PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 SPS Tactical

valleyheat
08-21-2011, 2:50 AM
Just bought the SPS Tactical today in the .308 caliber. Its my first rifle and i'd like to get some good glass. My buddy has the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP Riflescope on his, but I was looking at the Bushnell Tactical Elite 6500 2.5-16x42mm Riflescope.

I plan on using the rifle 99% of the time at the range. My goal is to work the 300-500 range and in the much later future, try working up to 800+. I will also try lugging it around once or twice to hunt pigs.

Is the Bushnell 6500 a good overall choice? Should I get a larger objective lens or stay with 40 to 42?

Any other recommendations? I am trying to stay under the $1000 range.

Also any good recommendations for scope rings/mounts?

Thanks!

45R
08-21-2011, 9:55 AM
I have a set of Seekins Scope rings on my SPS Tactical that hold a 10X SS scope. They work great and hold zero excellent.

valleyheat
08-21-2011, 10:03 AM
ty, ill check it out

uscbigdawg
08-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Get the Vortex and go with EGW base and rings. There's a big difference between what holds up on the public line and what holds up when it's being beaten on with weather and use. My EGW base and rings held up at the Allegheny Sniper Challenge when others' big dollar stuff didn't.

The fact about EGW is that he's a world class machine shop that often machines the parts for a lot of the cool kids that just put their name on his products. George Smith is a top notch guy and stands behind everything he does. The prices are more than fair too. I got mine at Freedom Gunworks (http://www.freedomgunworks.com/).

Glass. There is an old adage of buy once cry once. However, on my SPS-V that I used at the ASC, I have a Leupold Mk4 LR/T 4.5-14x40 with TMR reticle from the Custom Shop. If I ever sell this scope, I will definitely go with the Vortex PST 6-24x. It's what's on my John Whidden built 7WSM. The knobs are great with positive stops, they have a zero stop system in place and if you go FFP, you're still just under $1k.

I get all my glass from Mike at CS Tactical (http://www.cstactical.com/). He's a Calgunner, a Calguns supporter and being brutally honest, we need to try and keep California money within California as much as possible.

Rich

valleyheat
08-21-2011, 11:45 AM
thx for the info.

Would you guys recommend for someone with my limited knowledge just start off with teh 4-16 or just go with the 6-24 ?

uscbigdawg
08-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Really depends on how far you're going to shoot. A 4-16x is more than enough magnification for you for a while. My 14x did well enough for >1000 yard shots in a 308.

Here's what I'd get in a 4-16x: Vortex PST 4-16x FFP EBR-1 at CS Tactical (http://www.cstactical.com/Viper-PST-Series/OPTICS/Rifle-Scopes/Vortex-Optics/Viper-PST-Series/Vortex-Viper-PST-4-16x50-FFP-EBR-1.html)...

...but for $50 more you can get the 6-24x, so given that, I think I'd just go for the bigger glass. Rings and bases are the same price and again, I'd go EGW from Freedom Gunworks (http://www.freedomgunworks.com/). I don't think Bobby has them on the website, but I know he's got them 'cause I've bought 3 sets from him.

The other question to consider is going mil/mil or MOA/MOA. I'm a MOA guy, just 'cause my brain thinks in inches and can adjust quickly for that. Mils are VERY nice though because you don't have to dial as much. Consider you had a 308 load that was say 36 MOA to 1000 yards. Speaking in round numbers, 1 mil is 3-ish inches or 3-ish MOA (before anyone has a heart attack, I'm GREATLY simplifying this). In a MOA/MOA scope, you'll dial 36 minutes and send it. In a mil/mil scope, you'll dial 12 mils and done. In a lot of scopes, you have 12 minutes in one revolution. So, in a MOA scope, you'll have 3 complete revolutions. Not a big deal as long as you keep track of the number of revs and/or you have a zero stop (you will have a zero stop on the Vortex and the turrets allow great tracking of the number of revs). In a comparable mil scope, a lot of times you'll see 5 mils per rev, so you're looking at only 2 revs + 2 mils. Just something to think about and why 0.1 MRAD (milradian) adjustment scopes are really popular.

Note too that when you order your base, get a 20 MOA base. Again, depending on the distance you'll be shooting, you may not need it, but if you want to shoot longer range with a 308, it's basically required. I have an EGW 20 MOA base, 100 yard zero and have more than enough elevation to get to 1k and beyond.

Hope that helps.

Rich

valleyheat
08-21-2011, 6:42 PM
Im slowly getting a better idea. I think i'll just spend the extra and get the 6-24x with the EGW mount/rings. Now a little more research on the height and I can finally get everything ordered..

uscbigdawg
08-21-2011, 8:21 PM
Pretty sure you need the 0.990" rings.

Rich