PDA

View Full Version : Any K-9 LEO's on the forum

Bud Fox
08-20-2011, 4:36 AM
I'm doing Schutzhund with my dobie and I'm looking for people to do tracking with.

I've contacted LAPD and they don't do tracking so I'm hoping maybe a local Police Department or Sheriffs might. The problem with the concrete jungle we live in, it's hard as heck to find good tracking grounds without traveling 50 miles. I'm in the Pasadena area.

Thanks

Shellshocker66
08-20-2011, 7:25 AM
I'm doing Schutzhund with my dobie and I'm looking for people to do tracking with.

I've contacted LAPD and they don't do tracking so I'm hoping maybe a local Police Department or Sheriffs might. The problem with the concrete jungle we live in, it's hard as heck to find good tracking grounds without traveling 50 miles. I'm in the Pasadena area.

Thanks

Not an LEO

Question are you involved with a local Schutzhund club? I used to do Schutzhund years ago and the club held special events for the searching part of the training. Might want to contact some various clubs down there to see if they can help in that department. http://www.southwestschutzhund.com/sw_clubs.htm

Another option for searching is contacting one of the local search and rescue clubs.

Bud Fox
08-20-2011, 8:28 AM
Not an LEO

Question are you involved with a local Schutzhund club? I used to do Schutzhund years ago and the club held special events for the searching part of the training. Might want to contact some various clubs down there to see if they can help in that department. http://www.southwestschutzhund.com/sw_clubs.htm

Another option for searching is contacting one of the local search and rescue clubs.

Great link, thank you.

Bud Fox
08-20-2011, 8:55 AM
Not an LEO

BTW - Yeah we've been training in Schutzhund since December up by Bakersfield every Saturday. We've been off for that past two weeks due to events etc. He's going for his BH in November.

Here's a video of Enzo doing some bathroom work. The loud noises, slippery floor adds to the stress of the dog. Dobermans tend to be more nervy, but how they channel it makes the dog great or crap. Enzo goes into aggression, which is what you want. What sucked is after the third send in his leash wrapped around the bottom of the first stall and he didn't get in all the way until I unwrapped it. We did it again without the leash and he did great, but we don't have video of it.

It's kinda like putting the dog on the table, but with a different environment.

It does surprise me that more LEO's don't use Dobermans. I guess it's due to the fact that a lot of Dobermans have had the working aspect of them bred out of them here in the US.

6hiR06qyEcw

fullrearview
08-20-2011, 9:12 AM
Search and rescue??? You may be able to join and get some good courses.

Shellshocker66
08-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Search and rescue??? You may be able to join and get some good courses.

Not regular search and rescue but places like CARDA (California Rescue Dog Assc.) are great to start puppies out at for learning tracking.

Now back to the OP. I think it was one of the old myth's that started circulating in the 80's that Dobermans have a "soft mouth" that ended the Doberman being considered for police dog work. That was pretty much was everyone's belief was back in the day, not to mention the over breeding that occurred during the 70's and 80's that resulted in some not so great temperaments coming out in Dobies.

I think dogs are kinda like clothes when it comes to working dogs. One decade your in the next your out. Dobermans are great dogs and you hardly see them anymore so grats on training your dog!

After my last dog Eros died I never could go back to Schutzhund. I had him imported from Germany and he was a Sch III. I had trained several dogs before him but he was "the one". I have not owned a purebred dog since and the most I teach anymore is housebreaking and obedience. But it was a very fun sport while it lasted for me!

Bud Fox
08-20-2011, 4:13 PM
After my last dog Eros died I never could go back to Schutzhund. I had him imported from Germany and he was a Sch III. I had trained several dogs before him but he was "the one". I have not owned a purebred dog since and the most I teach anymore is housebreaking and obedience. But it was a very fun sport while it lasted for me!

Damn SS, I know a few people that had the same thing happen when loosing "the one", the vast majority are still trying to replace what they lost. Kinda sucks to watch. :(

chsk9
08-20-2011, 5:25 PM
For tracking alone- I second the search and rescue angle if your Schutzhund club isn't cutting it.

Bud Fox
08-20-2011, 5:42 PM
For tracking alone- I second the search and rescue angle if your Schutzhund club isn't cutting it.

It's not that they're not cutting it, it's just that my club in over 120 miles away and I'd like to do it during the week if possible. I really like the search and rescue idea you guys are recommending.

I'm going to look into that.