PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes attack spurs some changes in firearm code OC

gunsmith
08-20-2011, 6:37 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=8275907

Looks like they now say its OK to shoot a yote eating fido, I doubt however they are letting people OC in the OC...hahahah I'm quite funny aren't I?

gunsmith
08-20-2011, 6:39 PM
as I'm posting this coyotes are yipping and yapping outside, but where I live its legal to shoot them. So they stay away, durn yotes! They never stand still and let you take careful aim!

wjc
08-20-2011, 7:13 PM
as I'm posting this coyotes are yipping and yapping outside, but where I live its legal to shoot them. So they stay away, durn yotes! They never stand still and let you take careful aim!

You gotta learn how to lead em a little. :D

wilit
08-20-2011, 7:17 PM
I like the guy at they end, "Instead of killing them, they could just knock them out..." What planet does that dude live on? Maybe speaking to the coyote in soothing tones and asking politely to stop eating Fido would help too.

gunsmith
08-20-2011, 7:35 PM
LOL!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI

WTSGDYBBR
08-20-2011, 7:35 PM
So who up first to try to get a permit to shoot these Coyote ? I would love to go hunt these dogs.

Trailboss60
08-20-2011, 7:48 PM
I like the guy at they end, "Instead of killing them, they could just knock them out..." What planet does that dude live on? Maybe speaking to the coyote in soothing tones and asking politely to stop eating Fido would help too.

Maybe send him to buck-busters academy so that he can find a non lethal way to deal with critters...he could serve his community better.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khKrd1RNy2U

Trailboss60
08-20-2011, 8:02 PM
So who up first to try to get a permit to shoot these Coyote ? I would love to go hunt these dogs.

The new ordinance will now give the city manager and chief of police the authority to issue firearms permits to wildlife management companies.....But there will be restrictions since it is a permitting issue, including the hours, the validation process, and the weapons that are allowed to be used on the coyotes.

You would probably have an easier time getting the Democrats in the legislature to pass a "Rick Perry safe community/ predator eradication act of 2011", than you would be able to get the permit.

compulsivegunbuyer
08-20-2011, 8:03 PM
This is one stupid state. Hmmm, in other states they just shoot the stupid things.

gun toting monkeyboy
08-20-2011, 8:32 PM
It isn't the whole state. I live smack dab in the middle of San Diego county, and I can blast the buggers if they get out of hand. Fortunately the coyotes we have running around on my property are well behaved and leave our chickens and horses alone. As long as they behave, I have no problem with them. Better to leave them than risk having more aggressive ones move in. However, and the first sign of trouble, I whip out the spotlight and blow them away.

gunsmith
08-20-2011, 8:46 PM
here in northern NV we shoot on sight, seems to work pretty good, I hear em all the time but getting close enough for a shot is difficult.

At least progress is being made, a little sad though that a small dog gets killed & they take action but children get attacked all the time and nada/no action like letting folks carry.

blazeaglory
08-20-2011, 11:21 PM

The summer of 69 is dead man. But then they would ban soothing tones

ccmc
08-21-2011, 5:43 AM
here in northern NV we shoot on sight, seems to work pretty good, I hear em all the time but getting close enough for a shot is difficult.

At least progress is being made, a little sad though that a small dog gets killed & they take action but children get attacked all the time and nada/no action like letting folks carry.

You do know that statiscally far more people get attacked by domestic dogs than by coyotes, right? I've got coyotes and bobcats on my property. Never had a problem with either one. I'd shoot one if it was threatening me or a pet, but not just on sight for no other reason. That's bad karma, and yes, I expect to get severely flamed. BTW the only interaction I've experienced between a coyote and one of my dogs ended up bad for the coyote. And that wasn't a pretty sight either.

cdtx2001
08-21-2011, 5:50 AM
Shoot, shovel, stfu. That will have to be Joe Blow citizen's tactic for dealing with aggressive yotes. In order to get a permit it appears one will have to first bow to the king and be super special.

DannyInSoCal
08-21-2011, 6:36 AM
Coyote jerky.....

voiceofreason
08-21-2011, 6:58 AM
Even so, some residents and animal activists disagree with the use of firearms to hunt and shoot the animals.

