PDA

View Full Version : So my flight out of LAX is coming up, is this kosher? (picture)

Anchors
08-19-2011, 11:56 PM
SKB case locked with combo NON-TSA locks.
Then I used a cable lock to secure it to the frame of the soft case (to prevent sticky fingers...).

Do I need to use a TSA lock on the outside case? Or can I leave it unlocked? (To me, TSA locks scream "hey, come check out what I've got in here").

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ntinsy.jpg

My original thread was here.
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=6733493

wildhawker
08-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Just declare at the ticket counter and sign on the dotted line.

Looks GTG.

-Brandon

Anchors
08-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Is there a separate declaration for each firearm? I've got two in there with two boxes of ammo in their original containers, a Kershaw, and a SureFire.
I'll be in Florida right next to the water, worried about the sharks revolting.

NiteQwill
08-20-2011, 12:53 AM
An [orange] slip will go in each case, declaring that each firearm is unloaded.

One case = two firearms = 1 declaration.

Two cases = two firearms = 2 declarations

vice versa

Some ticket counters/TSA want to visually see it is unloaded, most just want you to sign the dotted line and throw it in the case. But no bigger grin will be obtained like racking a 28" 870 Wingmaster in an airport ticket terminal, for the former. ;)

InGrAM
08-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Hope it doesn't get "lost" TSA has a bunch of thief's on their payroll. Good luck to you.

Anchors
08-20-2011, 1:00 AM

vice versa

Some ticket counters/TSA want to visually see it is unloaded, most just want you to sign the dotted line and throw it in the case. But no bigger grin will be obtained like racking a 28" 870 Wingmaster in an airport ticket terminal, for the former. ;)

Thanks. And oh man, I can only hope they ask to visually inspect them. The S&W will be uneventful, but even racking the little slide on my PF9 will probably be good few grins.
Nothing like an 870 though haha.

Hope it doesn't get "lost" TSA has a bunch of thief's on their payroll. Good luck to you.

I've made it about as hard as I possibly can. The rest is in the overlords of the TSA's hands now.

Citizen 14
08-20-2011, 1:10 AM
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

wildhawker
08-20-2011, 1:58 AM
Thanks. And oh man, I can only hope they ask to visually inspect them. The S&W will be uneventful, but even racking the little slide on my PF9 will probably be good few grins.
Nothing like an 870 though haha.

I heart when they ask me to do visuals at the counter, especially airports like OAK. "Here's my case of 6 handguns, and here's my case of ARs - which do you want me to check and show clear first?" <gasps in the line behind me>.

Ticket counter rep: "My husband's an Oakland PD cop, and he would arrest you for having that."

Me: "I should be so lucky."

-Brandon

oni.dori
08-20-2011, 2:08 AM
I heart when they ask me to do visuals at the counter, especially airports like OAK. "Here's my case of 6 handguns, and here's my case of ARs - which do you want me to check and show clear first?" <gasps in the line behind me>.

Ticket counter rep: "My husband's an Oakland PD cop, and he would arrest you for having that."

-Brandon

Did this really happen?

On a related note, I was under the impression that TSA locks were MANDITORY if you were going to lock a container and fly with it.

wildhawker
08-20-2011, 2:26 AM
Did this really happen?

On a related note, I was under the impression that TSA locks were MANDITORY if you were going to lock a container and fly with it.

Yes, it did.

You are not supposed to use TSA locks on gun cases. However, you may use TSA locks on luggage containing a separate, locked gun case.

Anchors
08-20-2011, 3:01 AM

-Brandon

Great response haha.
I would have said, "that would be a very eventful day in court for the Oakland Police Department".

Or you could have called her bluff and said, "well, you do have airport police..."
But that is risky.

69Mach1
08-20-2011, 3:03 AM

-Brandon

LOL :D

Anchors
08-20-2011, 4:06 AM
FLIGHT DELAYED :mad:

So my flight is delayed an hour and a half because the crew needs their mandatory rest period according to the website.
My flight is expected to arrive at 6:10pm, which is cool...except my connecting flight (same airline) is on time and expected to depart at 6:00pm.

