PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to crimp cannelure bullets for .308?

runway1
08-19-2011, 8:19 PM
Looking at buying some .308 bullets with a cannelure. Do these require a crimp die or can they just be seated?

Application is for targets only; bolt action rifle in the 200-800yd range.

Bill Steele
08-19-2011, 8:29 PM
Seating only is fine.

runway1
08-19-2011, 9:43 PM
In ABCs of Reloading - it's really not addressed well. Thanks!

horsemac
08-19-2011, 11:26 PM
What gun are you loading for?

If your loading for a gun that holds five or more in the magazine a slight crimp can help the cartridge hold the bullet through the magazine cycle.
I use a slight crimp on my loads with a cannelure with great results on paper and the case shows no loss of reloading life.

Just start with a very slight almost unnoticeable crimp just to keep the OAL unchanged through the last round in the magazine.

Only if you need it.

runway1
08-20-2011, 6:51 AM
What gun are you loading for?

Just start with a very slight almost unnoticeable crimp just to keep the OAL unchanged through the last round in the magazine.

Only if you need it.

It's a Remington 700P.

How would you do this? Is there a dedicated crimping die for .308Win?

CSACANNONEER
08-20-2011, 6:59 AM
For a any gun that will be fed a single round straight into the chamber, no crimp is needed. If rounds are going to be kept in a magazine attached to the gun, there is a chance that recoil could end up seating a bullet deeper. That is why people crimp.

Most dies will crimp the brass if the seater die is adjusted properly. But, there are crimp dies available for almost all cartridges. Many people favor the less expensive LEE factory crimp dies over all other crimp dies. So, that's a good place to start.

AvyDriver
08-20-2011, 7:09 AM
Rule of thumb is what was mentioned above. Bolt actions basically don't need crimp while semi autos magazine fed do. However every firearm is different and crimping does more than just hold the bullet from being set back. I know most of the 6.8 AR guys (including myself) don't crimp for that rifle without problems. Crimping can add more pressure which can in turn cause positive or negative result to accuracy such as fps or too much pressure on a tight chamber or hot round. If you load your rounds out long there is a slight chance you could leave the bullet in the throat if your extracting a full round (like a bullet puller) because it's seated into the lands. Many loaders will do this to increase accuracy (not true in all guns) because there is less jump in the throat. Alot more to consider huh? For your bolt rifle it is not necessary to crimp the cannelures. It's not even necessary to seat the bullet to the cannelures. Remember not only powder grains affect accuracy nut bullet seating depth does too. Sometimes physical aspects of the firearm effect what you can load to but otherwise just don't seat to deep and your probably fine.

And yes the lee FCD is also the go to crimp die.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popeye4
08-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Match bullets won't have a cannelure, so you won't want to crimp them. If you are mainly target shooting, I'd recommend using match bullets, they are (supposedly) more consistent. I think crimping is a bit overrated, I don't crimp for my M14 and have never had a problem in rapid fire. But I've made sure my dies size the neck appropriately to get a firm hold on the bullet (I use the Redding Type S bushing dies).

If you are shooting a heavy round in a hunting rifle, then a crimp is probably appropriate.

Hoop
08-20-2011, 12:25 PM
You don't need to crimp anything if you don't want to. Also if these bullets are bulk FMJ's I'd consider bulk match bullets (nosler, hornady) instead, I think nosler custom comps are still 200$ per 1k for instance.

runway1
08-20-2011, 5:16 PM
Good info, thanks all! That gives me a much better idea.

jimmykan
08-20-2011, 5:51 PM
What is the bullet style you're loading?

Most bullets designed for precision shooting do not have cannelures.

The only bullets that I can think of that do have them and are designed for extended ranges are the military 5.56 caliber 75-77 grain boat tail hollow point bullets.

And those only have cannelures because the military forced Hornady and Sierra to add them to the bullet.

runway1
08-20-2011, 7:36 PM
What is the bullet style you're loading?

Most bullets designed for precision shooting do not have cannelures.

The only bullets that I can think of that do have them and are designed for extended ranges are the military 5.56 caliber 75-77 grain boat tail hollow point bullets.

And those only have cannelures because the military forced Hornady and Sierra to add them to the bullet.

Thanks for the info. I'm loading for target accuracy only, up to 800yds for now.
So I should be looking for boat tail, metal jacket, no cannelure and ...soft point? Hollow point?

popeye4
08-20-2011, 8:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm loading for target accuracy only, up to 800yds for now.
So I should be looking for boat tail, metal jacket, no cannelure and ...soft point? Hollow point?

Perhaps start with Sierra Match Kings and experiment from there. They aren't the only game in town, but they are the standard by which all others are measured. BTW, the 168 gr. SMK won't make it to 1000 yds (it goes subsonic just past 900 yds), but the 155 and 175 will.

jimmykan
08-20-2011, 8:23 PM
Sierra Matchkings, Nosler Custom Competitions, Berger Match, and Lapua Scenars all have their following.

They are all hollow point boat tail bullets.

CSACANNONEER
08-20-2011, 9:05 PM
One more thing, just because the bullet has a cannelure doesn't mean you should automatically seat them to that depth.

Bill Steele
08-20-2011, 9:18 PM

You can learn a lot about loads and accurate shooting on a few sites. Snipershide.com is a good place to hang out and read. Another good starting point is Accurateshooter.com.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

Hoop
08-20-2011, 9:25 PM

178 hornady amax
178 hornady bthp
175 sierra match king
175 nosler custom comp
190 nosler custom comp (can be had in bulk packs for 23cents each)

will be the easiest to find

IIRC 168 BTHP like the sierra and nosler were designed for 300-600 yard competitions so if that's what you plan on doing great but otherwise they may just be a waste of your $$$$ (168 match bullets are about the same as 175+ weight match ones in price)