PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake Today... Gun Restrictions ???

Southwest Chuck
08-23-2011, 11:54 AM
It's all over the news. Does anyone know if any "State of Emergency" exists in the area or surrounding States, and if so, any gun/carry restrictions like the one in N.C. Gura is fighting?
Earthquake rocks East Coast (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-08-23/Earthquake-rocks-East-Coast/50107542/1)

A powerful earthquake rocked the Mid-Atlantic region Tuesday afternoon, hitting areas from North Carolina to as far north as Ottawa, Canada..........

The earthquake, which hit at about 1:51 p.m. ET, measured a preliminary 5.9 and lasted up to 45 seconds, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. It shook office buildings and homes and rattled residents. The USGS warned of aftershocks.

Its epicenter was reported about 4 miles southwest of Mineral, Va., near Richmond, Va., and about 80 miles south of Washington, D.C.

PCPerks
08-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Nope, no emergencies. I've got family right outside the epicenter and there is nothing major really going on besides messed up phone service.

Baconator
08-23-2011, 12:43 PM
They already came to my door and demanded my guns. I just put on my hat and they left :TFH:

GOEX FFF
08-23-2011, 12:59 PM
"measured a preliminary 5.9 and lasted up to 45 seconds"

5.9 and a state of emergency?

A 5.9 is on the larger side, sure, but that's a fairly typical size quake for SoCal.
The 1994 Northridge quake was 6.9 and no one went around to restrict firearms, even in our nanny state.

PCPerks
08-23-2011, 1:30 PM
I'd be more concerned with the inbound hurricane then the earthquake. I know my family is Much more concerned about that.

P.Charm
08-23-2011, 1:38 PM

A 5.9 is on the larger side, sure, but that's a fairly typical size quake for SoCal.
The 1994 Northridge quake was 6.9 and no one went around to restrict firearms, even in our nanny state.

buildings aren't built to withstand earthquakes. My house in VA was barely strong enough to withstand the hurricanes.

Mesa Tactical
08-23-2011, 1:51 PM
Just found this shocking image of Virginia earthquake devastation:

http://p.twimg.com/AXjdtifCQAA1OdS.jpg

Army
08-23-2011, 1:56 PM
HAhahahaaa Mesa!! Best one ever!

California has a "Katrina Law", so little worry here (notice I did not say, no worry...)

shy 7th
08-23-2011, 2:01 PM

This was my first thought but the more I dwell on it, we have really become desensitized to earthquakes here in CA.

When I was in college not to long ago, and living in the on-campus dorms I remember a particularly small earthquake. Must've been a 3-3.5. Being a native californian, I just ignored it and continued playing Halo (or whatever videogame I was playing). About 20 seconds afterwards I hear someone crying. I look out my window and standin in the common area are these two girls hugging eachother just bawling their eyes out. Turn out, they were from out of state and that was their first earthquake. I laughed.

So I'm not really saying that earthquakes are that bad, just saying that some people think they are.

Rain on the other hand... have you seen the kind of news covereage we have here in so-cal when even the slightest bit of rain falls? Sheesh, you'd think it was the end of the world.

Leonidas_AS
08-23-2011, 2:14 PM
This was my first thought but the more I dwell on it, we have really become desensitized to earthquakes here in CA.

When I was in college not to long ago, and living in the on-campus dorms I remember a particularly small earthquake. Must've been a 3-3.5. Being a native californian, I just ignored it and continued playing Halo (or whatever videogame I was playing). About 20 seconds afterwards I hear someone crying. I look out my window and standin in the common area are these two girls hugging eachother just bawling their eyes out. Turn out, they were from out of state and that was their first earthquake. I laughed.

So I'm not really saying that earthquakes are that bad, just saying that some people think they are.

Rain on the other hand... have you seen the kind of news covereage we have here in so-cal when even the slightest bit of rain falls? Sheesh, you'd think it was the end of the world.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9664/65022293.jpg

Wernher von Browning
08-23-2011, 2:39 PM
About 20 seconds afterwards I hear someone crying. I look out my window and standin in the common area are these two girls hugging eachother just bawling their eyes out. Turn out, they were from out of state and that was their first earthquake. I laughed.

Geez. You made it to college with an attitude like that?
Why, any fast-thinking red-blooded 'Murkin male would have gone out there and comforted the poor things. :)

Or... you're way ahead of me and those two were really ugly.

Rain on the other hand... have you seen the kind of news coverage we have here in so-cal when even the slightest bit of rain falls? Sheesh, you'd think it was the end of the world.