Awesome. I haven't flown in a few years, so I don't remember if that means I'm screwed or they'll take care of it.
Also, in my experience, bags get "misplaced" more with delayed flights...
Hey, at least I'm in first class :thumbsup:

Kharn
08-20-2011, 4:36 AM
When I was first class and was in a similar situation they held my connecting flight.

lgm118icbm
08-20-2011, 5:42 AM
Flying with a firearm is usually a painless process. Unfortunately every time I have taken a gun with me, my bag has been temporarily lost or delayed.

Maestro Pistolero
08-20-2011, 5:54 AM

FUD. I've been traveling with firearms for 25 years, literally hundreds of times. Not saying it can't happen, but it's not likely.

SanPedroShooter
08-20-2011, 6:00 AM

vice versa

Ha ha, I have had to demonstrate my AK was unloaded at the counter, I tried to pull the handle to expose the chamber as quietly as possible while trying to screen the case from the line behind me... I dont think the lady had any idea what she was even looking at, she just took my word for it...

Or the people that walk up to the counter and say, "I HAVE A GUN..."

quick draw mcgraw
08-20-2011, 6:52 AM

-Brandon

That would have been an epic youtube clip!!

Tango-Alpha
08-20-2011, 7:02 AM
I've been asked to step behind the counter to give the inspection out of view from others. Also one time I went to the back room behind the ticket counter for the visual inspection. Completely uneventful.

Diesel-Gunner
08-20-2011, 7:03 AM
I usually duct tape the locks and run around the case and lock just to secure 1 step further. Every time I have flown with my guns the task was uneventful.

Window_Seat
08-20-2011, 7:15 AM
I was in the airport on crutches (as if I haven't been for the past 8 years, but...), and just had surgery around a month prior, and I was being assisted by Southwest Airlines assistance personnel (they are very helpful) from the front door of the airport terminal to the gate.

While sitting at the ticket counter, the guy walked up and said "Anything you need me to do before getting your bags checked?" I said "Yeah, I have firearms to declare, so I need to go up and physically be there and do that"...

So he yells to another guy across the terminal, points finger at me and says "OH, HE HAS GUNS!!!" gasps coming from all directions, people sitting suddenly standing up like bowling pins and then you could hear a pin drop... Me - :rofl::rofl2::smilielol5: inside the terminal the whole way to the plane... It's Southwest Airlines, so you gotta expect the unexpected...

Erik.

sighere
08-20-2011, 7:49 AM
I've never had problems flying with guns. No TSA lock is the way to go. The nice thing is they held my rifle case behind the counter rather than putting it on the carousel where we all know there is nobody checking to see if your bags are really your bags. I'd rather take the few extra minutes to go to the counter and ask about my case than see it rolling around for anyone to pick up! The x-ray guys are pretty bored with hunting rifles so they put them through quickly.

One time I came up on the X-ray the same time as a guy who shoots AR's competitively. He says they always take extra time gawking at his cool stuff, so it takes him a little longer to get the thumbs up.

Artsville
08-20-2011, 7:52 AM

vice versa

shoot i just opened the case at delta san jose and the ladies behind the counter moved over. LOL

Untamed1972
08-20-2011, 8:25 AM
SKB case locked with combo NON-TSA locks.
Then I used a cable lock to secure it to the frame of the soft case (to prevent sticky fingers...).

Do I need to use a TSA lock on the outside case? Or can I leave it unlocked? (To me, TSA locks scream "hey, come check out what I've got in here").

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ntinsy.jpg

My original thread was here.
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=6733493

That is exactly how I do it....case cable locked to frame even. Done it several times in the last year and haven't had a problem. I would put the TSA locks on your main suitcase. Better safe tan sorry.

proclone1
08-20-2011, 8:37 AM
Hrrrmmm heh cr*p. Well im waiting for my connecting flight in SLC right now, flying delta both legs out of Orange County.

