PDA

View Full Version : california and it's legislature...a rant

donw
08-24-2011, 8:19 AM
i don't know about you guys...but i feel like this state legislature is determined to render any gun rights we have useless by all the legislation they introduce.

it appears to me that they do exactly what they feel like.

it seems a few, like Kevin Deleon, mark leno and a few others, draw up some of the most preposterous legislation and the others just blindly and ignorantly follow along with them.

the state of California has NO FIREARMS OWNERSHIP RIGHTS in its constitution and bitterly accepts the ruling of the SCOTUS that the 2A DOES apply to the individual states.

we, you and i, are, in the end, directly responsible for all that's gone amuck in the legislature by allowing legislators like them to be elected and...then to be RE-elected...

i believe we gun owners/hunters/shooters, in California, and the U.S., are nearing a turning point; a critical one.

we all know Hilary Klinton is bowing to the altar of the UN by negotiating a "Small Arms" treaty and the current resident of the white house are running a huge scam by way of "Fast and furious" to severely cripple gun owning rights.

add it all up and what do you come up with?

in the very near future, there will be a move to "Grab our guns" and even thought there are 80 million gun owners in the U.S. protesting, it will fall on deaf ears...history IS repetitive...look at England, Germany, France, Italy to name just a few with a rich, history of hunting, shooting and firearms...mostly gone now. all in the name of "It's better for the greater good of all."

:chris:

i think I'd better switch back to decaf...:(

ccmc
08-24-2011, 8:27 AM
All that is why the 2012 election is so important. If Obama gets re-elected (and I think that's very likely) he has four years to appoint more SCOTUS justices a la Sotomayor and Kagan. Scalia, while still full of piss and vinegar, is in his 70's, and at that age anything can happen healthwise.

I fully agree with your take on the CA legislature. Put the right people into office, and y'all would have shall issue virtually overnight instead of having to slog it out in the courts.

dalriaden
08-24-2011, 9:10 AM
Its not just Ca, when I lived in Al there were tons of investigations into corruption and bribing public officials. Honestly the state of the government everywhere is just disgraceful. Hopefully with the 2012 elections the american perspective will change and lean more towards being independent but I'm not holding my breath.

Uxi
08-24-2011, 10:34 AM
All that is why the 2012 election is so important. If Obama gets re-elected (and I think that's very likely) he has four years to appoint more SCOTUS justices a la Sotomayor and Kagan. Scalia, while still full of piss and vinegar, is in his 70's, and at that age anything can happen healthwise.

Agreed 100%.

I fully agree with your take on the CA legislature. Put the right people into office, and y'all would have shall issue virtually overnight instead of having to slog it out in the courts.

Unfortunately impossible. LA & SF are off the deep end and that's the giant bulk of the population. Probably have an easier time getting Communist China to endorse the RKBA.

vantec08
08-24-2011, 11:28 AM
What do I come up with? a sick, inbred society that doesnt have the courage to make the necessary changes to retain what the founders intended, which certainly includes the 2nd amendment. I dont know how to get it thru to people -- we have started the Great Inexorable Slide. It would require a MASSIVE re-alignment of priorities at the personal and societal levels to stop the slide, and history does not favor that happening. Buy ammo.

Pixs
08-24-2011, 11:51 AM
The Dems. need your help; re regester as a dem. and get the bad guys in the primary. Resume repb. at the polls.

mrrsquared79
08-24-2011, 12:59 PM
The Dems. need your help; re regester as a dem. and get the bad guys in the primary. Resume repb. at the polls.

To get a mass of people to do this would be a monumental task to make any difference. If one was to do this, who is to stop the opposition from doing the exact same thing thus negating our efforts.

:(

bwiese
08-24-2011, 1:03 PM
You can't blame CA Dems when it's the CA Republicans that keep giving them elections.

loose_electron
08-24-2011, 1:09 PM
On this issue, I would drop the Repub vs. Demo and stick with the pro/con RKBA.

There are folks both Red/Blue that are Pro/Con RKBA.

I **do** agree that the the R's tend to be more pro 2A but there are exceptions.

PCPerks
08-24-2011, 1:16 PM
While CA doesn't have firearm ownership in the state constitution, it starts out pretty good if you ask me:

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

SECTION 1. All people are by nature free and independent and have
inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and defending life and
liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing
and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.

Then again, the politicians don't abide by the US Constitution, so they sure as hell aren't going to pay attention to the states.

Midian
08-24-2011, 1:21 PM
You'd better get out of the left/right Rep/Dem Coke/Pepsi dualopoly if you want to spearhead any return to Constitutionality.

THESE PEOPLE DON'T CARE ABOUT US. THEY ARE OWNED AND OPERATED AND BLACKMAILED BY THOSE THAT FINANCED THEIR RISE TO POWER

This is why we have to expose, resist, and ultimately remove them.

missiondude
08-24-2011, 1:32 PM
You can't blame CA Dems when it's the CA Republicans that keep giving them elections.

I think the numbers in this state are so skewed, that if a turd sandwich ran with a (D) next to his name in many areas, he would win hands down... Oh well, that explains DeLeon:rolleyes:

rysmithjr
08-24-2011, 2:09 PM
I think the numbers in this state are so skewed, that if a turd sandwich ran with a (D) next to his name in many areas, he would win hands down... Oh well, that explains DeLeon:rolleyes:

might also explain why I recently switched my party affiliation on voter registration records from Independent to Democrat...researching the Democratic Freedom Caucus now.

OleCuss
08-24-2011, 2:18 PM
might also explain why I recently switched my party affiliation on voter registration records from Independent to Democrat...researching the Democratic Freedom Caucus now.

That really does make some sense.

The Republicans tend to think that they have to go "moderate" to get elected in this state so even those who are elected are sometimes close to useless as a counterweight to the loonies in the Democrat party.

So if a bunch of people of a libertarian bent were to join the Democrat party and arrange for people of a libertarian bent to run as Democrats - it might do something to shift the state politically.

Uxi
08-24-2011, 2:38 PM

Seriously. If it just weak Republicans, there might be the oddball conservative Democrat and the Democrat primaries would mean something. They don't.

Instead most of the Republicans are RINO like the ex-Governator who might as well have been a Democrat.

diginit
08-24-2011, 4:28 PM
I wonder if our government will use lethal force when US citizens finally revolt in mass numbers...

vantec08
08-24-2011, 7:41 PM
I wonder if our government will use lethal force when US citizens finally revolt in mass numbers...

guarantee it.

