PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal?

KenpoProfessor
01-21-2007, 1:41 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=64467714

Would this item be considered contructive possession because of the auto sear?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

TKo_Productions
01-21-2007, 2:16 AM
As far as federal law is concerned, possession of the auto-sear for an AK47 is perfectly legal (this differs with regard to the AR15 platform however, so take warning). In order to manufacture an automatic AK47, the design requires that a third hole be drilled for the auto-sear. In addition the lower rail on the left side of the receiver needs to be slotted in order to accommodate a rate reducer. Many semi-automatic AR15 receivers have the sear shelf already milled down, so that in order to convert them all you have to do is drill a hole and an auto-sear can simply be dropped into place. That’s why possession of an AR15 and auto-sear is illegal, regardless of whether or not the sear hole is drilled. The deviation in the amount of time needed to convert and AK47 and an AR15 to an automatic weapon is how the ATF has ruled.

With regard to state law, I'm not certain if California recognizes constructive possession if you retain both an un-drilled and un-milled AK47 receiver along with the full auto parts. Someone with more knowledge will have to answer that.

I know that Washington has a statute that bans possession of both. Needless to say, vendors are extremely careful when sending parts kits to residents of Washington.

With that said, it should be pointed out that whenever you see a seller emphasizing that they're including all full auto parts, they generally charge a premium even though the majority of the time you receive these parts regardless of who you purchase your kit from (that explains the $250 price tag on the kit in that auction, while other vendors are selling Romanian kits for ~$100). In reality it doesn't matter. You won’t need the auto-sear or rate reducer, and you'll probably scrap the foreign made fire control group for an identical US made counterpart in order to comply with section 922r.

In the end, why pay a premium for parts you’ll just end up throwing out? Don’t risk your freedom or jeopardize your future ability to own firearms simply for taking possession of a few pieces of unnecessary scrap.

When you purchase a kit, ask the seller/vendor to take out the fire control group and any auto parts before shipping the kit. Sleep better at night knowing that you’ve got nothing to be concerned over.

blacklisted
01-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Maybe, if you don't own a compatible receiver.

I think it's very suspicious when anyone advertises their product as "FULL AUTO PARTS, FULL AUTO AK KIT INCLUDES AUTO SEAR"...:mad:

xrMike
01-21-2007, 5:46 PM
With that said, it should be pointed out that whenever you see a seller emphasizing that they're including all full auto parts, they generally charge a premium even though the majority of the time you receive these parts regardless of who you purchase your kit from (that explains the $250 price tag on the kit in that auction, while other vendors are selling Romanian kits for ~$100).Exactly -- you usually get those parts with any AK parts kit you purchase, right? Most people take them upon receipt and promptly chuck them in the garbage, in order to replace the FCG and increase their U.S. parts count by 3. All this guy is doing is buying a $110 parts kit, hyping the auto FCG (whoop-dee-doo), and turning around and marking it up nearly $150.

What a schister!

KenpoProfessor
01-21-2007, 5:56 PM
Cool, thanks for the info and heads up. I'll get the cheaper Romy kit for $139 then.

You guys are great, that's why I come on here. Wouldn't have a Saiga if I didn't LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Hunter
01-21-2007, 5:58 PM
Maybe, if you don't own a compatible receiver.

I think it's very suspicious when anyone advertises their product as "FULL AUTO PARTS, FULL AUTO AK KIT INCLUDES AUTO SEAR"...:mad:

Well, there are dealers that hold the proper licenses to assemble these into FULL AUTO weapons. So I don't see what is wrong with advertising it that way. It actually may get him a buyer faster.

blacklisted
01-21-2007, 6:09 PM
Well, there are dealers that hold the proper licenses to assemble these into FULL AUTO weapons. So I don't see what is wrong with advertising it that way. It actually may get him a buyer faster.

I know what you mean, but they usually mention this in the ad.