View Full Version : Detachable tubular mags ok?

01-20-2007, 9:50 AM
Sometime ago I realized that the exemption to tubular fed .22 magazines having to be fixed. My idea was to put 6 to 8 feeding tubes in a revolver cylinder pattern and mount it under the rifle. There would be a plate over the feeding end to retain the rounds in the tubes. That hole would be positioned between tubes when they were off of the rifle and it would be lined up with the action when the mag-tube cluster was installed. The tube cluster would rotate like a revolver cylinder either manually when each one clicked empty or it could be spring loaded where something on the follower trips a mechanism to rotate it on the last round in each tube. I am still trying to figure out how to make that function work reliably. My second problem which is the biggest problem of all, is that the followers generally go beyond the end of the tube into the action which would prevent it from rotating. My only thought to fix this problem is to have all of the followers stop at the end of the tube except for the last one because the rounds from the next tube would continue to push fare enough and the last follower stopping the rotation would not make a difference. The problem with this solution is that it would always have to be put in with a certain tube up first and more importantly it would probably classify it as one mag rather than a cluster of mags which would kill my next idea.

After I was toying with the first idea I saw a friend’s 10 round 10/22 mags clipped together in a star pattern and it registered to me that there is nothing that says multiple 10 round mags can not be attached to each other. There is also nothing that says that each mag has to be separately or manually inserted. Lets say that this cluster of mags was held together with something similar to the moon clips for a .45ACP revolver but stronger. That way each tube could be separated. Even if they had to be rotated (“inserted“) manually, this would be a simple twist of the wrist. This idea could be used to make carbines in say 9mm or other center fire pistol calibers using 10 round tubes.

The result of either of these ideas would be basically a Calico type firearm using a different technology. I have a few other ideas for how to deal with the technical problems but will refrain from making this post any longer than it already is. So do you guys think I am crazy? That this is not worth it? What are your thoughts?

01-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Interesting idea, but it'd probably be cheaper and easier to use a Ruger 10/22 w/ pre-owned before Y2K mags, or a tube-fed .22LR and this thing: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS120-44767-1172.html

Still, I'd like to see a concept drawing, mock-up or prototype of your idea.:)

01-20-2007, 10:30 AM
I totally agree that a 10/22 with pre2000 owned hicaps would be cheaper and much easier. I have that, and you may too. But this would be an option for people that do not have pre2000 owned box mags. The speed loader that you pointed out is really what gave me the original idea. That combined with when I had the opportunity to use someone’s 100 round Calico. I started trying to figure out how to make something comparable California legal. Being able to fire 100 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger has a certain cool factor that 25 round 10/22 mags lacks.

I am not good at all with drawing things. I get concepts in my head and just try to make them. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I am working on getting enough parts to try this with an old Stevens 87A. If someone else wants to give the idea a shot, feel free to. Just don’t take it and make a mint on it, assuming it would even be marketable. I want to keep that option open for myself if I ever get my act together.