GrayWolf09
08-24-2011, 8:26 PM

Its not just Ca, when I lived in Al there were tons of investigations into corruption and bribing public officials. Honestly the state of the government everywhere is just disgraceful. Hopefully with the 2012 elections the american perspective will change and lean more towards being independent but I'm not holding my breath.

What Bill is referring to is the Republicans choice of the "hard right" candidate with no chance of election, over a more moderate candidate who could win election. A good example is choosing Carly Fiorina, a failed CEO who outsourced massive amounts of jobs over Tom Campbell, a moderate with a good chance of beating a very vulnerable Barbara Boxer. So why are a lot of you continuing the old bromide of "hard right".

Actually the trend both in California and nationwide is more toward independent. If the trend continues in California the Republican Party may find itself in third place behind the Democratic Party and Decline to State.

Viewed in that light you may want to ask those organizations supposedly fighting for your Second Amendment Rights what they are doing to build coalitions across party lines to protect those rights rather than putting all our eggs in a basket full of holes.

Trailboss60
08-24-2011, 11:29 PM
What Bill is referring to is the Republicans choice of the "hard right" candidate with no chance of election, over a more moderate candidate who could win election. A good example is choosing Carly Fiorina, a failed CEO who outsourced massive amounts of jobs over Tom Campbell, a moderate with a good chance of beating a very vulnerable Barbara Boxer. So why are a lot of you continuing the old bromide of "hard right".

Actually the trend both in California and nationwide is more toward independent. If the trend continues in California the Republican Party may find itself in third place behind the Democratic Party and Decline to State.

Great strategy, break up the "red", turn half of it to "green"...Now that is a strategy for winning!:rolleyes:

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2009/04/23/ibn_yhlmu_yhLMU_19672.png

I agree...the Republican party of California sucks, but it certainly isn't because they don't support the "moderates" enough...just the opposite.
"Hard right " Tom McClintock would have been a hell of a lot better than "moderate" gun grabbing Sperminator.....

The fact of the matter is, it is a two party system, for the most part Democrats have proved time and time again, their total disregard for the second amendment...the anti-gun groups proudly herald the fact that their heroes are predominately democrats, if precinct by precinct, the California Republicans could effectively organize and motivate, that would be the best chance of advancing the pro-RTKBA cause.

maybe the NRA could build a coalition with the likes of Saldana, and Deleon?...I don't think so.:rolleyes:

bwiese
08-25-2011, 12:34 AM
I agree...the Republican party of California sucks, but it certainly isn't because they don't support the "moderates" enough...just the opposite.
"Hard right " Tom McClintock would have been a hell of a lot better than

If Tom McClintock had had the Reep nod instead of Schwarzennegger, we would have Cruz Bustamente as governor - by several percentage points. Schwarzennegger had enough name recognition, a bit of 'outsider' novelty vote, lack of perceived extremeness by the broad swing voter base and got quite a bit of the crossover vote that Tom McC could simply NOT attain.

CA "conservatives" - i.e, those with religious/abortion/hard-anti-LGBT baggage that often takes a priority over other stances - are not electable to statewide office in CA. Period. CA fiscal/libertarian conservatives ARE if they keep politics out of the bedroom and church. And these "conservatives" are so autistic that they think, after losing, they need to move further to the "right".

Now, while McClintock is analytically different than some of the Orange County types, voters don't detect that and would have lumped him in with the rest.

GrayWolf:

Tom Campbell really that great in terms of electability even with his 'moderate' stance, he's kinda a milquetoastish academic. And he's an antigunner, so screw him (some of you may recall where he visted Calguns, debated several of us, and tried to say there was a country/city difference in RKBA!!)

Fiorina COULD have won - the race wasn't that far apart BUT she opened her mouth about abortion and that lost her at least 4 points and there was a steep drop in the polls amongst female/swing voters after she made these utterances. Most ordinary voters did not care much about internal HP politics and she did clean a lot of dead wood out of HP. (As I recall, Agilent was spun off before she took command). She likely set up HP profitability rise about 6 months or so after she left once things were running well - in fact, Hurd got a company running OK on cruise control.

Ford8N
08-25-2011, 4:35 AM
If Tom McClintock had had the Reep nod instead of Schwarzennegger, we would have Cruz Bustamente as governor - by several percentage points. Schwarzennegger had enough name recognition, a bit of 'outsider' novelty vote, lack of perceived extremeness by the broad swing voter base and got quite a bit of the crossover vote that Tom McC could simply NOT attain.

CA "conservatives" - i.e, those with religious/abortion/hard-anti-LGBT baggage that often takes a priority over other stances - are not electable to statewide office in CA. Period. CA fiscal/libertarian conservatives ARE if they keep politics out of the bedroom and church. And these "conservatives" are so autistic that they think, after losing, they need to move further to the "right".

Now, while McClintock is analytically different than some of the Orange County types, voters don't detect that and would have lumped him in with the rest.

GrayWolf:

Tom Campbell really that great in terms of electability even with his 'moderate' stance, he's kinda a milquetoastish academic. And he's an antigunner, so screw him (some of you may recall where he visted Calguns, debated several of us, and tried to say there was a country/city difference in RKBA!!)

Fiorina COULD have won - the race wasn't that far apart BUT she opened her mouth about abortion and that lost her at least 4 points and there was a steep drop in the polls amongst female/swing voters after she made these utterances. Most ordinary voters did not care much about internal HP politics and she did clean a lot of dead wood out of HP. (As I recall, Agilent was spun off before she took command). She likely set up HP profitability rise about 6 months or so after she left once things were running well - in fact, Hurd got a company running OK on cruise control.

This ^^^^

The religious right in California are a definite lose. If they would just worry about what goes on in their own bedroom rather than others, they might have a chance....might.

CDFingers
08-25-2011, 4:46 AM
If we think about D vs R we will blow it. The denial to carry is more geographical than party based.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7774/caccwmapbig.png

When we over lay the above map with party affiliation, we don't get a nice D vs R correlation.

I think the best strategy is to make three states out of California because we're not going to change the minds of most people who vote against guns.

If we think about making new states and break the state roughly into thirds, we see that mostly the southern part CA would have strongly restricted carry rights. The central part would have a fight. The northern part easily would be a nice place to be a gun owner.

CDFingers

Rekrab
08-25-2011, 4:48 AM
It's tough being a gun owner because the Left hates guns and the Right hates rights.

