PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new off duty gun

NuGunner
08-23-2011, 6:24 PM
Currently carry a Glock 27. Looking for something with a slimmer frame in either a 9 mm or the caliber I'm currently carrying. Any suggestions?

BoJackUSMC
08-23-2011, 6:29 PM
M&P 9mm compact for me

Ron-Solo
08-23-2011, 6:34 PM
I like the M&P 9c, and the Ruger LC9. The LC9 is single stack and very slim.

Falconis
08-23-2011, 6:58 PM
If you don't mind going a little smaller, a lot of my buddies are carrying the air frame 357 revolvers. Those are pretty small and practically invisible if you can find an IWB holster

hitman13
08-23-2011, 7:08 PM
SR9c, m&p9c

sacshooter1
08-23-2011, 7:16 PM
I carry a Sig 239 in an IWB holster and it works great. I have the 40 cal version and load it with duty ammo.

boogak
08-23-2011, 7:18 PM
kahr arms

RollingCode3
08-23-2011, 7:25 PM
Check out Kahr CW9. Single stack. 7 rounds of 9mm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1555.jpg

dougtoni
08-23-2011, 7:31 PM
Go with a S&W 3913 LS or NL. Thin, light weight, accurate, holds 8+1 of 9mm. With a iwb holster, it just what you are looking for.

SoCalDep
08-23-2011, 7:42 PM
If you're looking for smaller than the Glock the M&P isn't going to cut it (I carry an M&P9C off duty so not knocking it...). I'd go with the LC9. Of course, I have to qualify my comment because I've never actually fired one. I've handled a couple and I'm impressed. I hope our dept. is looking at them. I'm pretty sure they aren't right now and I'm hoping I can have some influence in the near future. I've heard really good things and really bad things about Kahr pistols. I remember trying the trigger on one about 11 or 12 years ago and really liking it. If they work well (I suppose they do in general, thus being still in business this long...) they seem like a good option.

tom2
08-23-2011, 7:50 PM
If you like single action, Springfield EMP 9

otherwise.. Kahr's are nice OR the Ruger LC9

center_x
08-23-2011, 8:35 PM
I know its not a 9mm, but I like my LCP with buffalo core bullets.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=87

NuGunner
08-23-2011, 8:54 PM
RollinC3 how's the trigger on Kahr? Double action on every pull?

DerGlock
08-23-2011, 9:07 PM
Kel tec PF9

CaliforniaTactical
08-23-2011, 9:43 PM
I just got one Diamnondback 9mm in to sell...tough to get. I personally carry a DB380 on duty stuffed into my 511 shirt pocket in a wallet holster. I also have a stack of LE only off duty guns since that's what I specialize in. PM me if you have any questions.

RollingCode3
08-24-2011, 3:46 AM
RollinC3 how's the trigger on Kahr? Double action on every pull?

Yup. The trigger on the Kahr is long but very smooth and light.

I had the Ruger LC9, sold it after i shot one box through it. It has way too much craps on it.

Loader chamber indicator: I can live with that

Internal lock with key : I refuse to own a gun with an internal lock.

Manual safety: I dont need one on a CCW gun

Magazine disconnect safety: HELL NO.... especially for a CCW gun. I would not own a weapon with a magazine disconnect. To me, they are very dangerous! I don't want my weapon put out of commission completely if I drop the mag or it malfunctions. I want the ability to at least have a single shot.

And the trigger is horrible.

Murphy's Law. I don't want another thing that can fail when I need my gun the most.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1400.jpg

psango
08-24-2011, 4:34 AM
I carry the Kahr PM9. Fits neatly in my front pocket, inside a pocket holster. I carry an extra mag. and pepper spray in the other front pocket, along with my badge/ID holder. I had a Glock 27 and felt it was a little too big. My Dept. issues MP40c for plain cloths use.

BigDogatPlay
08-24-2011, 8:55 AM
I own a P239 in 9mm and it would be my first choice. I carried a P226 in uniform for several years and the P239 was/is a natural transition for me. Downside, it's not a pocket gun so if that's the true goal it won't work.