I went to the counter, told the lady I'd like to declare an unloaded firearm, she said "oh ok" like it was no big deal and had me show her the locked hard case (nanovault 200; im not travelling w/ ammo). I asked if she wanted me to open it, she said "no that's ok" and then gave me my baggage claim tickets and boarding passes and sent me on my way, i even asked if "we're done here" to be sure and she told me i was good to go.. but she didnt have me fill out any card or any information, and there was no "orange card" to be seen!

Now im going to worry about my bag until i land at destination and pickup at baggage carousel >: (

I have TSA locks on my bag for what it's worth :(

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Anchors
08-20-2011, 8:49 AM
Flight delayed two more hours. Destination changed to a different somewhat near airport. Downgraded from first class...
BUT
The desk lady though I was an Air Marshal or something and gave me the onboard carry for :eek: haha
And when she found out I wasn't she got visably nervous and reluctantly made me rack the slide.
And the TSA agent watching the machine didn't hear me tell the other agents about them, so he got to it and his face lit up and he said, "firearms??" with the confused straining face and tone Ice Cube has in the Friday movies (he looked and sounded like him).

All in all, totally worth it.

DocSkinner
08-20-2011, 8:49 AM
You can put TSA locks on your OUTSIDE bag - The gun case itself should be non-TSA.
When I fly OAK last, you went to a separate little baggage drop and security asked to see if it was unloaded. Flying other cities especially in gun friendly states, I was usually just asked by the desk person if it was unloaded, and then they just gave me the tag. Odd exception: Boston of all places - they did the same. I asked if they need to check and they said no - they didn't want the case opened at all.

I usually just leave the bolt out of my bolt action (but in the case), and take the slide off the autos. Makes it pretty clear to security and they never ask to have me show anything further.

DocSkinner
08-20-2011, 8:51 AM
Flight delayed two more hours. Destination changed to a different somewhat near airport. Downgraded from first class...
BUT
The desk lady though I was an Air Marshal or something and gave me the onboard carry for :eek: haha
And when she found out I wasn't she got visably nervous and reluctantly made me rack the slide.
And the TSA agent watching the machine didn't hear me tell the other agents about them, so he got to it and his face lit up and he said, "firearms??" with the confused straining face and tone Ice Cube has in the Friday movies (he looked and sounded like him).

All in all, totally worth it.

What we have here is a failure to communicate!

You would think TSA people would coordinate this with all the desk people. Guess I expect too much out of people with guvament jobs...

Anchors
08-20-2011, 8:54 AM
You need the card man. Dont take no for an answer.
Also, after the guy saw it on the screener, it disappeared and I asked if I needed to open it and they replied "well, it's gone now anyway" and didn't care lol.
Also, one TSA guy asked what I had just for curiosity (no, he wasn't asking so he could steal them :TFH: haha)

proclone1
08-20-2011, 8:59 AM
You need the card man. Dont take no for an answer.
Also, after the guy saw it on the screener, it disappeared and I asked if I needed to open it and they replied "well, it's gone now anyway" and didn't care lol.
Also, one TSA guy asked what I had just for curiosity (no, he wasn't asking so he could steal them :TFH: haha)

And i thought i looked thoroughly at procedures before today to make sure everything went smoothly :(
Never even occured to me that the orange card wasnt being issued >:( lesson definitely learned, will make sure to demand the card on return flight if i still have a pistol.

Anchors
08-20-2011, 9:05 AM
Actually I just looked at my print out regs. The declaration can be oral or in writing, whichever the airline chooses. Your line's regs might not require one. Check online.

DocSkinner
08-20-2011, 9:38 AM
Actually I just looked at my print out regs. The declaration can be oral or in writing, whichever the airline chooses. Your line's regs might not require one. Check online.

Airline or TSA regs?

I would say get something in writing like the orange card so you don't get some Ahole looking for browny points somewhere along the path that wants to say you didn't declare it. If it happens you want to be able to prove that you lawfully declared it.