Trailboss60
08-25-2011, 6:49 AM
With the political analysis going on in a few of the last posts, enjoy the democrat leaders for what they are, because with the views reflected, they will be leading you for a long, long time.:D :(

In states where Republican leadership is strong, I fail to see where any sort of theocracy is the dream, or people are stripped of their rights, just because the politicians don't adopt the gay political agenda...

As for McClintock couldn't beat busted monkey? WTF????
Once you start playing that game, you have just hitched your wagon to failure.....

Splitting pro-rights California from the nutcases in L.A.and SF, and creating separate states is a dream, that will always be just a dream...ain't gonna happen.

Uxi
08-25-2011, 7:44 AM

If anything, State politics show the opposite. Religious and social conservatives are more relatively successful with things like Prop 8 which gets lots of minority votes from blacks and latinos while it's fiscal conservatism that NEVER wins around here. Look at the attempts to roll back the "Global Warming aka Green Jobs" and the subway to nowhere. Simple fact of it is that San Francisco and Los Angeles areas are to the left on both economics and social issues and drown out the rest of the inland counties, who are lucky to bring any sort of moderation period.

If your theory was right, libertarian Democrats would have traction in the primaries in certain areas as an alternative to the Republicans, but there aren't any of those unicorns either. Where are the elected pro-gun Democrats in the state? Any Democrat fiscal conservatives?

Uxi
08-25-2011, 7:56 AM
When we over lay the above map with party affiliation, we don't get a nice D vs R correlation.

Uh, yeah there is. I'd preface by saying the red/blue is never as good as the political maps that show the purples, but look at southern California, specifically Imperial County, Los Angeles County, and Santa Barbara county. Dark Red: Check. Blue: check. Surrounded by Red-politics and Green LTC. San Diego is the only significant Red outlier on LTC and that's just as much due to the Sherriff.

Mendocino, Humbolt, and SLO are Blue outliers on LTC but I'd argue their significance. Alpine and Mono? Inland and surrounded by LTC friendly areas. And relatively insignificant.

I think the best strategy is to make three states out of California because we're not going to change the minds of most people who vote against guns.

Three would never happen. North somewhere between Fresno and Bakersfield could be doable. Each gets a huge center of leftist politics, though. SF/Bay area for the North and LA for the South, neither with a significant counterweight.

GrayWolf09
08-25-2011, 8:32 AM
GrayWolf:

Ask the McCain campaign if Fiorina had a history of sticking her foot in her mouth. Ask any HP employee what they think of Carly. You will get an earful. She destroyed their corporate culture and tanked the stock.
I'm not complaining by the way. I am much happier with Boxer than I would be with Fiorina.

Where are the elected pro-gun Democrats in the state? Any Democrat fiscal conservatives?

Jerry Brown

The fact of the matter is, it is a two party system, for the most part Democrats have proved time and time again, their total disregard for the second amendment...the anti-gun groups proudly herald the fact that their heroes are predominately democrats, if precinct by precinct, the California Republicans could effectively organize and motivate, that would be the best chance of advancing the pro-RTKBA cause.

maybe the NRA could build a coalition with the likes of Saldana, and Deleon?...I don't think so.:rolleyes:

I don't understand why people on this forum keep kicking everyone on the left in the teeth and then wonder why they won't work with them on Second Amendment issues -- witness all the garbage Bill Weise had to put up with when he said Jerry Brown and Harry Reid were pro Second Amendment. Running "hard-right" is great strategy. It won every statewide office in the last election --- for the Democrats.

It is also a wonderful idea to tie our Second Amendment rights to a political ideology and party which is growing increasingly irrelevant in California -- NOT!

Look at the amicus briefs in McDonald. We could form coalitions with others over issues of common interest and across ideological and party lines. But that won't work for the compromise = surrender crowd will it?

bwiese
08-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Ask the McCain campaign if Fiorina had a history of sticking her foot in her mouth.

Yes, but that was pretty separate/decoupled from her Senate race.

Ask any HP employee what they think of Carly. You will get an earful.
She destroyed their corporate culture and tanked the stock.

Many of these were laid-off employees with an axe to grind. That culture needed to be destroyed... yeah, a bit of the baby went out with he bath water but not much.

The 'Bill and Dave HP Way' had morphed into an over-consultative, do-nothing, profits-aren't that relative culture that had no immediacy built into it.

The producers that stayed may not have liked her but they made money (stock options/401K etc.) after her departure and up til the Hurd debacle last year.

Fiorina actually got a lot of the biz squared away so Hurd could just 'run the numbers' on cruise control...

Somehow you think companies exist for the pleasure of their employees.

bwiese
08-25-2011, 11:04 AM
With the political analysis going on in a few of the last posts, enjoy the democrat leaders for what they are, because with the views reflected, they will be leading you for a long, long time.:D :(

Yup, unfortunately so, because the CA Reeps can't win an election.

In states where Republican leadership is strong, I fail to see where any sort of theocracy is the dream, or people are stripped of their rights, just because the politicians don't adopt the gay political agenda...

Back up for a second. WTH do other states have to do with CA?
Our population skew/voter demographics are much much different.

And it has nothing to do with what YOU feel is the reason - this is what the VOTERS IN CA seem to have expressed thru REPEATED RESULTS AT THE POLL.

Call me when a Republican is able to win a statewide up-list political office.

The last one Reeps had was insurance commissioner. Right now they couldn't elect state dogcatcher. Even when every other state was turning away from Obama/Dems etc. California delved deeper.

As for McClintock couldn't beat busted monkey? WTF????

Absolutely.

I worked the numbers out here several years ago and posted the percent breakdowns. It's probably searchable.

McClintock would only get Reeps, who are already a minority even in registration, and would not get too many crossover voters. He also did not have any personality advantage over the Cruzamonte - both were kind of bland.

Bustamante would simply, by contrast, execute on his registration advantage and keep his mouth shut and kiss babies and he'd've beaten McClintock by somewhere around 7 points.

Schwarzie was able to get crossover and novelty voters and appeared at the time relatively and refreshingly apolitical, which was appealing. He had 'personality'/'screen presence' which was a refreshing change to average voter from the Gray Davis era and the bland Cruzamonte as well.

Until the Reeps realize they are 100% total failure in CA at a statewide basis - look, they have no bench to draw from - i.e, that can move a legislator upward - they get rich 'outliers' like Meg Whitman that parachute in. The party structure gets seduced by these 'business' types with no personality because they contribute funds and save $$$ from party coffers.... and when these candidates flame out, the party leaders still have their jobs (and funds).

bwiese
08-25-2011, 11:10 AM
If anything, State politics show the opposite. Religious and social conservatives are more relatively successful with things like Prop 8 which gets lots of minority votes from blacks and latinos

Prop 8 was a one-time anomaly based on overlap coupling with Obama's election.

