PDA

View Full Version : Spec Ops Stock and Scope?

Stevec
01-20-2007, 5:16 AM
First of all, hello to the group!

I searched but couldn't locate an answer to my question, my apologies if it has been asked before and I missed it.

I ordered a Knoxx SpecOps stock, PowerPak, foreend, and grip sleeve for my 12 Ga. Mossberg 500. I don't know if I'll like it or not but I'm being the "guinea pig" tester for a different group. ;) I was thinking about it this morning and it dawned on me that it may present a bad situation when the gun moves backward when shot due to my 2x7 Leupold scope mounted on the cantilever.

Anyone have any experience with this stock and use with a scope?

Thanks.

Teletiger7
01-21-2007, 3:28 PM
The SpecOps stock is really good at handling recoil. I just installed one on my 870 pump and I couldn't believe how easy it makes recoil. youll be able to shoot 12 gauge all day. It's a little pricey(120 for mine) but it's worth it. your shoulder will thank you. The reciever will move back a couple inches when you shoot so i dont know how that will affect your scope. i think it would be ideal with a red dot like a Eotech.

Socal858
01-21-2007, 3:37 PM
not to sound rude (or funny), but it may hit you in the face depending on eye relief. be careful

Stevec
01-21-2007, 4:14 PM
Not rude at all. That's my concern, which is why I asked the question. I was hoping someone had already tried it. ;)

The Leupold has eye relief of 4.9" (2x) - 3.8" (7x)

gunrun45
01-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I've had 2 of these units. One on a rem 870 and the other is on my wife's mossy 500. They will move about 2 inches to the rear. I would give a safety margin of another inch or so for safety...
Buyer-be-ware. They have a warning posted both on their website and with the product when you receive it. I can't remember the exact distance they advise to leave.

Stevec
01-22-2007, 3:16 AM
Thanks gunrun45, that's what I was afraid of. :(

Stevec
01-22-2007, 4:49 PM
From Knoxx support: =

"We recommend a minimum of three inches of eye relief. The Leupold scope has more than that so, unless you crowd the scope, you won't have a problem. We have found that those who get hit by the scope would have been hit by it using a regular stock. Some people get way too close to the scope."

I'm going to have a friend of mine measure me from the scope to my forehead with the gun at the ready (unloaded of course). I'll have him measure at 2x and 7x just for safety.

Nismo
01-22-2007, 8:00 PM
Just tape a straw to the end of the scope sticking out 3 inches and see how close that comes to your face.

Stevec
01-23-2007, 4:44 AM
well "duh"... that'd be waaaaaay to easy! ;) Thanks for the tip! Sounds like a plan

Aluisious
01-23-2007, 6:31 AM
I had one of those stocks, and sold it because it never fit my trigger group quite right, left a gap. I put on the old factory stock again, and realized that the stiffer recoil was preferable to the gun jumping around on me.

YMMV