"What they could do, instead of killing them, is knocking them out," said Laguna Woods resident Don Angle. "Just take them to a different place."

dominic
08-21-2011, 7:30 AM
Even so, some residents and animal activists disagree with the use of firearms to hunt and shoot the animals.

"What they could do, instead of killing them, is knocking them out," said Laguna Woods resident Don Angle. "Just take them to a different place."

Are you saying you agree with them? Because relocating an animal that is already overpopulated does not make biological sense. That is why relocating wildlife is against the law in California.

69Mach1
08-21-2011, 7:38 AM
It's not just small animals that the Coyote will hunt. Watch your small children.

Mstnpete
08-21-2011, 7:48 AM
Correct! A kid was bitten "Mauled" by one at the state park when I used to reside in Chino Hills. Those mangy dogs are very ballsy at 5 am. I see 2 yotes in front of my yard. They could smell my dog. All I could do is yell at them.

The city killed the yote that mauled the kid.

Time for a hunt!
Time to take the Tikka T3 Lite in 223 for Predator hunt!

bubbapug1
08-21-2011, 8:14 AM
You do know that statiscally far more people get attacked by domestic dogs than by coyotes, right? I've got coyotes and bobcats on my property. Never had a problem with either one. I'd shoot one if it was threatening me or a pet, but not just on sight for no other reason. That's bad karma, and yes, I expect to get severely flamed. BTW the only interaction I've experienced between a coyote and one of my dogs ended up bad for the coyote. And that wasn't a pretty sight either.

I had my dog attacked by two dogs last week, and not one coyote.

The war agasint the yote has gone just about as well as the war on terror and drugs...coyotes have expanded their range three fold since arrival of the white man in north america...why? Because he has killed off the coyotes competitor the wolf and provided food in the way of cats and dogs!!

The problem isn't going to be solved by shooting a few coyotes as they ramp up breeding to maintain the status quo....what we need people to do is buy bigger meaner dogs. ;)

donw
08-21-2011, 8:32 AM

same here...i live across from a reservation and they hang out just inside the treeline where i can't get a good shot...:(

Wernher von Browning
08-21-2011, 9:06 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=8275907

Looks like they now say its OK to shoot a yote eating fido, I doubt however they are letting people OC in the OC...hahahah I'm quite funny aren't I?

I started a thread on this topic back in June.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=439299

My thoughts too, OC or CCW would be one rational response to the problem. But that's not gonna happen with our glorious sheriffette. And open carry is worthless given the Federal Gun Free School Zone insanity.

Seems to me that this is one more thing to bring up in the appeal of Peruta v. San Diego. We have lots of wildlands here in southern California but are in effect prohibited from carrying the single most effective defense against dangerous predatory animals.

Just this morning I ran across this, looking up background on a story about funding CA state parks -- see section on cougar attacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyamaca_Rancho_State_Park#Mountain_lion_encounter s

Note common thread -- none of these people were armed in any way, except maybe kinda sorta the one with pepper spray (hard to understand that entry, whether it was immediately effective or not). Many of these cats were shot, but by the "professionals" on public payroll, hours or days later. Like the old gag, "when seconds count, help is minutes away." It's the old left/right, big government/small government divide in microcosm -- "You aren't allowed to take care of yourself, that's what we're here for."

dawgcasa
08-21-2011, 9:17 AM
Don't ever doubt that coyotes are smart pack hunters and can easily overpower small children. I grew up on a farm in the Imperial Valley and we had a male/female pair of Australian shephards. Every time they had a litter of puppies the coyotes would come in to try and steal some away. They'd attack in two packs, one to draw the pair of Aussies away, another to sneak in behind from the other side. Coordinated. As an adult, one-on-one you're generally OK, but you're still at risk of a pack attack where coyotes become much more agressive.

BigDogatPlay
08-21-2011, 9:20 AM
The war agasint the yote has gone just about as well as the war on terror and drugs...coyotes have expanded their range three fold since arrival of the white man in north america...why? Because he has killed off the coyotes competitor the wolf and provided food in the way of cats and dogs!!