The numbers are looking like it would not be repeatable now.

You had to get a normally not-that-participative vote out triggered by massive "he's one of us" sentiment for Obama and get them to also vote party opposite. That's a tall order and unique.

.. while it's fiscal conservatism that NEVER wins around here.

The swing suburban vote is not that spendthrift. They're just alienated by the Reep BS. Silicon Valley used to vote R commonly - and these are folks with money to defend, but the CA Reep platform stinks so bad in other aspects that these folks dislike it enough to vote against their money (taxes).

Sure, it ain't Utah, but you could get a Pete Wilson-style R gov in today if the individual and party were decoupled from the CA Reep baggage, esp on abortion/choice matters.

Where are the elected pro-gun Democrats in the state? Any Democrat fiscal conservatives?

Quite a few D's that are pro-gun and not that spendthrify in Central Valley (though some will vote for state rail system as a 'jobs' program).

Arondos
08-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Everything must be fine in this state. They have nothing better to do than pass a state law so no localities can ban circumcision. You've got to be kidding me? They have nothing more important to do than circumcision, bed sheets, and ammo?

darkwater
08-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Do you think if we drive home the "gun rights = civil rights" message that we could sway some anti-gun Dems to our side, since they usually champion civil rights?

Uxi
08-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Prop 8 was a one-time anomaly based on overlap coupling with Obama's election.

The numbers are looking like it would not be repeatable now.

You had to get a normally not-that-participative vote out triggered by massive "he's one of us" sentiment for Obama and get them to also vote party opposite. That's a tall order and unique.

Not entirely unique. Blacks and Latino statistically are not that receptive to homosexuality, for cultural and religious reasons. Can't touch any of the spending programs, though. If recent politics have shown anything, there's a room for a bizzaro-anti-libertarian party that's socially conservative and economically spend-thrift.

The swing suburban vote is not that spendthrift. They're just alienated by the Reep BS. Silicon Valley used to vote R commonly - and

Since when? Doesn't appear to be so since the 90's at the latest.

Sure, it ain't Utah, but you could get a Pete Wilson-style R gov in today if the individual and party were decoupled from the CA Reep baggage, esp on abortion/choice matters.

Extremely doubtful. Wilson was mostly for the 187 anti-illegal immigration tack, etc. Times have changed. Wilson was pro-choice IIRC but conservative just about everywhere else. I seem to remember vetoing something and getting burned in effigy and Godwin'ed by the gay lobby.

Quite a few D's that are pro-gun and not that spendthrify in Central Valley (though some will vote for state rail system as a 'jobs' program).

Can you name a couple? I'm curious on their voting records.

macadamizer
08-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Schwarzie was able to get crossover and novelty voters and appeared at the time relatively and refreshingly apolitical, which was appealing. He had 'personality'/'screen presence' which was a refreshing change to average voter from the Gray Davis era and the bland Cruzamonte as well.

Another thing about Arnold that is relevant, he was first elected after Davis was recalled when everyone from Arnold to porn stars cast their names into the running for governor -- he didn't have to go through a whole campaign cycle, he was able to get elected based on name recognition in the power vacuum that existed after Davis' departure.

When it came time for reelection, the economy was humming along and he was still new enough to seem "fresh" and, like you noted, "apolitical." That changed pretty quickly after he won reelection, but it was too late by then.

I still submit that if Arnold had ever had to really run a full-length contested campaign, he never would have had a hope of getting elected.

ccmc
08-25-2011, 1:00 PM
WTH do other states have to do with CA?
Our population skew/voter demographics are much much different.

Per 2010 census California is 37 pct hispanic, 5.8 pct black, 4 pct American Indian, 12.8 pct Asian, 2 pct Pacific Islands, 2.6 pct mixed race.

Per 2010 census Florida is 22.5 pct hispanic, 16 pct black, 0.4 pct American Indian, 2.4 pct Asian, 0.1 pct Pacific Islands, 2.5 pct mixed race.

Just sayin'.

bwiese
08-25-2011, 1:23 PM
Per 2010 census California is 37 pct hispanic, 5.8 pct black, 4 pct American Indian, 12.8 pct Asian, 2 pct Pacific Islands, 2.6 pct mixed race.

Per 2010 census Florida is 22.5 pct hispanic, 16 pct black, 0.4 pct American Indian, 2.4 pct Asian, 0.1 pct Pacific Islands, 2.5 pct mixed race.

Just sayin'.

Those numbers aren't as relevant as the younger unmarried female skew and the sex balance in the vote, as well as differences in depth of religious association. Florida's a different animal

Milsurp Collector
08-25-2011, 1:25 PM

In California, even a dead Democrat can beat a living Republican.

Jenny Oropeza died last month, but her political career lives on.

The deceased California Democrat won re-election to the State Senate by a comfortable margin, besting Republican challenger John Stammreich, 58% to 36%.

Oropeza passed away on October 20, too late to replace her on the ballot for the state's 28th Senate district, which includes parts of Long Beach, Los Angeles and the South Bay.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/03/jenny-oropeza-wins-califo_n_778113.html

macadamizer
08-25-2011, 1:32 PM
In California, even a dead Democrat can beat a living Republican.

Or that the voters thought that whomever would be named to the position in place of the dead guy would be better than the republican running against him.

ccmc
08-25-2011, 1:33 PM
Those numbers aren't as relevant as the younger unmarried female skew and the sex balance in the vote, as well as differences in depth of religious association. Florida's a different animal

Hard to quantify depth of religious association, but again per the 2010 census females are 49.9 pct of California's population and 50.8 pct of Florida's population. Median ages weren't given, but 63.3 pct of California's population is between the ages of 18 and 65, while 60.9 pct of Florida's population is between the ages of 18 and 65.

77bawls
08-25-2011, 1:37 PM
It's tough being a gun owner because the Left hates guns and the Right hates rights.

Yup, I feel the same way. I think that strongly puts me in the Libertarian category. Is that thinking really not that common to see more of a libertarian presence winning in at the polls?

Uxi
08-25-2011, 1:40 PM
Even without the Catholicism, the Mexican population is not nearly as sympathetic to homosexuality or abortion, but combined it's a potentially board changing political situation brewing. Most of the Republicans who they would normally align with alienate them since they're honkeys who also toe a hard line against illegal immigration. Eventually some conservative Latinos should pop up, though their party label could vary depending on the economics, probably both.

ccmc
08-25-2011, 1:54 PM
Eventually some conservative Latinos should pop up

You mean like Florida Senator Marco Rubio (who also has a Florida CWFL)?