The famed Southern California Liquid Lobotomy.

duggan
08-23-2011, 3:42 PM
When I was on a deployment to the Sinai there was a pretty bad earthquake. I was the only "California City Boy" in my squad/checkpoint. I had just got off my shift and had been asleep for maybe an hour when this guy comes running into our bunk house shaking me and yelling about an earthquake. I looked up at him and told him to come back and get me if S**t starts falling down or holes open up in the ground. They made me get up anyway and go outside and the poor kid up in the guard tower was sh***ng bricks cause that tower was still rocking lol. We had to have someone go up and pry his hands loose from the railing, one of those priceless moments that ya have to be there for I guess. I can't remember what the death/injury toll ended up being, but I do remember our medics getting choppered out to provide aid to some folks that were on tour busses, IIRC the busses were smashed by falling rocks.

paul0660
08-23-2011, 3:52 PM
This thread grew a lot of legs, considering a complete lack of foundation.

I have to figure out a new name for troll, because chuck is that.

BigDogatPlay
08-23-2011, 5:07 PM
Earthquake where they don't happen a lot = :willy_nilly:

At least it sure seems that way.

Ackrite
08-23-2011, 5:19 PM
Anybody else ever travel out of state and hear all the scaredy-cats talk about how bad California is (other than politics here) with all our earthquakes and how afraid they would be to ever come here because of that? Suckas!!! At least we don't have hurricanes...

Kharn
08-23-2011, 5:40 PM
No state of emergency here, but even without I can't leave my property with a handgun (at least until someone explains things more plainly to MD in a few months), but I digress.

The reason for all of the drama is that DC, Baltimore, Richmond, etc, are cities with many buildings over 100 years old and we have had only one other >5.0 earthquake (and that was in the 1890s) on record so there are very few buildings that were designed with earthquake resistance in mind. The nuclear reactor at the epicenter of this quake was only designed to withstand a 6.1, I bet the ones in CA are designed for much worse.

The Cat 3 hurricane hitting us this weekend is a bigger concern.

newbee1111
08-23-2011, 5:41 PM
The best possible thing to do if you are around a bunch on earthquake virgins during a moderate shaker is to say in a real calm, deadpan voice "Its the big one, we are all going to die."

Dutch3
08-23-2011, 6:52 PM
February 9, 1971 at 6AM, I was 8 years old and the 6.6 Sylmar quake happened (They called it a 7.1 until many years later). I was living just "over the hill" in Simi and had no prior earthquake experience. After several seconds, I assumed;
1) it must be an earthquake
2) when there is an earthquake, lots of people die.

So, I figured I was about to die. There was not really any "terror", although there was some fear. I was more interested in watching the various shapes my bedroom walls were attaining without coming apart. It went on for over a minute (which can be a hell of a long time), and then it stopped. Surprised that I was still alive, I went downstairs and helped the rest of my family pick up the broken dishes that seemed to be impossibly scattered around the house.

I can understand the reactions of those who have never experienced an earthquake and do not fault them for it. Although I must admit that subsequent quakes I experienced while living in So Cal caused me to start laughing uncontrollably. I am not quite sure why, but it sure helped to ease the ride.

RRichie09
08-23-2011, 6:56 PM
The best possible thing to do if you are around a bunch on earthquake virgins during a moderate shaker is to say in a real calm, deadpan voice "Its the big one, we are all going to die."

Yes! Im gonna use this.

Burbur
08-23-2011, 7:46 PM
No state of emergency here, but even without I can't leave my property with a handgun (at least until someone explains things more plainly to MD in a few months), but I digress.

The reason for all of the drama is that DC, Baltimore, Richmond, etc, are cities with many buildings over 100 years old and we have had only one other >5.0 earthquake (and that was in the 1890s) on record so there are very few buildings that were designed with earthquake resistance in mind. The nuclear reactor at the epicenter of this quake was only designed to withstand a 6.1, I bet the ones in CA are designed for much worse.

The Cat 3 hurricane hitting us this weekend is a bigger concern.

^This^

Every time I am back in Richmond and Roanoke I look at all the red brick homes and wonder - 'do they build these to withstand earthquakes?' Apparently 5.9 wasn't big enough to test that question.

Paladin
08-23-2011, 10:50 PM
The below from the NRA-ILA's website.

http://www.nraila.org/maps/ep.jpg

Window_Seat
08-23-2011, 11:09 PM
We may have "emergency powers protection", but how does it compare to other states with stronger protections?

And for those who might say "they can come for my guns, and they will be met with this/that", I'd like to know how many of those whose guns were confiscated post Katrina said the same thing prior to that disaster?

Erik.

vantec08
08-24-2011, 1:14 AM
I dont know about the comparable wording or such, but I guarantee you the "anti" climate in CA will prevail and will, defacto, authorize LEOs do to mostly as they wish. As demonstrated in this very forum, "shall not be infringed" doesnt mean squat to some of them. They cant help themselves.