Having said that, from shooting a few examples of Kahr in both 9mm and .40 I'd very seriously consider one for back up / off duty. The PM9 is (IMO) about the best packaging of a compact as you'll find in a mainline caliber.

Ron-Solo
08-24-2011, 9:28 AM
Yup. The trigger on the Kahr is long but very smooth and light.

I had the Ruger LC9, sold it after i shot one box through it. It has way too much craps on it.

Loader chamber indicator: I can live with that

Internal lock with key : I refuse to own a gun with an internal lock.

Not really a big deal. You have to go to some effort to activate it, and it is too tight to go on by accident.

Manual safety: I dont need one on a CCW gun

The manual safety on the LC9 is very stiff and not easy to accidentally bump on. I just leave mine off all the time.

Magazine disconnect safety: HELL NO.... especially for a CCW gun. I would not own a weapon with a magazine disconnect. To me, they are very dangerous! I don't want my weapon put out of commission completely if I drop the mag or it malfunctions. I want the ability to at least have a single shot.

This issue is blown way out of proportion. When semi autos first hit the LE scene back in the 70's and 80's, almost all had a magazine disconnect, especially the S&W autoloaders. It wasn't a big issue until a lot of companies started making them without, and that was a big fous as a selling point. There was a lot of competition in the LE firearms market, so every angle counted. There weren't any significant incidents because of it. People just fell for the hype

And the trigger is horrible.

The trigger is stiff, but it is that way on purpose. The LC9 was designed as a concealed carry gun, not a target gun. It is a point blank range belly gun. In that situation, you will never notice the trigger pull. It is stiff enough where you're not going to discharge it putting it in a pocket. I have a HK P2000 that the trigger is so light that it is always a concern.

Murphy's Law. I don't want another thing that can fail when I need my gun the most.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1400.jpg

I never disagree with personal preference when choosing an off duty carry gun, but many choose to focus on the negative when those factors were included for a specific reason.

I have many handguns, both with and without a magazine safety. It's not really a big issue. I've been in gunfights, so I'm not just talking about book learning. Ask the 4 people I shot if a magazine disconnect was a factor. :cool:

Aloha!

415dog!
08-24-2011, 10:00 AM
kahr arms

+1...proforce has them for 650 IIRC

IrishJoe3
08-24-2011, 10:43 AM

You do realize that the duty gun that some department issue have a magazine disconect?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/340967133_f477bf1fbd_z.jpg

Here's a great photo of the magazine disconect being used; note the dirtbag going for the gun, and the magazine on the ground (ie even if he gets it it won't be able to be used against the officer due to the mag disconect).

///threadjack over///

RollingCode3
08-24-2011, 12:34 PM
You do realize that the duty gun that some department issue have a magazine disconect?

Here's a great photo of the magazine disconect being used; note the dirtbag going for the gun, and the magazine on the ground (ie even if he gets it it won't be able to be used against the officer due to the mag disconect).

///threadjack over///

You do realize that this thread is about off duty (concealed) carry gun right? :if used as a carry weapon for law enforecment or open carry duty, having a magazine disconnect can save your behind.

as far as ccw goes.........

1. you accidentally eject and lose the mag without noticing or magazine not fully seated ... If this happens, the pistol is completely inoperable and you effectively have a club now.

2.magazine gets ejected while firing or drawing, once again it becomes useless and you cannot fire even with the one round in the chamber.

3. your gun is useless during tac reload. My problem with them is what if in the middle of a mag swap i need to fire that round that is already in the chamber, it could be the difference between victory or defeat.

-------------------------------------

OP. There are many of single stack compact handguns out there without these safeties.

Kahr (CW9, CM9, PM9)
Kimber Solo
Sig P290
Taurus PT709
Keltec PF9
Springfield EMP 1911
Beretta nano
Walther PPS
etc.....

psango
08-24-2011, 1:43 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/340967133_f477bf1fbd_z.jpg

///threadjack over///

Sorry to go off topic but that picture really p@#$$%s me off. Attempting to take an officers gun to me is 664/187 and should be treated as such. I hate that! This contempt for authority that is rising in our society is going to be it's undoing, but that's a rant for another time!