Mea culpa the American Indian population of California is 1 pct, not 4 pct like I originally posted.

Milsurp Collector
08-25-2011, 1:58 PM
Or that the voters thought that whomever would be named to the position in place of the dead guy would be better than the republican running against him.

Sen. Oropeza was a woman, and it is more likely the voters just voted for the candidate that had Democrat after their name, not knowing that she was dead.

The California State Legislature currently has a Democratic majority, with the Senate consisting of 25 Democrats and 15 Republicans and the Assembly consisting of 52 Democrats and 28 Republicans. Except for the period from 1995 to 1996, the Assembly has been in Democratic hands since the 1970 election (even while the governor's office has gone back and forth between Republicans and Democrats). The Senate has been in Democratic hands continuously since 1970.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Legislature

Democrats have controlled the Legislature for more than 40 years. If anything, the state has become even more strongly Democratic since 1970 (the Democratic Presidential candidate won California in 5 out of the past 5 elections). Chance of Republicans gaining control of the Legislature: zero. California Democrats are not like Democrats in Georgia or Tennessee. Chance of California Democrats adopting a pro-gun rights stance: zero.

Even if every single Calguns member voted for pro-gun candidates it wouldn't make any difference in a state with 17 million registered voters. There is essentially a permanent anti-gun rights majority in the California Legislature.

Uxi
08-25-2011, 1:59 PM
You mean like Florida Senator Marco Rubio (who also has a Florida CWFL)?

Yup. Exactly who I was thinking of.

GrayWolf09
08-25-2011, 3:58 PM
Yes, but that was pretty separate/decoupled from her Senate race.

Many of these were laid-off employees with an axe to grind. That culture needed to be destroyed... yeah, a bit of the baby went out with he bath water but not much.

The 'Bill and Dave HP Way' had morphed into an over-consultative, do-nothing, profits-aren't that relative culture that had no immediacy built into it.

The producers that stayed may not have liked her but they made money (stock options/401K etc.) after her departure and up til the Hurd debacle last year.

Fiorina actually got a lot of the biz squared away so Hurd could just 'run the numbers' on cruise control...

Somehow you think companies exist for the pleasure of their employees.

Carly had a history of saying stupid, inappropriate and insensitive things. This pattern carried over into her senate race. If she was so frickin' brilliant then why did the HP Board of Directors fire her?

Call me old fashioned but I believe that you maximize productivity when employees are treated with dignity and respect, paid a decent wage and believe that they are valued and are making a difference -- like this guy: http://www.deliveringhappiness.com/

Then again I do not believe that we should pattern our environmental regulations or our employee relations laws after China. I do believe, however, that our current corporate culture of maximizing short term profits even to the detriment of long term growth will reduce us to a second tier nation in the future.

GrayWolf09
08-25-2011, 4:01 PM
Even without the Catholicism, the Mexican population is not nearly as sympathetic to homosexuality or abortion, but combined it's a potentially board changing political situation brewing. Most of the Republicans who they would normally align with alienate them since they're honkeys who also toe a hard line against illegal immigration. Eventually some conservative Latinos should pop up, though their party label could vary depending on the economics, probably both.

Sounds like a brilliant strategy! Especially since 90% of youth age 16 to 34 have no problem with gay marriage or women controlling their reproductive rights. You will almost certainly marginalize the Republican Party. :mnl:

bwiese
08-25-2011, 4:26 PM
Carly had a history of saying stupid, inappropriate and insensitive things. This pattern carried over into her senate race. If she was so frickin' brilliant then why did the HP Board of Directors fire her?

Internal tension. Not everybody gets along.

I believe several of those board members are in jeapordy anyway.

Call me old fashioned but I believe that you maximize productivity when employees are treated with dignity and respect, paid a decent wage and believe that they are valued and are making a difference -- like this guy...HP had 10 years of many people hiding behind the HP Way bureacracy. And Agilent (the real brainpower) had already been spun off.

BTW, we have enough environmental regulations. Nobody's dumping sulfuric acid in the Detroit river anymore. We've reached the diminishing returns stage where more enviro whackiness accumulates and may cause more ultimate pollution gilding the lily (excess EPA staff, travel etc. all add up).

Anyway the HP stuff was small beans as to her candidacy as Senator. She was very close until she mentioned the pro-life stuff... and sank several points a day or two right after.

bwiese
08-25-2011, 4:31 PM
Democrats have controlled the Legislature for more than 40 years. If anything, the state has become even more strongly Democratic since 1970 (the Democratic Presidential candidate won California in 5 out of the past 5 elections). Chance of Republicans gaining control of the Legislature: zero. California Democrats are not like Democrats in Georgia or Tennessee. Chance of California Democrats adopting a pro-gun rights stance: zero.

Even if every single Calguns member voted for pro-gun candidates it wouldn't make any difference in a state with 17 million registered voters. There is essentially a permanent anti-gun rights majority in the California Legislature.

Yes, but things were different in the past esp w/regards to guns:

1.) Republicans weren't on the edge of going under 1/3rd. Even if a minority they still carried enough numbers and seniority
that coalitions were needed. The existence of these extra Reeps stopped the Dems from going too far left.

2.) Before we had term limits, we'd "educate" some legislators by application of pressure. Eventually they tired of throwing up
gun laws and would still stay in relatively safe seats. Now, with term limits, legilsators are now looking for their next seat and
throw up any legislation - including bad gun laws - just to see what sticks so they can say they've been 'doing something'

InGrAM
08-25-2011, 4:31 PM

I find that to be very racist. Keep the racist language out of your posts.

thepunisher
08-25-2011, 4:45 PM
Anyone ready to eat crow if Jerry Brown signs the antigun bills?

I will be very impressed if he vetos them and it will change my view of him.

:lurk5:

Milsurp Collector
08-25-2011, 4:45 PM
Yes, but things were different in the past esp w/regards to guns:

1.) Republicans weren't on the edge of going under 1/3rd. Even if a minority they still carried enough numbers and seniority
that coalitions were needed. The existence of these extra Reeps stopped the Dems from going too far left.