^^^This^^^

And while wolf populations are making strong comebacks coyote populations continue to explode and they continue to move into the urban interface where shooting them in an attack would be a dicey proposition from a legal perspective.

Populations of pretty much all game and predatory animals are growing in California if for no other reason than the state makes it so damnably hard to hunt.

Riodog
08-21-2011, 10:03 AM
^^^This^^^

And while wolf populations are making strong comebacks coyote populations continue to explode and they continue to move into the urban interface where shooting them in an attack would be a dicey proposition from a legal perspective.

Populations of pretty much all game and predatory animalsincluding 2 legged ones are growing in California if for no other reason than the state makes it so damnably hard to hunt.

I added a lil for you.
Rio

gunsmith
08-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, I like coyotes & think they're awesome.
Me shooting everyone I see is teaching them that humans are something to stay away from.
Coyotes range has expanded way way past the old range, they're like the Norwegian Rat in the respect. I'm not trying to eradicate the yotes anymore then I would think I could empty the ocean with a bucket. Suburban & city folks have to keep a close eye on their pets/children due to aggressive yotes, I'm lucky if I get to shoot one yote a year. Everyone out here shoots yotes it hasn't dented the population but yotes have learned that human equals death & the result is cats/puppies/chickens/toddlers walk around without worrying about yotes. Good for them & us.

gunsmith
08-21-2011, 10:42 AM
I had my dog attacked by two dogs last week, and not one coyote.

The problem isn't going to be solved by shooting a few coyotes as they ramp up breeding to maintain the status quo....what we need people to do is buy bigger meaner dogs. ;)

its not a "war against yotes" its education. Yotes in socal know that humans equal food and eat your pets and attack your children, yotes up here in America know that humans equal death and use their brains to stay out of firearms range & consequently away from our pets, pets that are not in yards or cooped up but roaming free on 40 acres right up against BLM land/wilderness. Bigger meaner dogs? ha! its not the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog Personally I prefer Rat Terriers, the perfect tactical dog-can be trained easily, can be trained to hunt rabbits if TSHTF & that means easy food for both. Portable, often will growl rather then bark and give away your position - if its cold you can stick it in your sleeping bag if its hot he can kill rodents that are eating your supplies. I've had huge dogs and little dogs and love em both-but feeding big dogs gets expensive.

lhecker51
08-21-2011, 1:07 PM

The official rules of engagement for coyote attacks are as follows:

1. Your feather pillow must be registered.
2. You may carry your pillow holstered in the open, but must be unloaded of feathers. Feathers may be in a bag on your person but not loaded.
3. You may only un-holster, load, and utilize your pillow in cases where the coyote has eaten no less than 10% of the pet and only until the coyote ceases eating or has finished their meal.

lhecker51
08-21-2011, 1:17 PM
I started a thread on this topic back in June.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=439299

My thoughts too, OC or CCW would be one rational response to the problem. But that's not gonna happen with our glorious sheriffette. And open carry is worthless given the Federal Gun Free School Zone insanity.

Seems to me that this is one more thing to bring up in the appeal of Peruta v. San Diego. We have lots of wildlands here in southern California but are in effect prohibited from carrying the single most effective defense against dangerous predatory animals.

Just this morning I ran across this, looking up background on a story about funding CA state parks -- see section on cougar attacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyamaca_Rancho_State_Park#Mountain_lion_encounter s

Note common thread -- none of these people were armed in any way, except maybe kinda sorta the one with pepper spray (hard to understand that entry, whether it was immediately effective or not). Many of these cats were shot, but by the "professionals" on public payroll, hours or days later. Like the old gag, "when seconds count, help is minutes away." It's the old left/right, big government/small government divide in microcosm -- "You aren't allowed to take care of yourself, that's what we're here for."