CYOA.

sandman21
08-20-2011, 10:18 AM

-Brandon

I was checking into a flight and a gentlemen was in a hurry and cut in front of everyone in line, the check-in was not working for him since he arrived 20 mins before his flights departure. So he was barking at the check-in attendant about needing help, she let him know he missed his flight and would help when she could. As she is helping me, the guy is hovering around me to get her to help him get a new flight, I let her know I need to declare, she contacts TSA, then has me open the case. At this point I am undoing the locks, the guy is barking at the attendant, I flip open the case, the guy looks at it stops talking to the attendant and walks 10' away. :D

That made the early flight worth it. :D

Funtimes
08-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Last trip to vegas we had a case with 3 rifles and like 4 handguns. The lady was all apprehensive about it. There was this group of Japanese tourists (about 14 of them) making noise, smiling and pointing. The lady piped up, "See you even scare them." With a confused look, I turned to the lady, "You think they are scared? They think its awesome!" as I turned to the tourists with a big double thumbs up... they all cheered lol. It was pretty funny. Those poor guys never get to see or handle guns, but the tourists ranges here in Hawaii turn them out all day long.

SanPedroShooter
08-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Last trip to vegas we had a case with 3 rifles and like 4 handguns. The lady was all apprehensive about it. There was this group of Japanese tourists (about 14 of them) making noise, smiling and pointing. The lady piped up, "See you even scare them." With a confused look, I turned to the lady, "You think they are scared? They think its awesome!" as I turned to the tourists with a big double thumbs up... they all cheered lol. It was pretty funny. Those poor guys never get to see or handle guns, but the tourists ranges here in Hawaii turn them out all day long.

Those tourist ranges in Hawaii are crazy, I saw one where you can buy a t-shirt with a target on it, shoot it and then wear it when you're done... Japanesse people love that ****, I feel sorry for them... Having to leave their own country just to rent a gun. Of course I have to leave CA to take off my mag-lock (if I want to keep my evil features anyway)...

Hawaii is the only place I've flown without a gun since I bought my first privately owned rifle...

SwissFluCase
08-20-2011, 11:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGjddG5Owsc&feature=related

Regards,

SwissFluCase

morrcarr67
08-20-2011, 12:03 PM
I was checking into a flight and a gentlemen was in a hurry and cut in front of everyone in line, the check-in was not working for him since he arrived 20 mins before his flights departure. So he was barking at the check-in attendant about needing help, she let him know he missed his flight and would help when she could. As she is helping me, the guy is hovering around me to get her to help him get a new flight, I let her know I need to declare, she contacts TSA, then has me open the case. At this point I am undoing the locks, the guy is barking at the attendant, I flip open the case, the guy looks at it stops talking to the attendant and walks 10' away. :D

That made the early flight worth it. :D

I would love to see the security video of this. I bet the look on his face was priceless :eek:

morrcarr67
08-20-2011, 12:05 PM

The two best businesses to have in HI are Gun Ranges and Golf Courses. Then let all the Japanese tourist know about them and you're set. :43:

Funtimes
08-20-2011, 7:33 PM
The two best businesses to have in HI are Gun Ranges and Golf Courses. Then let all the Japanese tourist know about them and you're set. :43:

Hrm.... golfball skeet.... Your buddy hits the ball you try to shoot it down so he can't beat you.

I'm going to be a billionaire!

luckystrike
08-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Ryan that is an awesome idea cable locking it to the frame of the case!

nagorb
08-21-2011, 2:01 AM
Hrm.... golfball skeet.... Your buddy hits the ball you try to shoot it down so he can't beat you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1992213&num=0

HST: "I'm working on a profoundly goofy story here. It's wonderful. I've invented a new sport. It's called Shotgun Golf. We will rule the world with this thing."

DocSkinner
08-21-2011, 8:08 AM

In all fairness, you shoot let the other guy use this:

http://www.bloomautomatic.com/

Agent Orange
08-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Ryan that is an awesome idea cable locking it to the frame of the case!

While I also do this I still fail to completely fathom the logic behind it.

jello2594
08-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Since the soft outer bag has no secure lock on it, the baggage handler can easily just take out the locked hard case with the firearm in it and take it home. It has no luggage tag on it so it won't be missed until the end of the trip when the OP gets to his destination and feels his now-lighter bag.

