PDA

View Full Version : Selling pistol not on approved list

JALLEN
08-19-2011, 1:29 PM
I have a pistol that is not on the DOJ approved list. I bought it through an FFL, from a police officer who had purchased it originally.

I plan to move out of state and wish to sell this CA legal pistol before I go.

A potential buyer told me that the only way this gun can be transferred is both buyer and seller at the same FFL at the same time. I can't ship it to an FFL to complete the required process to legally sell it to him.

The statutes appear to say it must be done by a private party transaction, through an FFL, which is the usual and normal way.

Can I ship this gun to an FFL to transfer a purchaser, or must purchaser and seller meet at the FFL in person or some such protocol?

TIA

oldsmoboat
08-19-2011, 1:38 PM
I tried this before. I was told the same thing you were. FTF at the FFL.

infernl
08-19-2011, 1:39 PM
Same here, face to face through an FFL.

tabrisnet
08-19-2011, 1:43 PM
It can also be sold on consignment. I picked up a Taurus PT-100 from an FFL in 2010 for my first gun. The PT-100 never was on the Roster.

I'm unclear on what happens if you're no longer a CA resident and you have guns on consignment.

bwiese
08-19-2011, 3:32 PM
Non-Rostered handguns must generally be sold in CA via PPT or consignment sale.

Plan B is to sell it as a dimensionally-compliant Roster-exempt single-shot pistol if necessary but that may be more griel than it's worth

moleculo
08-19-2011, 7:08 PM
What are you selling? :)

HowardW56
08-19-2011, 7:20 PM

WOW, it took over 5 hours for someone to ask this question....

People, we are slipping here..........................................

JALLEN
08-20-2011, 1:23 PM

HK45C, bought from a San Diego LEO about a year ago, with all the trimmings. I bought it unfired and put less than 50 rounds through it. I would not sell it but am retiring and moving to a free state where I can easily buy another. This one is CA legal, rather rare, so I hate to take it out of state.

Details http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/4890040162

OleCuss
08-20-2011, 1:30 PM
Beautiful firearm! If I had the money around I'd be on that.

wildhawker
08-20-2011, 1:51 PM
It can also be sold and shipped to a nearby dealer who does single-shot conversions, for a fee, and then transferred to the purchaser in that condition.

-Brandon

JALLEN
08-20-2011, 1:51 PM
Beautiful firearm! If I had the money around I'd be on that.

I'm in not a real hurry. We just put our house on the market, and will be closing our businesses probably by year end. I've been looking at real estate in Texas, where I am from, and we will move sometime after the house sells.

As I say, I would not sell this gun except I hate taking such a gun out of California where these are so hard to find. If this one sells, I'll buy one to replace it when I get to Texas. If not, y'all will have lost a chance to own one, and they are GREAT pistols. It took me two years to find this one, thanks to some LEO friends who gave this seller my info when he needed some cash quick.