PDA

View Full Version : What type of media

vwsergio
01-19-2007, 7:07 PM
What the best type of media to use to clean brass?? I have been told corn cobb. or walnut shells??

xrMike
01-19-2007, 8:04 PM
What the best type of media to use to clean brass?? I have been told corn cobb. or walnut shells??My admittedly-limited experience has been that all you need is crushed walnut -- the kind you buy for lizard cages at Pets Mart.

Originally I tried a double-whammy with walnut + corncob, but all the corncob did was pack up inside my .223 cases and was a real biotch to get out... I discovered that if you tumble long enough in crushed walnut (3 hours for .45ACP, and no more than a couple hours for .223), you get really bright shiny brass.

(I decap first, then tumble, then reload.)

I throw a capfull of that "Nu-Finish" car wax + a capfull of mineral spirits in the media every couple of runs and the stuff comes out looking like 90% brand new, which is good enough for me.

ocabj
01-19-2007, 8:11 PM
Be sure to get untreated media. Don't get that prepackaged tumbing media like the Lyman media they sell at Turners. The stuff they put into the media gunks up the bowl of your tumbler and it dusts like no one's business.

Then if you feel the need, add 'treatment' as necessary. The Nu-Finish and mineral spirits method is the same one I use. Just don't use too much of either. A little goes a long way.

Sheldon
01-19-2007, 9:15 PM
I feel the extra hardness of the walnut over the corn cobb would make it a more aggressive media. I figure the cobb would make a better polishing media, but both work.

TonyM
01-20-2007, 9:01 AM
I run 2 tumblers, in my big Dillon I use a 50/50 mix of corn and walnut. This is the extent of what 95% of my shells see. Then I have one that is just corn, this one is just for polishing when I want ultra shiny bullets after I load them.

Sometimes I feel like shining up the bullets for my guns, it makes them feel special. ;)

anyracoon
01-21-2007, 7:29 AM
I buy a 50# bag of medium walnut hull at the feed store where we buy horse supplys, $14.99. That sure beats the price I used to pay at gun shows, $3.00 for a 5# zip lock bag. 2 capfuls of Nu-Finish in my Dillon 2001 tumbler, 2 to 3 hours later, like new brass.

Ninja45
01-26-2007, 3:11 PM
Walnut media for over twenty five years of brass tumbling....why argue with success? I used and tried all media out there and finally settled on crushed walnut. Faster and cleaner.