It's not all as bad as most folks make the cougar problem out to be. I saw no mention of the fact that if one is killed by a cougar, a memorial bench will be dedicated and placed in the park.

dominic
08-21-2011, 1:39 PM
I love the second to last comment below the article: The rest of you may want to give the coyotes a severe speaking to and ask them politely to stop eating our pets off the end of the leash as we are walking them, but we live in the real world and know that speaking to coyotes in soothing tones and cowering in your Birkenstock's behind your beaded curtains doesn't work. Coyotes only understand the steel trap and the lead bullet. That is what worked to keep coyotes under control in the west for 300 years, until you hippies took over.

gunsmith
08-21-2011, 8:59 PM
The official rules of engagement for coyote attacks are as follows:

1. Your feather pillow must be registered.
2. You may carry your pillow holstered in the open, but must be unloaded of feathers. Feathers may be in a bag on your person but not loaded.
3. You may only un-holster, load, and utilize your pillow in cases where the coyote has eaten no less than 10% of the pet and only until the coyote ceases eating or has finished their meal.

Don Angle of Laguna woods says "knock them out" LOL well ... you can tell him yourself what a wonderful idea that is!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000549106651

Trailboss60
08-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Don Angle of Laguna woods says "knock them out" LOL well ... you can tell him yourself what a wonderful idea that is!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000549106651

About Don I am one person in a family of 10 very interesting
individuals. I'm proud of all the adventures we've
gone thru & still open for the next one. I massage
people & animals,like to cook,& drink way too many
espresso drinks daily.

I wonder if he wears a loincloth as he gives coyote massages?

dantodd
08-21-2011, 10:36 PM
maybe it's late and my reading comprehension is shot or perhaps this thread is really as full of fail as it seems.

Animal attacks my property (chickens, cats, etc.) = Animal dies
Animal attacks my family or me = Animal dies.

Dog mauls child = dog dies
'yote mauls child = 'yote dies

Increased hunting of the coyote will allow other predators to better re-populate. The problem is that in nature a top predatory species that claims a territory also maintains the population of the prey animals. We are not doing our "natural" duty in that respect. If we kept the populations of all the prey animals in-check then the other predators would recognize that our "claimed" territory is not theirs simply because there isn't enough to eat.

almaster666
08-21-2011, 11:03 PM
I don't know about elsewhere, but here in San Mateo, I think our coyote population has decreased. I used to hear them howling all the time (I live near the woods) but in the past 5 years, I've seen and heard them a lot less. Same goes for racoons. They used to be all over the place and I haven't seen one in 2 years...
Maybe just a coincidence

ccmc
08-22-2011, 4:00 AM
www.naplesnews.com/photos/galleries/2011/aug/21/adopted-dog-surrogate-mother-coyote-pups-zoo/190347/

Wernher von Browning
08-22-2011, 7:11 AM
maybe it's late and my reading comprehension is shot or perhaps this thread is really as full of fail as it seems.

And then what happens?

Because something happens after that. That's the point of this thread.

Worst case, depending on how / where / who sees the "dies" part, you may be going to jail, and lose your gun rights forever. OP reads "Looks like they now say its OK to shoot a yote eating fido, I doubt however they are letting people OC in the OC."

The idea is, "X dies... And nothing happens to me." We're trying to get the second part of that nailed down.

swilson
08-22-2011, 7:24 AM
It isn't the whole state. I live smack dab in the middle of San Diego county, and I can blast the buggers if they get out of hand. Fortunately the coyotes we have running around on my property are well behaved and leave our chickens and horses alone. As long as they behave, I have no problem with them. Better to leave them than risk having more aggressive ones move in. However, and the first sign of trouble, I whip out the spotlight and blow them away.

It's legal to shoot coyotes in San Diego? You mean on private property? I live right next to a canyon just off the 8 and coyotes regularly run up and down my street, and have even run up my driveway and into the front yard. I remember a couple years ago they cleaned out the local outdoor cat polulation in my area and even a few dogs.

CSACANNONEER
08-22-2011, 7:35 AM
It's legal to shoot coyotes in San Diego? You mean on private property? I live right next to a canyon just off the 8 and coyotes regularly run up and down my street, and have even run up my driveway and into the front yard. I remember a couple years ago they cleaned out the local outdoor cat polulation in my area and even a few dogs.

