PDA

View Full Version : Financial or Political Strategy?

MSO4MATT
08-22-2011, 9:30 PM
There seems to be an uptick in anti-gun legislation. Since McDonald there should have been a re-thinking of anti-gun legislation by all elected officials, especially at the federal level. Instead, we are getting laws implemented by executive order, regulatory authority, and interpretive enforcement. All of this activity is clearly unconstitutional and in some cases illegal.

Why is this? Are the anti-gunners trying to bleed the finances of gun supporting organizations through unnecessary court battles just prior to the 2012 elections?...

Or, are they trying to score political points with their base prior to elections season?...

Or, do they see the writing on the wall and are trying to pump as much anti-gun stuff through the legislature and regulatory agencies before power slips away next fall?

The first question concerns me and I hope that our pro 2A organizations can forecast that sort of tactic.

hoffmang
08-22-2011, 9:37 PM
Actually, there really has been less anti-gun legislation. Well, there has been a lot of anti-gun legislation introduced, but it goes absolutely no where - which is new. What anti-gun moves that have been occurring are staying clear of US Congress - hence the various ATF drama lammas. All of this is because pro-gun voters keep messing up elections for anti-gunners and Heller and McDonald have put the writing on the wall..

-Gene

gratefuldog
08-22-2011, 9:39 PM
There seems to be an uptick in anti-gun legislation.

Where? In California, sure. But Nationwide, the tide seems to be going the other way.

that Hoffmang guy is FAST!

wjc
08-23-2011, 12:18 AM
In the PRK, I heard the legislature has proposed something like 2000 bills this year. I'm of the opinion that many of them, not all, are proposed just to get their name on something....or maybe just misguided.

The deLeon fitted sheet fiasco comes to mind.

MSO4MATT
08-23-2011, 8:36 PM
Yes Uptick; tragedy legislation, interpretive enforcement and executive orders...all will need to be challenged in court.

We are winning battles, but the war is not over... legal wars and political races are expensive! I just believe we need to be aware and smart in choosing the time and place we engage financially.

wjc
08-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, I believe there is the "moral imperative". Actions that must be taken
because they are ideologically/morally important.

But, I sense we are discussing "strategic" vs. "tactical".