I actually think that this method isn't the proper way to travel. I think a larger hard-sided case should be used, and the firearm put into a soft Gun Rug within that case, along with all the other luggage. That way, the OP can put a heavy-duty lock on the entire case, and it can never be opened without him there.

While I also do this I still fail to completely fathom the logic behind it.

Agent Orange
08-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Or the entire bag can be taken and the OP won't know until it doesn't show up at his destination. How's that different?

ldsnet
08-21-2011, 12:39 PM

Try hitting said golfball with a .22. Adds a whole new dimension to the "sport"

Maestro Pistolero
08-21-2011, 1:25 PM
Since the soft outer bag has no secure lock on it, the baggage handler can easily just take out the locked hard case with the firearm in it and take it home. It has no luggage tag on it so it won't be missed until the end of the trip when the OP gets to his destination and feels his now-lighter bag.
Easily? I don't think so. If this were happening with any frequency we'd be hearing about it. With the level of alert around air travel, if guns began going missing, it would be national news, and heads would roll fast.

I actually think that this method isn't the proper way to travel. I think a larger hard-sided case should be used, and the firearm put into a soft Gun Rug within that case, along with all the other luggage. That way, the OP can put a heavy-duty lock on the entire case, and it can never be opened without him there.It perfectly proper, and the way I have done it trouble free for 20+ years. Literally hundreds of flights. The risk associated with air travel with checked firearms is extremely low.

Of course, anything can happen, So I travel with my Glocks or XD rather than my expensive 1911s. I'm confident, but not crazy.

tyrist
08-21-2011, 2:54 PM

Well they apparently do hire convicted felons to work for them.

jello2594
08-21-2011, 4:26 PM
I believe it's much more rare for an entire bag to go missing than an item or two from within to disappear. Having a locked case inside an unlocked suitcase doesn't make it that much safer. It's like the difference between having a small safe in your home with your firearm inside versus having a large safe bolted to the floor. One of these will be much easier to take.

There have been stories of gun theft from checked luggage, and no heads have rolled, Pistolero. The TSA simply probably does not keep a database of lost or stolen guns from commercial aircraft.

DocSkinner
08-21-2011, 8:11 PM

I actually think that this method isn't the proper way to travel. I think a larger hard-sided case should be used, and the firearm put into a soft Gun Rug within that case, along with all the other luggage. That way, the OP can put a heavy-duty lock on the entire case, and it can never be opened without him there.

Any bag can be opened without the person being present. And any outer bag that isn't clearly a gun case can be open LEGALLY by TSA.

There is no sticker on the outside that says "GUN INSIDE!" that would cause the TSA to think that there is any reason they shouldn't pop any lock.

pieeater
08-21-2011, 8:33 PM
This is a strange story. So she thought they were illegal but checked them in anyways? Why didnt she call airport police or TSA? So if I had a bomb in my guncase would she just check that in and say I was lucky it wasnt found on a traffic stop by her hubby? This chick needs to be stopped asap!

-Brandon

Sgt Raven
08-21-2011, 9:24 PM
Any bag can be opened without the person being present. And any outer bag that isn't clearly a gun case can be open LEGALLY by TSA.

There is no sticker on the outside that says "GUN INSIDE!" that would cause the TSA to think that there is any reason they shouldn't pop any lock.

It depends on the airport. The last time I flew out of TPA the locked rifle case went with me to a special TSA check point. There they Xrayed it while I was there and could unlock it for them. After it cleared their machine they put a 'TSA checked tape' around the outside of the case. So there wouldn't be a reason for another TSA check point to open it. The flight to TPA the case was empty and it had the same type of tape on it. If it was opened after they put the tape on it, the tape seal would be broken. ;)

Mesa Tactical
08-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Or the people that walk up to the counter and say, "I HAVE A GUN..."

That would be me.

After all, it's not something I'm ashamed of.

Untamed1972
08-22-2011, 12:19 PM

That's what the cable lock is for. It secures the smaller guncase to the inside of your main luggage, so even if TSA opens your bag....they can't seperate your guncase from the larger suitcase. At that point, if someone wants the gun they're gonna hafta cut the locks off the case, cut the cable, or take the whole suitcase.