It's legal to shoot them on public property too. Just remember that you need a hunting license and the area that you wish to hunt has to allow the discharge of firearms. So, in many areas, it's a no-go.

That said, I live were I can shoot them but, even though I have small dogs and have seen 'yote's within slingshot distance, I have yet to fire at one. As long as they help keep the rodent population in check and don't go after my wife's little Pom or our Sheltie, I'm happy to have them around. The more mice they eat, the less buzzworms around the house.

ccmc
08-22-2011, 8:36 AM
I live were I can shoot them but, even though I have small dogs and have seen 'yote's within slingshot distance, I have yet to fire at one. As long as they help keep the rodent population in check and don't go after my wife's little Pom or our Sheltie, I'm happy to have them around. The more mice they eat, the less buzzworms around the house.

A common sense approach.

Wherryj
08-22-2011, 8:38 AM

Living in the PRK, knocking the beast out would be my first choice should I ever run into a situation involving a mountain lion or coyote becoming a threat to a family member. The proper technique involves an F450 and a run up to about 50 MPH...

BlindRacer
08-22-2011, 9:01 AM
I live in Orange County. Major city area. Freeways, housing tracks, apartments, industrial areas.

I live in a large complex with over 500 residents. Everyone just got a notice that there are at least 3 coyotes living on the grounds, and that we shouldn't let our kids outside... yes, middle of August in summer... that's going to happen.

I have a 1 year old, and a 3 year old.

Wernher von Browning
08-22-2011, 9:06 AM

And then what happens?
Example of what can happen after "X dies."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-02-20-lion-turf-war_x.htm

OK, so you do what you have to do. Afterwards you have to deal with the kind of people who suggest you should have "knocked it out."
(I suppose this technique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVS1UfCfxlU
is not considered fair play).

joefreas
08-22-2011, 9:09 AM
If only there was a professional coyote hunter.

Wernher von Browning
08-22-2011, 9:16 AM
I live in Orange County. Major city area. Freeways, housing tracks, apartments, industrial areas.

I live in a large complex with over 500 residents. Everyone just got a notice that there are at least 3 coyotes living on the grounds, and that we shouldn't let our kids outside... yes, middle of August in summer... that's going to happen.

You and your neighbors need to raise bloody hell with the city to have the coyotes removed. You are paying taxes for... for... SOMEthing or other and you expect the damn bureaucrats to get off their lardasses and earn their keep. (Don't quote me if you want results). Alternative / parallel course of action -- if you are renting, raise bloody hell with the property owners. THEY can hire an exterminator on their own. It's why you pay their outrageous rent. Threaten lawsuit against one or both. If they are put on notice that they will pay a huge price if anyone (like, a small human) is hurt, after they know damn well there is a problem and have acknowledged it, they may be goaded into action. Seems that in the USA, nothing happens unless legal action is threatened.

We had exactly that same situation, except for the posting of notices. Enough people complained, the city hired exterminators to set traps and remove the coyotes. Can't shoot them here -- there is absolutely no line of sight that doesn't end in somebody's ticky-tacky stucco house within a couple of hundred yards. Any reasonable cartridge for the job (Ralphie, put away that BB gun) will go through a couple of houses.

Honest to God, I can't think of any city agencies anywhere more freaking useless than "animal control."

Wernher von Browning
08-22-2011, 9:22 AM
If only there was a professional coyote hunter.

Hey, maybe you can develop this into a new reality TV series. (Every other idea seems to end up that way).

Kind of like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKlkD-D20OI

gunsmith
08-22-2011, 9:51 AM

Statistically people cant spell statistically, right?
I do not care about how dogs attack more then yotes, we do not have feral dogs or any problem like that-I know every dog ( by name) in a 100 mile radius! that's how rural I am.

I shoot on sight for a dam good reason! it teaches the yotes tha humans are dangerous, good for yotes and good for my cats/puppies and other critters I'm fond of.

Bad karma!?? the yotes karma and mine and yours were predetermined at the beginning of time ... its not my fault my karma ran over your dogma.!!!

