PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Hi-cap question

gatesbox
08-20-2011, 7:29 PM
This is probably dupe x1000

If I had a friend who moves to CA mistakenly imports his hi-cap AR mags fully assembled. Realizes that he has already broken CA law, puts them in an ammo can and buries them in the back yard for three years.

Does he now poses hi cap mags that can be used legally because the three year statute of limitations has passed?

I understand most of the restrictions and parsing of the law, just curious what one would have after three years....

Additionally, I have not nor do I plan on following this hypothetical scenario....I just hear many stories of folks mistakenly importing non compliant items into the state...curious what the status would be of such an item after three years.....would you crack open that ammo can and have at it?

Librarian
08-20-2011, 8:08 PM
Always remember that talking about a statute of limitations has as a first assumption that a crime has been committed.

That's not recommended behavior.

See the sticky post and the links in it -- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

OleCuss
08-20-2011, 8:08 PM
Does he now poses hi cap mags that can be used legally because the three year statute of limitations has passed?

Yes, he can now legally possess and use the magazines.

He should still keep his mouth shut about how he came to have them because some in law enforcement may not understand how the law works and he could be arrested and have to pay a lot of money for a lawyer. But it is legal.