2.) Before we had term limits, we'd "educate" some legislators by application of pressure. Eventually they tired of throwing up
gun laws and would still stay in relatively safe seats. Now, with term limits, legilsators are now looking for their next seat and
throw up any legislation - including bad gun laws - just to see what sticks so they can say they've been 'doing something'

In other words, the situation is even worse for gun rights than I described. There are too few Republicans to restrain the Democrats (and with the number of registered Republicans in California declining http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/jtf/JTF_LikelyVotersJTF.pdf that is likely to continue) and legislators are busy writing bad gun laws - which doesn't seem to hurt them at all politically in California - just to look busy.

Uxi
08-25-2011, 5:12 PM
Especially since 90% of youth age 16 to 34 have no problem with gay marriage or women controlling their reproductive rights.

What percentage of statistics on the interwebs are made up again? :TFH:

I'm simply saying that Mexican-American population is growing and it's largely not sympathetic to the pro gay or abortion politics.

Recognizing that demographic could be a huge potential to bolster the RTKBA at the State level, as well. In Mexico, there is no right to bear arms and here they are capable of defending themselves. 2nd and 3rd generations won't realize that as much as the first... wonder if there are any Mexican-American gun rights groups in this State? If not, perhaps there should be.

I find that to be very racist. Keep the racist language out of your posts.

Oh, I've always thought that adjective was rather absurd. Apologize if you were offended as it was intended facetiously.

Uxi
08-25-2011, 5:13 PM
Anyone ready to eat crow if Jerry Brown signs the antigun bills?

I will be very impressed if he vetos them and it will change my view of him.

:lurk5:

Yup, I'll admit I was wrong if he vetoes them.

Tarn_Helm
08-25-2011, 5:38 PM
i don't know about you guys...but i feel like this state legislature is determined to render any gun rights we have useless by all the legislation they introduce.

it appears to me that they do exactly what they feel like.

it seems a few, like Kevin Deleon, mark leno and a few others, draw up some of the most preposterous legislation and the others just blindly and ignorantly follow along with them.

the state of California has NO FIREARMS OWNERSHIP RIGHTS in its constitution and bitterly accepts the ruling of the SCOTUS that the 2A DOES apply to the individual states.

we, you and i, are, in the end, directly responsible for all that's gone amuck in the legislature by allowing legislators like them to be elected and...then to be RE-elected...

i believe we gun owners/hunters/shooters, in California, and the U.S., are nearing a turning point; a critical one.

we all know Hilary Klinton is bowing to the altar of the UN by negotiating a "Small Arms" treaty and the current resident of the white house are running a huge scam by way of "Fast and furious" to severely cripple gun owning rights.

add it all up and what do you come up with?

in the very near future, there will be a move to "Grab our guns" and even thought there are 80 million gun owners in the U.S. protesting, it will fall on deaf ears...history IS repetitive...look at England, Germany, France, Italy to name just a few with a rich, history of hunting, shooting and firearms...mostly gone now. all in the name of "It's better for the greater good of all."

i think I'd better switch back to decaf...:(

Rename this thread, "Mexico and its Legislature."

Then it will all make sense--from the anti-American gun laws to the various laws regarding illegal aliens, such as Special Order 40 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Order_40)--and don't forget financial aid for illegal aliens.

The primarily "Mexican-American" lawmakers of this state are running this state as if it is the capital of Mexico, complete with restrictive, unconstitutional gun laws and laws that favor Mexican nationals more than U.S. citizens.

Any more questions?

Milsurp Collector
08-25-2011, 6:00 PM
I'm simply saying that Mexican-American population is growing and it's largely not sympathetic to the pro gay or abortion politics.

Recognizing that demographic could be a huge potential to bolster the RTKBA at the State level, as well.

While California's Latino voters are just as likely to identify themselves as politically liberal (34%) as middle-of-the-road (33%) or conservative (33%), they are overwhelmingly Democratic (65%) http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/jtf/JTF_LatinoVotersJTF.pdf and therefore will tend to support politicians who are anti-gun rights.

ccmc
08-25-2011, 6:11 PM
Yup. Exactly who I was thinking of.

Rubio also won a majority or the vote in a three way race. The only anti RKBA candidate in the race was democrat Kendrick Meek who didn't even get 20 pct of the vote IIRC. The candidate was ex-governor Charlie Crist who ran as an independent after losing the republican primary to Rubio. Both Crist and Rubio got A grades from the NRA while Meek got an F.

Now contrast Rubio to the two dinosaurs that represent California in the US Senate.

Uxi
08-25-2011, 6:31 PM
While California's Latino voters are just as likely to identify themselves as politically liberal (34%) as middle-of-the-road (33%) or conservative (33%), they are overwhelmingly Democratic (65%) http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/jtf/JTF_LatinoVotersJTF.pdf and therefore will tend to support politicians who are anti-gun rights.

Sure. I think that has as much to do with the implicit framing of the opposition as a bunch of racist old white men.

Trailboss60
08-26-2011, 7:29 AM
Yup, unfortunately so, because the CA Reeps can't win an election.

I agree with you on that, but for different reasons.

Regardless of the demographics, the problem with the Ca. Republican party isn't that they aren't liberal enough to win elections, the demographics of Massachusetts are solidly liberal, and Chris Christie was able to prevail.
It all comes down to leadership, the fact of the matter is the Ca. Republican party is filled with country club republicrats that are more than happy to beg for the crumbs from their democrat masters table.

When a solid leader effectively communicates conservative principles, not much can stop him...California's "future" governor from 1964;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXBswFfh6AY

I realize that the demographics are different now, but I have no doubt that principled leadership can win....socialism and Marxism sucks, anyone that can effectively communicate the differences wins hands down...I don't doubt that there may be too many "takers" than there are producers in Ca. now though, but that shouldn't affect the message that a real leader should communicate, otherwise, He or she might as well run as a Democrat.

Milsurp Collector
08-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Regardless of the demographics, the problem with the Ca. Republican party isn't that they aren't liberal enough to win elections, the demographics of Massachusetts are solidly liberal, and Chris Christie was able to prevail.

Chris Christie is the governor of New Jersey, not Massachusetts. The governor of Massachusetts is Deval Patrick, a Democrat.

GrayWolf09
08-26-2011, 10:17 AM
I agree with you on that, but for different reasons.

It all comes down to leadership, the fact of the matter is the Ca. Republican party is filled with country club republicrats that are more than happy to beg for the crumbs from their democrat masters table.

When a solid leader effectively communicates conservative principles, not much can stop him...California's "future" governor from 1964;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXBswFfh6AY

I realize that the demographics are different now, but I have no doubt that principled leadership can win....socialism and Marxism sucks, anyone that can effectively communicate the differences wins hands down...I don't doubt that there may be too many "takers" than there are producers in Ca. now though, but that shouldn't affect the message that a real leader should communicate, otherwise, He or she might as well run as a Democrat.

