PDA

View Full Version : California resident, Florida LTC, carry in Iowa.

Left Coast Conservative
08-21-2011, 9:27 AM
I just received my Florida license to carry a concealed weapon, and decided to double check the laws of states where I want to carry a weapon, one of which is Iowa.

Now, the Iowa Department of Public Safety publishes this FAQ (http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/SF2379_FAQ.pdf) that states that one does not have to be a resident of the state issuing their LTC.

However, the NRA-ILA has this chart (http://www.nraila.org/recmap/iowarec.pdf) clearly showing that Iowa seems to require that the person must be a resident of the state that issues their permit.

Does anyone know which is correct?

I have sent an e-mail to the Iowa DPS requesting a clarification, but I thought the question would be of interest to Calguns reader as well.

press1280
08-21-2011, 9:31 AM
I'm almost positive you're fine. The only people who can't carry on another state's LTC is Iowa residents. The NRA-ILA link is wrong IMO.

Gray Peterson
08-21-2011, 9:46 AM
I DPS is correct. NRA-ILA is not. Carry.

Window_Seat
08-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Agreed, that the NRA-ILA is wrong... The Iowa faq states that it will recognize non-resident permits, according to the bill.

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/linc/SF2379_Reprinted.pdf

SENATE FILE 2379
BY GRONSTAL
(COMPANION TO 6267YH BY
McCARTHY)
(As Amended and Passed by the Senate March 27, 2010)

Sec. 10. NEW SECTION. 724.11A Recognition.
A valid permit or license issued by another state to any
nonresident of this state shall be considered to be a valid
permit or license to carry weapons issued pursuant to this
chapter, except that such permit or license shall not be
considered to be a substitute for an annual permit to acquire
pistols or revolvers issued pursuant to section 724.15.

It doesn't specifically state that the permittee can be a non-resident, but if they wanted the permittee to be a resident, it would have been specified, so you're good to go.

Erik.

GaryV
08-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Your CWFL should have come with a list of states (on a yellow/golden sheet of paper) with whom they have reciprocity. The list tells which states only accept resident licenses. I don't believe Iowa is one, so you should be fine.

Quiet
08-21-2011, 10:38 AM
AFAIK...
The following states only honor resident permits from the states they honor:
CO
FL
NH
ME
MI
SC

So, for example...
CO will honor the AZ permit from a AZ resident, but will not honor the AZ permit from a CA resident.

Left Coast Conservative
08-22-2011, 6:40 AM
Just to wind up this thread, here is the reply from the Iowa DPS. As pointed out by others, the NRA has this one wrong:

RE: Non-resident Concealed Weapon Permits

Iowa recognizes any carry permit issued to any nonresident. The carry permit does not have to be issued by the state of residence. An Iowa resident must have an Iowa carry permit. Otherwise, the state of issue does not matter.

A nonresident permit allows the nonresident permit holder to carry weapons openly or concealed in the same manner as an Iowa resident who has an Iowa nonprofessional permit. This includes dangerous weapons as defined by Iowa law (e.g., firearms, long bladed knives, switchblades, stun guns, etc.). A recognized nonresident carry permit is valid in Iowa for either open or concealed carry of firearms in the same manner as a permit issued in Iowa which includes the ability to carry loaded and/or concealed firearms of all types in your motor vehicle.

Iowa Code 724.11A

Sec. 10. NEW SECTION. 724.11A Recognition.

A valid permit or license issued by another state to any

nonresident of this state shall be considered to be a valid

permit or license to carry weapons issued pursuant to this

chapter, except that such permit or license shall not be

considered to be a substitute for an annual permit to acquire

pistols or revolvers issued pursuant to section 724.15.