BTW all interactions between me and yotes end up bad for yotes, but good for vultures/crows & flies. Lets just rephrase it as I am helping vulture karma, to paraphrase some western movie I seen before- vultures gotta eat-same as worms!

gunsmith
08-22-2011, 10:03 AM

You know, that really stinks! Yotes are active summer & winter, a threat to children like a yote has to be removed.

Wernher von Browning
08-22-2011, 10:06 AM

And the Lord spake, "Let he who is without sin, cast the first (missing) apostrophe." :D

voiceofreason
08-22-2011, 10:12 AM

"I have coyote food."

Wherryj
08-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I do not care about how dogs attack more then yotes, we do not have feral dogs or any problem like that-I know every dog ( by name) in a 100 mile radius! that's how rural I am.

I shoot on sight for a dam good reason! it teaches the yotes tha humans are dangerous, good for yotes and good for my cats/puppies and other critters I'm fond of.

Bad karma!?? the yotes karma and mine and yours were predetermined at the beginning of time ... its not my fault my karma ran over your dogma.!!!

BTW all interactions between me and yotes end up bad for yotes, but good for vultures/crows & flies. Lets just rephrase it as I am helping vulture karma, to paraphrase some western movie I seen before- vultures gotta eat-same as worms!
All that you need to know about statistics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUK6zjtUj00&feature=related

gunsmith
08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
All that you need to know about statistics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUK6zjtUj00&feature=related

LOL!! oh man that's great!!!!!!!! thank you thank you!!!

Scotty
08-22-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm shocked they didn't do what UC Davis is doing with the squirrel over-population. UCD is spaying and neutering squirrels, along with other birth control drugs. And people wonder why the tuition keeps going up.

gunsmith
08-22-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm shocked they didn't do what UC Davis is doing with the squirrel over-population. UCD is spaying and neutering squirrels, along with other birth control drugs. And people wonder why the tuition keeps going up.

The best way to catch squirrels is climb up a tree and act like a nut.

Wernher von Browning
08-22-2011, 11:36 AM
UCD is spaying and neutering squirrels, along with other birth control drugs. And people wonder why the tuition keeps going up.

Ya know, it's the fees for the anesthesiologist, the leetle teeny tiny scalpels, the post-op treatment, the support group, the counseling...

CSACANNONEER
08-22-2011, 11:38 AM

I would think that it would be considered "animal cruelty" to take away a squirrel's nuts?

glockman19
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Where is PCH when you need him? :D (Banned) :eek:

He would have loved this thread

Attiic
08-22-2011, 3:54 PM
Where is PCH when you need him? :D (Banned) :eek:

He would have loved this thread

I hear he has a whole crate of garands he hunts with!

dantodd
08-22-2011, 4:00 PM
And then what happens?

Because something happens after that. That's the point of this thread.

Worst case, depending on how / where / who sees the "dies" part, you may be going to jail, and lose your gun rights forever. OP reads "Looks like they now say its OK to shoot a yote eating fido, I doubt however they are letting people OC in the OC."

The idea is, "X dies... And nothing happens to me." We're trying to get the second part of that nailed down.

In any of the situations I described you are protected by law for killing a predator. You are always protected when defending your life or that of others. There are anti-predation exceptions for livestock and domestic animals.

compulsivegunbuyer
08-22-2011, 4:14 PM

That's truly is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I just spent 3 weeks at a friends ranch in southern Colorado. They shoot coyotes on sight, and ya know what, their not a problem. He drove me around in the Polaris while I hung over the top and blasted ground squirrels and prairie dogs with a shotgun. That's how you take care of pests. The liberals in this state are out of their friggin mind.

chris12
08-22-2011, 4:15 PM
Ya know, it's the fees for the anaesthesioligist, the leetle teeny tiny scalpels, the post-op treatment, the support group, the counseling...

:rofl: Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

rugershooter
08-23-2011, 12:12 AM

I'm in east county SD. Just shot one at a friend's house last week. The coyotes go after their chickens and goats. I tested out some Hornady 124 gr. TAP 9mm...blasted a big hole in the in the head.

ccmc
08-23-2011, 5:52 AM

Thank you for catching me on a spelling error (BTW in the context you used it's spelled DAMN - you're welcome). I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about whether or not karma is predetermined or can be influenced, and the desire to kill premptively.