Chris Christie -- wasn't he the guy who took the state helicopter to his son's little league game and had to ride the last 200 yards in a state limo. He only reimbursed the state when the outcry got so great that he had to. That's principled leadership? Plus he's in New Jersey not Massachusetts. New Jersey is where Snooki is a celebrity.

When you formulate the contrast as between Republican and Socialist/Marxist or between takers and producers then I think you may have a rather skewed view of reality.

PixelBender
08-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Μολὼν λαβέ

Until then we have but one option. Enjoy it while we got it.
LTC, BSRs, and the like. If we didnt have organizations like CGN, CGF, 2AF, NRA, CRPA, we would be a lot worse than we are now.

Driving is a sport, and cars kill many people every year. If they could, they would ban cars.
In 2001 984,000 people died from accident related deaths.

We can talk numbers all day but "the second amendment isn't about your deer rifle."

*hat tip [insert name]... its in his signature*

1JimMarch
08-26-2011, 11:53 AM
The reason ferrets are illegal in California is because the legislature wants to maintain their monopoly power on weaseliness.

http://animals.timduru.org/dirlist/ferret/Ferret-Face-Dressed.jpg

Trailboss60
08-26-2011, 8:58 PM
Chris Christie is the governor of New Jersey, not Massachusetts. The governor of Massachusetts is Deval Patrick, a Democrat.

NJ/ Massachussetts...so a typo:rolleyes:, politically they aren't far apart... it doesn't change the fact that it is possible for a conservative to prevail in a liberal state.

Chris Christie -- wasn't he the guy who took the state helicopter to his son's little league game and had to ride the last 200 yards in a state limo.
When you formulate the contrast as between Republican and Socialist/Marxist or between takers and producers then I think you may have a rather skewed view of reality.

Compared to former NJ governors Jim McGreevey and jon Corzine, both gungrabbers and scumbags, he is a saint.

You two guys ought to watch the 28 minute Reagan youtube video, you may learn a thing or two....although I doubt it.

Reagan exposed Obamanomics and political philosophy when Barak was still probably peeing in the bed.:D

chillincody
08-26-2011, 9:20 PM
If we think about D vs R we will blow it. The denial to carry is more geographical than party based.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7774/caccwmapbig.png

If we think about making new states and break the state roughly into thirds, we see that mostly the southern part CA would have strongly restricted carry rights. The central part would have a fight. The northern part easily would be a nice place to be a gun owner.

CDFingers

some bs san diego a no go in san diego

Milsurp Collector
08-26-2011, 10:10 PM
NJ/ Massachussetts...so a typo:rolleyes:,

(typo) typographical error

noun
an error in printed or typewritten matter resulting from striking the improper key of a keyboard, from mechanical failure, or the like.

A "typo" is when you mistakenly press the "a" key instead of pressing the "s" key, not mistaking one state for a completely different state. :rolleyes:

And it's spelled Massachusetts. The extra "s" you typed is a "typo", not mistaking Massachusetts for New Jersey. :rolleyes:

Compared to former NJ governors Jim McGreevey and jon Corzine, both gungrabbers and scumbags, he is a saint.

Chris Christie is not pro-gun rights.

As of 2009, Christie still supports the ban on semi-automatic rifles in New Jersey, and when he decided to run for governor, he chose to campaign to the left of Democrat John Corzine on gun-related issues. Consider this campaign literature:

THE FACTS ARE THE FACTS

Desperate Corzine already lying about Chris Christie’s Record

Corzine Lie: Christie stands with the NRA

FACT: Chris Christie supports the assault weapons ban and all current gun laws. He opposes attempts to permit conceal and carry laws in New Jersey – hardly the NRA position.

Unlike Jon Corzine, Chris Christie will strictly enforce the gun laws against violent criminals, ending parole against violent felons and making bail harder to get for violent felons. The U.S. Attorney’s Office, under Christie, did nearly 800 gun cases and broke up violent gangs in Camden, East Orange, Newark and Asbury Park, jailing hundreds of gang members. Here’s Corzine’s record: murders increased 9% last year, rapes jumped by 15% and burglaries increased by 7%. (Source: NJ Uniform Crime Report, 2008). While Jon Corzine wants to use gun laws to play the typical petty politics of the past, Chris Christie would toughen gun laws to fight criminals and make New Jersey safer – another job Jon Corzine has failed in as Governor.

As his campaign plainly stated, “Chris Christie supports the assault weapons ban and all current gun laws. He opposes attempts to permit conceal and carry laws in New Jersey – hardly the NRA position.”

Christie doesn’t just support New Jersey’s draconian gun control laws. He ran for office on a platform of making even more restrictive the absurd gun laws that made Brian Aitken a felon. Let us be blunt: Chris Christie supports a system of gun laws purposefully designed to entrap and disarm society.

Christie doesn’t trust his own citizens to exercise responsibly their constitutional rights to firearms. He may be a hero to some, but from the position of a gun owner, he’s no better than the freedom-hating Democrat he replaced.

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/half-cocked-chris-christie-wont-fight-for-gun-rights/2/

You two guys ought to watch the 28 minute Reagan youtube video, you may learn a thing or two....although I doubt it.

Reagan exposed Obamanomics and political philosophy when Barak was still probably peeing in the bed.:D

California has changed a lot in the past 40 years, in case you haven't noticed. Democrats have controlled the Legislature continuously since 1970. The last time California had a Republican US Senator was 20 years ago. The Democratic Presidential candidate has won California in 5 out of the last 5 Presidential elections. Democrats currently hold every major statewide office.

California has become a solidly Democratic state since Reagan gave that speech almost half a century ago. Politically, that California doesn't exist anymore.

If Ronald Reagan had been born 50 years later, he would have had no chance of being elected Governor of California in 2010.

Trailboss60
08-26-2011, 11:11 PM
(typo) typographical error..

You really need to Get your panties out of a twist over a typing error ...but I reckon when it helps to ...run with it.

Chris Christie is not pro-gun rights.

He isn't the cat's meow on gun rights, not my choice for a governor, but he isn't at the level Corzine Or McGreevey...the issue was on whether or not a conservative could win in a com-lib district...on most issues Christie is far more conservative...same with Guiliani...he doesn't kiss Bloomberg's donkey like the other two do...On most issues he is much farther to the right than Schwarzenegger is.

If Ronald Reagan had been born 50 years later, he would have had no chance of being elected Governor of California in 2010.