Scratch705
08-24-2011, 1:49 AM
I dont know about the comparable wording or such, but I guarantee you the "anti" climate in CA will prevail and will, defacto, authorize LEOs do to mostly as they wish. As demonstrated in this very forum, "shall not be infringed" doesnt mean squat to some of them. They cant help themselves.

doubt they will get far as most of the ghettos would be rioting/looting and along with other poor areas.

i mean there are rioting/looting when lakers when the championships, wtf do you think those same people will do during a natural disaster, provide aid to the needy?

police will have hands full containing these riots/looters that it would be a small chance they would spare manpower to go door-to-door to search out gun owners.

yellowfin
08-24-2011, 4:14 AM
police will have hands full containing these riots/looters that it would be a small chance they would spare manpower to go door-to-door to search out gun owners.Actually I'd say it's likely they'd do the latter because that's easier and safer for them than actually doing their real job. Ever notice how you're more likely to get a speeding ticket in ritzy neighborhoods?

ccmc
08-24-2011, 5:18 AM
California has a "Katrina Law", so little worry here (notice I did not say, no worry...)

So does Louisiana :confused:

rod
08-24-2011, 5:23 AM
Culpepper County declared a state of emergency for a little while, due to the buildings being a couple of hundred years old and falling bricks. Guns weren't even considered one way or another. Around here, wearing a gun is about the same as wearing pants. You just look out of place without either one. No one in their right mind would consider taking guns away from citizens here.

ccmc
08-24-2011, 5:24 AM
Anybody else ever travel out of state and hear all the scaredy-cats talk about how bad California is (other than politics here) with all our earthquakes and how afraid they would be to ever come here because of that? Suckas!!! At least we don't have hurricanes...

There are quite a few Californians I've met that have moved here to Florida. Never heard one of them say the reason for moving was earthquakes. I have noticed something curious about some Californians that move here though. They continue to keep their California license plate on the front of the car (Florida only requires rear plates). Never seen an ex-resident of any other state do that. Some people that have lived in Europe do the same thing ie keep a European plate on the front of their car. Weird the stuff that makes some people feel special.

ccmc
08-24-2011, 5:25 AM
Culpepper County declared a state of emergency for a little while, due to the buildings being a couple of hundred years old and falling bricks. Guns weren't even considered one way or another. Around here, wearing a gun is about the same as wearing pants. You just look out of place without either one. No one in their right mind would consider taking guns away from citizens here.

American by birth, Southern by grace of God.

Paladin
08-24-2011, 5:42 AM
We may have "emergency powers protection", but how does it compare to other states with stronger protections?

And for those who might say "they can come for my guns, and they will be met with this/that", I'd like to know how many of those whose guns were confiscated post Katrina said the same thing prior to that disaster?

Erik.You assume that other states have "stronger protections." IIRC, Bweise said ours is pretty good. But it hasn't been tested yet since it was passed just a few years ago by Dems in Sacto and signed by Arnie.

Again, IIRC (don't have a copy of the law handy), LEOs are required to have a reason to take your guns and if they don't, you can later sue them. If you'd rather get into a gunfight w/LEOs over the issue, that's your call. I'd rather live to sue another day.

Natch, all this may be improving now that we've got Heller and McDonald, and hope to get even more RKBA over the next year from SCOTUS.

Paladin
08-24-2011, 5:44 AM
So does Louisiana :confused:Most (all?) of these state level protections, along w/the federal protection, were pushed and passed after Katrina by the NRA.

Mesa Tactical
08-24-2011, 6:50 AM
February 9, 1971 at 6AM, I was 8 years old and the 6.6 Sylmar quake happened (They called it a 7.1 until many years later). I was living just "over the hill" in Simi and had no prior earthquake experience.

I jumped out of bed and grabbed my pet rat, Spotty.

Priorities, etc.

Or tornadoes or ice storms or annual floods . . .

swilson
08-24-2011, 7:41 AM
Didn't Louisiana have legislation in place to protect from firearm confiscation before Hurricaine Katrina? Also let's not forget National Guardsmen at the Superdome checking to make sure nobody brought guns, and how FEMA banned firearms from their trailer parks: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=1771 . Remember New Orleans is what Wayne LaPierre said, because he knows that politicians and government officials don't respect our gun rights when everything is normal, so why would they respect them more during a disaster when everybody, law-abiding and criminal alike, take up arms? The answer is that they won't. They've proven before that illegal gun confiscation is a very real scenario, and you can bet that it'll happen again, laws or no laws.