Wernher von Browning
08-23-2011, 7:10 AM
That's how you take care of pests. The liberals in this state are out of their friggin mind.

Sir! You forget! At UC Davis, squirrels are future students!!!

lhecker51
08-23-2011, 7:38 AM
It's not all as bad as most folks make the cougar problem out to be. I saw no mention of the fact that if one is killed by a cougar, a memorial bench will be dedicated and placed in the park.

I was being sarcastic, though they did erect a memorial bench for one victim, that was an isolated case. Cougar attacks are on the rise in my area.

I have seen a cougar walking nonchalantly down my street and I am not on the edge of a forest. The larger problem are the coyotes. Bears and mountain lion encounters in the suburbs is on the rise though. The disturbing fact is that the cougars involved in these encounters were normally old ones, but now more and more of the encounters are with younger adult cougars which indicate an expansion of their territory into the burbs as they compete for forage with an ever growing population of cougars and humans. Common sense would dictate that encounters will continue to rise and at a faster pace.

I found that coyotes, mountain lions and bears do not distinguish between state and national parks. Unfortunately for us, you can UOC in a national park, but cannot do so in a state park.

I grew up on a ranch in SoCal and will neither confirm nor deny that mountain lion and bear encounters with our livestock ultimately triggered the three S's strategy.

How bad the problem is and the trend toward more frequent encounters is a matter of perspective and where you live.

lhecker51
08-23-2011, 7:40 AM

I agree. Coyotes that are encountered in the burbs or on your ranch should always be shot on site or the problem will continue.

I am for coyote free residential areas and I approve this comment.

lhecker51
08-23-2011, 7:42 AM
If only there was a professional coyote hunter. You are kidding right?

lhecker51
08-23-2011, 7:55 AM
Thank you for catching me on a spelling error (BTW in the context you used it's spelled DAMN - you're welcome). I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about whether or not karma is predetermined or can be influenced, and the desire to kill premptively.
I guarantee that if you walked in a ranchers boots for a week your karma would be forgotten and you would see the need to shoot them on site or go broke as they devastate your calf population. That is the problem with the majority of folks living in their urban cocoons and having so much influence over our predator policies that directly impact the minority ranch and farm land owners that own the majority of private land in the state. I am glad you do not make policy decisions of us all.

The ranchers I know all shoot them on site to include myself. The only problem I have with shooting coyotes is the cost of my rounds after shooting a couple of dozen.

Wernher von Browning
08-23-2011, 8:54 AM
That is the problem with the majority of folks living in their urban cocoons and having so much influence over our predator policies that directly impact the minority ranch and farm land owners that own the majority of private land in the state. I am glad you do not make policy decisions of us all.

There's a telling bit in that one news article,
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-02-20-lion-turf-war_x.htm

"Alicia Laddin, a grandmother who rides her horses through nearby Trabuco Canyon every day, says the Hills should've let the mountain lion move on.

"Evidently she doesn't like the wild in wilderness," Laddin says of Lori Hill. "If you don't like it, move away. You moved right into the fringes of it ... I would feel so blessed at just seeing it. I would just leave it alone."

I wonder how Ms. Laddin's tune might change if the blessed wild critter decided to start munching on her (no doubt expensive) urban cowboy ride. "Omigawd!!! Why doesn't the Government PROTECT me and my Investment!!!" Maybe they can hire the nutter from Laguna Woods to come over and "knock it out."

stormy_clothing
08-23-2011, 8:57 AM
**** the permit - federal law is written on the back of the constitution which clearly states my ability to defend life and liberty from "all" threats.

ccmc
08-23-2011, 12:44 PM
I guarantee that if you walked in a ranchers boots for a week your karma would be forgotten and you would see the need to shoot them on site or go broke as they devastate your calf population. That is the problem with the majority of folks living in their urban cocoons and having so much influence over our predator policies that directly impact the minority ranch and farm land owners that own the majority of private land in the state. I am glad you do not make policy decisions of us all.