Triad
08-24-2011, 3:52 PM
I would like to get my hands on a Kahr 9mm

center_x
08-24-2011, 5:40 PM
Irishjoe....old, but great pic! The news reporter happened to be at the right spot right time.

BigDogatPlay
08-24-2011, 5:50 PM
FWIW and not to throw gas on the fire but I know of one now retired officer who, early in his career, got into a scrape off duty and got his on and off duty carry, a Browning High Power, grabbed by the suspect in a wrestling match. Last thing he was able to do as the bad guy was getting control of the gun was to toggle the mag release. The bad guy was left holding a gun that wouldn't fire and the officer had a dandy palm weight (the mag) to help his fist do what it had to do.

That officer walked away a strong believer in the disconnect. Again, take if for what it's worth. One person's experience offered as food for thought and conversation.

Notorious
08-25-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm surprised I'm the only guy to mention the Taurus 709 Slim. I've been carrying that forever and have no complaints. I love the sweet single action safe trigger (just like a Glock), double strike capability, and how slim and light it is.

Since I got it, my LCP and Glock 26 both became safe queens. Never got comfortable with the LCP's trigger and cartridge. The Glock was my edc but it is just bulky and heavy.

I got the stainless version since it looks good. At $380 + tax\DROS, it wasn't bad compared to a Kahr which was not available at the time anyway.

I shoot our issue 127 grain +P+ chambering in it ands it works great.

RollingCode3
08-25-2011, 1:37 AM
Notorious- I did mention the Taurus 709. :). How is the trigger on that thing?

Notorious
08-25-2011, 6:29 AM
Sorry, c3, I must have missed your reference. I love the trigger on the taurus. It feels just like the glock with a longer pull to the let off but you can stack it and feel the reset just like the glock.

It's cheaper than the kahr and had better trigger than the lcp or lc9. I wouldn't carry the j frames due to the capacity. With the 709, I slip the reload mash in my pocket and I got 15 rounds of 9mm in a light and concealable package.

J_B
08-26-2011, 5:34 AM
Carried a G27 w/+2 finger extension mag as well as a G23 hi cap mag. Never was a fan of the bulkiness.

Bought the LCP awhile ago. Carried it for a few months until I sold my G27 to my beat partner.

Promptly bought the G36, from my boy @ Sac Black Rifle. Thanks Rob!!!

Love carrying the G36 off duty. Slim and really not too heavy. It rides in a Theis Holster.

The LCP and CrossBreed holster has since been relegated to house hideout and will most likely be sold here in a bit to fund another Glock slimline purchase.

My now ex-fiancee' carries the PM9 off duty. She's picky about what she carries and she really loves that gun. She laughed when I brought home the LCP. Even she wouldn't consider it.

**AND I remember that pic of the CHP and Placer County deputy fighting with that guy on I-80...think it was in Auburn?? I remember seeing a better pic of the officer pressing the mag release. Great job by all involved.

Notorious
08-26-2011, 7:22 AM
I heard of people making hybrid flocks with the slim g36 top and the g30 frame for capacity.

sniper4usmc
08-26-2011, 7:26 AM
Kimber Solo?

EOD3
08-26-2011, 11:14 PM
RC3: Can you ID the holster on the right for me?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1555.jpg

code33
08-26-2011, 11:36 PM

Appears to be a Comp-tac CTAC:
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=61

EOD3
08-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Appears to be a Comp-tac CTAC:
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=61

Much grass :D

Notorious
08-27-2011, 1:50 AM
C-tac. My friend has the m-tac. I have no fancy holsters... Being required to have retention on mine... So it's thumb breaks or the serpa. Hard to find a good iwb with retention, except for the custom kolbeson I ordered. Awesome holster.

RollingCode3
08-27-2011, 5:31 AM

It is C-Tac from comp-tac (the slide version). It fits Glock 17/22, 19/23, 26/27

NuGunner
08-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Yes this is about concealed carry, and secondary is about back up weapons. I have an S&W 442 airweight that I cant seem to carry anywhere that's easily accessible. Plus I just want something slimmer then the G27

EOD3
08-28-2011, 1:32 PM
Thanks RC3

I went gun-shopping yesterday for a "slender" carry gun. The Khar was my first choice followed by the Ruger, both in 9MM.

