city employees have to be paid the "living wage" replacing the federal minium wage. Both the County supervisors and city councilmembers passed ordinances requiring so. I do not know if you are from this area or not, but both the county and the city are controlled by very liberal politicians who hate the federal minimum wage.

My wifes Uncles and one aunt are school janitors. The two Uncles make almost $50K/year due to seniority. The aunt made $38K/year but does not have the seniority of the other two. She is stuck in the entry level because she cannot pass the advancement test (it is very easy). I do their taxes and seen their W2s.

California minimum wage here is now $8/hr for non-exempt, $31.2K/yr for exempt which is scheduled to increase to $33.28/yr in 2008.

The ones that make less than the living wage are not government employees but contractors. The living wage is the bruha behind the San Jose convention center proposal to shift from city employees to contractors. The employees just cost too much compared to the prevailing market rates. It keeps the convention from getting out of the "red".

It seems like only Bill and I know much about the fleecing of taxpayers in this regard.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
01-30-2007, 1:14 PM
California minimum wage here is now $8/hr for non-exempt, $31.2K/yr for exempt which is scheduled to increase to $33.28/yr in 2008.

It seems like only Bill and I know much about the fleecing of taxpayers in this regard.
I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I'm pretty sure your $8/hr number is in error. The poster on the wall here says $7.50 in Jan 07, $8 next year.

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
01-30-2007, 10:22 PM
They provide a service and probably get paid minimum wage (but not sure). Doesn't matter anyway. Hey, I'll tip a waiter for bringing me food -- even if I don't like the food. But I've NEVER disliked the pigeons they serve!

Exception may be if the owner of the club does the pullin'. Much like a restaurant or hair salon, I don't think it's considered necessary to tip owners. But not sure. If I feel like the club is small and maybe struggling, I'd still tip.

Gnote
01-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Yes. Normally a buck per round. Just started one day and never stopped until the range closed down.

guimus
01-30-2007, 11:43 PM
They provide a service and probably get paid minimum wage (but not sure). Doesn't matter anyway. Hey, I'll tip a waiter for bringing me food -- even if I don't like the food. But I've NEVER disliked the pigeons they serve!

Exception may be if the owner of the club does the pullin'. Much like a restaurant or hair salon, I don't think it's considered necessary to tip owners. But not sure. If I feel like the club is small and maybe struggling, I'd still tip.

I think this is one of the better posts on this yet, and I agree completely. My family members have spent so much time in customer service that I'm thankful for every day I spend working in a non-customer service environment. Unless someone providing me a service such as these is exceptionally rude, I tip well. I've also found that I get amazing service at the few restaurants where I'm a regular and from my mechanic (I give him wholesale rate on bike parts). People know when they're appreciated, and they'll respond in kind.