PDA

View Full Version : SBR Q.

gratefuldog
08-19-2011, 10:12 PM
For purposes of identifying a CA "short barrelled rifle," how is the barrel measured? From which end of the chamber?

wildhawker
08-19-2011, 10:24 PM
See below.

(2) As used in this section, a "short-barreled rifle" means any of
the following:
(A) A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in
length.
(B) A rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches.
(C) Any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration,
modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an
overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less
than 16 inches in length.
(D) Any device which may be readily restored to fire a fixed
cartridge which, when so restored, is a device defined in
subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive.
(E) Any part, or combination of parts, designed and intended to
convert a device into a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C),
inclusive, or any combination of parts from which a device defined in
subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive, may be readily assembled if
those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same
person.

gratefuldog
08-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Understood. But is barrel length measured from the forward end of the chamber, or from the primer end of the camber?

bwiese
08-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Understood. But is barrel length measured from the forward end of the chamber, or from the primer end of the camber?

We don't know.

ATF standard is legnth of rod from bolt face to end of actual barrel (or any permanent attachment.

However, there is no equivalent standard for CA law - and with Rooney decision in CA about overall length ending up different than the Fed standard (regarding stock being measured open vs folded) one should exercise caution that the "whole barrel" is indeed actually 16" long.

Remember that on an AR15 barrel the (rear) 'barrel extension' -which has the lugs that interface with the lugs on the bolt - is not permanently attached to the barrel proper and can be wrenched off. Do NOT include the length of an AR rear barrel extension as part of the barrel length measurement; the barrel proper ends somewhere earlier within that extension.

Anchors
08-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Basically, if something is permanently attached to the barrel (chamber or muzzle attachment) then it counts for length, but if it is removable then it does not.

I thought that was the way it worked both federally and California-wide.

gratefuldog
08-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks, guys... @ least I don't feel like I asked a stupid question.

Ron-Solo
08-20-2011, 12:46 AM
"ATF standard is legnth of rod from bolt face to end of actual barrel (or any permanent attachment"

This is what I always used when I worked the field. When I worked a certain area where there were frequent gun related contacts I carried a 20" wooden dowel with marks at 16" and 18". Close the action and run the dowel down the barrel til it stopped. Always worked for me.

Anchors
08-20-2011, 4:43 AM
"ATF standard is legnth of rod from bolt face to end of actual barrel (or any permanent attachment"

This is what I always used when I worked the field. When I worked a certain area where there were frequent gun related contacts I carried a 20" wooden dowel with marks at 16" and 18". Close the action and run the dowel down the barrel til it stopped. Always worked for me.

That seems like a simple, realistic way for anyone to test it (if they're cutting up their barrel or something).