Notorious
08-28-2011, 1:48 PM
Check out the taurus. You'll be surprised.

3S16
08-28-2011, 8:38 PM
Sniper4USMC (I'm USMC 1968-1972) I think that because you live in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia you can't be trusted with owning a Kimber Solo. I believe it's off list.

Sempr Fi

Notorious
08-28-2011, 8:43 PM
There's no way regular civilians can be trusted with guns that the intrepid DOJ has not tested to make sure they are okay to use. Otherwise, people would be killing themselves everywhere with these unsafe guns. It's all for the good of the people!

c3 rolling
08-28-2011, 8:58 PM
Im a skinny guy and carry a Glock 26 with the +2 extension on a 10 round mag IWB. Very comfy and easy to conceal.

EOD3
08-28-2011, 9:11 PM
Check out the taurus. You'll be surprised.

The Taurus is bigger and heavier then the Kahr or the Ruger. The Kahr is a "little" smaller and lighter than the Ruger but it's also a 6+1 where the Ruger is a 7+1. I've been "told" the Ruger has second-strike capability but I wasn't able to verify it, the Kahr doesn't. Not a huge deal as I've always trained to slap the magazine and chamber a new round. The Ruger has less sharp edges but not enough to be a clear winner. Decisions, decisions...

Sooner or later, I'll get a chance to shoot both of them. :D

Notorious
08-28-2011, 9:11 PM
Define skinny. I'm 5-09 and 155# and the Glock 26 is at the upper limits of being concealable for me. I have to iwb with a good holster or else it's not going to work for me.

Notorious
08-28-2011, 9:13 PM
The Taurus is bigger and heavier then the Kahr or the Ruger. The Kahr is a "little" smaller and lighter than the Ruger but it's also a 6+1 where the Ruger is a 7+1. I've been "told" the Ruger has second-strike capability but I wasn't able to verify it, the Kahr doesn't. Not a huge deal as I've always trained to slap the magazine and chamber a new round. The Ruger has less sharp edges but not enough to be a clear winner. Decisions, decisions...

Sooner or later, I'll get a chance to shoot both of them. :D

You sure about the weight and size? In any event, the Taurus had the safe action trigger while the other two has the long DA trigger, that was a selling point for me. YMMV.

RollingCode3
08-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Had a chance to shoot my buddy Walther PPS today. The trigger is very similar to the glock trigger. IMHO, Walther PPS is the slim version of the glock 26 except for the price $650+

I will stick with the kahr and the glock

Glock 26: 10+1 $399
Karh cw9: 7+1 $349
kahr cm9: 6+1 $450
Ruger lc9: 7+1 $359
Walther pps: 6+1 $650

Notorious
08-28-2011, 10:43 PM
I can't stand the mag release on the PPS. Makes no sense to me.

Bobby Ricigliano
08-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Yes I am a LEO..

The M&P 9mm compact is your best compromise between concealability, usability, and firepower. A 5-shot airweight snub is easier to conceal but practically useless at a distance or against multiple opponents. I carry the M&PC in a weak side pocket holster (Desantis) both on and off duty. 13 rounds and easy to shoot with your non gun hand. Night sights and a bargain at around $450 - $480.

Notorious
08-28-2011, 11:17 PM
The M&P9C is more compact than the 10 shot G26?

ironcross
08-29-2011, 4:52 AM
Well, for close and personal I've seen good things with the Ruger .380 LCP w/laser.

RollingCode3
08-29-2011, 6:00 AM
The M&P9C is more compact than the 10 shot G26?

Negative. The m&p9c is thicker than the g26 especially the fat slide.

Notorious
08-29-2011, 6:22 AM
That's what I thought... I know for sure I can't carry the g26 in my pocket.

Bobby Ricigliano
08-29-2011, 9:18 AM
I did not consider the Glock 26 because it is not an authorized B/U pistol for my particular department. Perhaps it is an equally good or better choice. I guess it depends on what is on your dept. 'roster'.

Notorious
08-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Roster is pretty much open for us as long as it fits within certain parameters and the armorer signs off on it.