Just imagine what a national emergency would produce, especially if it were followed by an Executive Order straight from the top. It would take forever to file lawsuits to get guns back, if ever, look at how long it's taking to just get answers from the "Fast and Furious" scandal, let alone punish anybody.

Wherryj
08-24-2011, 8:05 AM
Nope, no emergencies. I've got family right outside the epicenter and there is nothing major really going on besides messed up phone service.

That's great to hear. A 5.9 doesn't even catch most Kalifornian's attention, but when it hits a region like VA it can cause far more destruction.

I lived in Northern VA during medical school and I can tell you that there is a lot of un-reinforced masonry construction in that region. What might be a minor annoyance here could lead to serious issues there.

The phone service being messed up isn't really too difficult to believe. I was in No. VA during the Loma Prieta earthquake and wasn't able to contact anyone in the PRK for several days due to phone line overload.

BigDogatPlay
08-24-2011, 8:24 AM
Didn't Louisiana have legislation in place to protect from firearm confiscation before Hurricaine Katrina?

Don't think so. Mayor Nagin relied on vague emergency powers to issue his no guns order. State law did not pre-empt as it, and a related federal court ruling post Katrina, would now.

All the states on the map above, plus federal law signed by President Bush, pre-empt government seizure of firearms during a declared emergency. While there is, always, the potential for abuse by some politician or bureaucrat who didn't get or doesn't understand the memo, in the grander scheme of things in a true state of disaster the last thing that law enforcement should be worrying about is people who are adequately sheltered that are lawfully keeping a firearm.

There are much bigger fish to fry in that situation.

proclone1
08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
I heard on NPR that the National Cathedral had 3 out of 4 parapets (tower structures, not "pair of pets" like alter boys) pretty much destroyed, and this after the building had only recently been officially Finished after being under construction for 80 years...

Ubermcoupe
08-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Just found this shocking image of Virginia earthquake devastation:

http://p.twimg.com/AXjdtifCQAA1OdS.jpg

This one too:
http://i.imgur.com/jMySO.jpg

diginit
08-24-2011, 5:48 PM
If anyone tries to take your guns, Give it to them. Point Blank!

Citizen 14
08-24-2011, 6:01 PM
The earthquake can have my guns, when it shakes them out of my COLD DEAD HANDS!! :p

haole_50
08-25-2011, 6:24 AM
And, what is with all the "unnecessary" screaming and crying, gheez! It's not like the whole east coast got swallowed up in the "great quake". I just never could understand the panic mentality of people. As a paramedic we "took control of the scene, and got looky-loos out immediately, then the wanna helpers were next", and lastly so called drs that had no emergency medical skills (I've dealt with dozens of them). Move on, it's just a little shaker - Chile jumped right in and had a 6.9 quake too.

NovaTodd
08-26-2011, 6:35 PM
I didn't even feel the quake on Tuesday. It was the talk of the school when we went to get my son enrolled/open house.
I am much more worried about the incoming hurricane. As of yet, we still have power, gas, and water - and only a little bit of rain this afternoon. At work, we stopped all production and had all hands on deck to get things moved inside before the storm hit. Since all the powerlines are overhead, I'm more worried about losing power since all the wells need power to pump. I filled up the storage tank in the motorhome with 100 gals so we have water for a couple of days if needed. I have plenty of gas if I need to run the generator so we fell confident riding out the storm. It might get to rocking and rolling in the wind but I doubt much else will happen.
East of us is under evacuation order so we'll see what happens.

Welcome to North Carolina - earthquake and then a hurricane...At least I got to drill out the blocks in my standard capacity magazines. I'll remove bullet buttons tomorrow since I'll be inside most of the day.

LMT4ME
08-26-2011, 8:32 PM
HAhahahaaa Mesa!! Best one ever!

After Louisiana and the Feds passed the "Katrina Law" the then police chief of New Orleans was asked what he would do after a similar situation. He said he would confiscate weapons. Read the last paragraph of the Great NO Gun Grab book. Laws mean nothing. Before katrina there were laws preventing unlawful search and seizure - did not stop NO, CHP, other out of sate cops, National Gaurd, Army.

winnre
08-27-2011, 7:21 AM
North Carolina Governor Declares Every Concealed Carry Permit in eastern NC Invalid Due to Hurricane Irene

http://confederateyankee.mu.nu/archives/320567.php

Paladin
08-27-2011, 9:12 AM
North Carolina Governor Declares Every Concealed Carry Permit in eastern NC Invalid Due to Hurricane Irene

http://confederateyankee.mu.nu/archives/320567.php

There's already another thread dedicated to that topic....
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=470908

Mikeb
08-27-2011, 11:17 AM
This was discussed earlier this week. Seems like it was only the Founding Fathers rolling over in their graves... nothing to worry about... or...
Mike