If that is indeed true, you shouldn't complain when people out of state say California is a lost cause...Bustedmonkey, schwarzennegger, nor Brown are capable of even being a shoe-shiner to Reagan.

donw
08-27-2011, 8:41 AM
Sen. Oropeza was a woman, and it is more likely the voters just voted for the candidate that had Democrat after their name, not knowing that she was dead.

BINGO!!!!

GrayWolf09
08-28-2011, 8:37 AM
You really need to Get your panties out of a twist over a typing error ...but I reckon when it helps to ...run with it.

If that is indeed true, you shouldn't complain when people out of state say California is a lost cause...Bustedmonkey, schwarzennegger, nor Brown are capable of even being a shoe-shiner to Reagan.

I was right. ;)

I knew you had cute little nicknames for all the Hispanics in politics. :)

Don't worry, I don't think you are racist. You just like making fun of Hispanics.;)

Trailboss60
08-28-2011, 9:46 AM
I was right. ;)

I knew you had cute little nicknames for all the Hispanics in politics. :)

Don't worry, I don't think you are racist. You just like making fun of Hispanics.;)

Busted monkey has nothing to do with race...unless that is what you read into it.

When Bush was in office, it was fashionable to call him Bush-chimp...no outrage from the left, when a California politician says the same about Obama, it becomes a race issue.:rolleyes:

Btw, my grandparents on my mothers side are Chavez-Trujillo, actually I rarely make fun of my Hispanic roots, more often than not I poke fun at my father's Irish roots though....I guess a potato diet grows thicker skin, generally they laugh about it...:D

I'm just glad I was never named Evaristo O'Grady..that would have sucked...

GrayWolf09
08-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Busted monkey has nothing to do with race...unless that is what you read into it.

When Bush was in office, it was fashionable to call him Bush-chimp...no outrage from the left, when a California politician says the same about Obama, it becomes a race issue.:rolleyes:

Btw, my grandparents on my mothers side are Chavez-Trujillo, actually I rarely make fun of my Hispanic roots, more often than not I poke fun at my father's Irish roots though....I guess a potato diet grows thicker skin, generally they laugh about it...:D

I'm just glad I was never named Evaristo O'Grady..that would have sucked...

Fair enough response. ;)

rspar
08-28-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't know about anybody else but Georgia is looking better and better.

thepunisher
08-28-2011, 1:05 PM
I don't know about anybody else but Georgia is looking better and better.

Hell if my house was worth anything I might be able to sell it and move, jk.

My family is here so I'm stuck in Cali.

advocatusdiaboli
08-29-2011, 11:19 AM

Very good point Bill. This is why allowing the Tea Party extremists like Bachmann or anachronism like Perry is a strategic mistake for the GOP. If they went with Huntsman or a moderate conservative, they'd have a far better chance.

Trailboss60
08-29-2011, 9:29 PM
Very good point Bill. This is why allowing the Tea Party extremists like Bachmann or anachronism like Perry is a strategic mistake for the GOP. If they went with Huntsman or a moderate conservative, they'd have a far better chance.

:rolleyes:

Huntsman has about as much chance at being president as Lori Saldana does..beside since Obama was Huntsman's boss..might as well vote for Obama.

If you want to define anachronism, look at Obama...he is the biggest disgrace to ever sit in the oval office,...blowing up the budget, backdoor amnesty to get illegal votes, rampant unemployment, endless parties and vacations while Rome is burning...the guy is a real turd, anyone on the political stage would be an improvement.

KylaGWolf
08-30-2011, 10:38 AM

Splitting pro-rights California from the nutcases in L.A.and SF, and creating separate states is a dream, that will always be just a dream...ain't gonna happen.

Dude no offense but it has nothing to do with gay political agenda. While I am a conservative when it comes to fiscal responsibility I don't think the government has the right to tell me who I can marry (btw I am straight but have relatives that are gay), or tell me what I can do to my body if I feel it is the right choice for me. I can careless what someones religious or lack there of may be. What I do care about is the fact that we have the right under the second amendment to keep and bear arms. We have the right to freedom of speech, protection from illegal search and seizure, the right to remain silent and legal representation, as well as many others.

Here is the deal as long as we keep infighting amongst ourselves we don't need the anti-2A people to be that vocal because we do enough damage to ourselves. Instead of fighting against those that may not be as far "right" or "left" as the case may be fight together for what will benefit ALL of us.

KylaGWolf
08-30-2011, 10:41 AM
The reason ferrets are illegal in California is because the legislature wants to maintain their monopoly power on weaseliness.

No the only reason that ferrets in CA are illegal is the Fish and Game honchos are morons.

bwiese
08-30-2011, 10:49 AM
:rolleyes:
Huntsman has about as much chance at being president as Lori Saldana does..beside since Obama was Huntsman's boss..might as well vote for Obama.

That commentary is kill-file worthy and falls in the 'illiterate birther' category.

Huntsman has actually been a good US Ambassador to China and has represented US interests quite well - and Obama hasn't interefered too much. (In fact the Obama admin has been pretty hardball about various Chinese currency/trade issues etc.)

Wherryj
08-30-2011, 11:28 AM
That really does make some sense.

The Republicans tend to think that they have to go "moderate" to get elected in this state so even those who are elected are sometimes close to useless as a counterweight to the loonies in the Democrat party.

So if a bunch of people of a libertarian bent were to join the Democrat party and arrange for people of a libertarian bent to run as Democrats - it might do something to shift the state politically.

I think that the only thing that will shift the state will register at least 9.0 on the Richter Scale.

Wherryj
08-30-2011, 11:30 AM

My vote for post of the day.

Trailboss60
08-30-2011, 11:38 PM
That commentary is kill-file worthy and falls in the 'illiterate birther' category.

Huntsman has actually been a good US Ambassador to China and has represented US interests quite well - and Obama hasn't interefered too much. (In fact the Obama admin has been pretty hardball about various Chinese currency/trade issues etc.)

Like when Obama bows to Hu Jintao..:D

Trailboss60
08-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Dude no offense but it has nothing to do with gay political agenda....

Since you are commenting on a post from days of yore, I will remind you that I was responding to:

The religious right in California are a definite lose. If they would just worry about what goes on in their own bedroom rather than others, they might have a chance....might.

Dude, no offense, but I was only responding to what was a thinly veiled comment about the gay agenda...I could care less what people do in the privacy of their bedroom..keep it to yourself, I could care less if you are hetero or homosexual...keep your lifestyle choice private, I will keep my comments private.