The ranchers I know all shoot them on site to include myself. The only problem I have with shooting coyotes is the cost of my rounds after shooting a couple of dozen.

What makes you think I live in an urban cocoon, and what makes you think I have any desire to make policy decisions for you or anyone else? You're wrong on both counts. I simply stated I have zero desire to shoot a coyote, bobcat or any other animal on sight unless it's threatening me or a loved one (human or animal). My opinion (and that's all it is) is that coyotes are on balance beneficial to the ecosystem. If you get your kicks shooting dozens of coyotes on sight, have at it.

Glock22Fan
08-23-2011, 1:20 PM
We have had a big influx of city folk (who presumably can't afford housing in the city any more) this last five years or so. They drive their cars along our windy, blind cornered, dirt roads at breakneck speeds, don't slow down for horses, don't pull in to let you pass (and don't wave when you do), let their kids (many of whom look as if they are still in diapers) drive off road bikes and quads without supervision, let their dogs roam freely (we often hear the coyote packs making a kill), are anti-guns and, perhaps worst of all, feed the dear little coyotes, because, after all, they were here first.

gunsmith
08-23-2011, 4:15 PM
We have had a big influx of city folk (who presumably can't afford housing in the city any more) this last five years or so. They drive their cars along our windy, blind cornered, dirt roads at breakneck speeds, don't slow down for horses, don't pull in to let you pass (and don't wave when you do), let their kids (many of whom look as if they are still in diapers) drive off road bikes and quads without supervision, let their dogs roam freely (we often hear the coyote packs making a kill), are anti-guns and, perhaps worst of all, feed the dear little coyotes, because, after all, they were here first.

amen!

BluePhoenix7
08-23-2011, 4:42 PM
I live just a block from the East side of O'Neill park in RSM. About a month ago I was driving up to my house at 2am and a coyote about the size of a small wolf jumped across my path with what looked like a chew toy in his mouth.

Curious I turned to tail him when I realized that the "toy" was someone's cat. He stopped in the middle of a neighbor's lawn and I stepped out to confront him. He figured it wasn't worth the effort, dropped the cat and hopped a nearby 7' fence.

I thought the cat was dead but he came around and crawled under a tree. He had some damage to his head, inner eye lens, and his throat was bleeding (his entire head fit in the coyote's mouth). We got him to a local animal clinic who passed him on to the Santa Ana shelter. Eventually we found the owners and it all has a happy ending. The cat was a large tabby, and the coyote was flailing him around like a toy.

In talking with the local animal hospital I learned that apparently coyotes have proven in studies to prefer cats and small dogs as meals vs. rabbits and other small animals around the park. Supposedly because the cats and dogs are well fed in this area. They've got a taste for the meat.

I've seen my neighbors leave a baby in a stroller before to go inside for "just a second". I have a feeling some day soon something bad is going to have to happen before people realize they're a serious threat.

Dutch3
08-23-2011, 5:17 PM
In talking with the local animal hospital I learned that apparently coyotes have proven in studies to prefer cats and small dogs as meals vs. rabbits and other small animals around the park. Supposedly because the cats and dogs are well fed in this area. They've got a taste for the meat.

Also likely that the domesticated animals are less likely to recognize the coyote as a threat and take evasive action as soon as the wild ones will.

Here, it is 3 S. I have thanked my neighbors for dealing with varmints and they have thanked me. Good judgment makes good neighbors just as good fences do.

Mulay El Raisuli
08-24-2011, 6:48 AM
I've seen my neighbors leave a baby in a stroller before to go inside for "just a second". I have a feeling some day soon something bad is going to have to happen before people realize they're a serious threat.

Yup. Because predicting the obvious is a skill long dead in the PRK.

The Raisuli

Wernher von Browning
08-24-2011, 6:57 AM

Yes, but even then, the lesson won't take. Not on the human collective anyway (remember, just about half of them are of below average intelligence).

We'll all say "Told you so" and there will be a media flap for about ten minutes, then all will go back to the way it was.

People as a group don't learn.