View Full Version : Learners Permit enough for proof of residence

08-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Hey guys, I want to buy a shotgun tomorrow, but I still have my old address on my DL. I have a DMV printout of my Motorcycle learners permit that doesnt expire until 11/11. Ive also got a temporary ID that was printed out for me but that expired in august. They wont issue me a new DL because I still have to take my MC test and they said that they'll wait until then so I can have the MC license on there as well. My question is, can I start Dros with my Valid DL and learners permit as proof of residence?

08-19-2011, 12:51 AM
You can go to a DMV and ask for a change of address card. You write your current address on it, and they stamp it with a date. I've done a ppt using the change of address card with no problems.

08-19-2011, 12:54 AM
ok, Im gonna meet the guy tomorrow well, today @10am for a PPT. Thats why I was wondering. I dont want to be "That guy" you know, the flake.

08-19-2011, 1:19 AM
I say call the FFL and ask them what are valid forms of ID. I know there is a list of 8 things that DOJ/FFL's will accept. I would say call in the morning and make plans after that.

08-19-2011, 1:23 AM
calif Id card is the only proof of residence needed to buy a firearm. This better asked in the FFL forum. Tell the ffl the addy on the documents. I had to take my son in law to a different store to buy a gun because he was too truthfull. This becoming a joke.

08-19-2011, 1:29 AM
here's a website I found. From what this says, a car registration is all that is needed. I have that too. I am also bringing a utility bill

08-19-2011, 6:20 AM
i had to produce two forms of valid ID and proof of residency...(at least two bills with your name and address on them)

08-19-2011, 7:27 AM
You should get a separate CA ID from the DMV.

08-19-2011, 8:42 PM
some ffls are different, i would call them

08-19-2011, 9:28 PM
+ another one for calling them.

Some FFLs are "stubborn" about what they accept/do not accept. Better to call them first and get what they need versus making unnecessary trips + time & headache. :) Just remember to come back and give us some pictures!!!

08-21-2011, 8:33 AM
You can go to a DMV and ask for a change of address card. You write your current address on it, and they stamp it with a date. I've done a ppt using the change of address card with no problems.

What the OP is asking about is the federal requirement that his ID address match his 4473 address. Since they do not match, then he needs to have a government issued document showing the address on his 4473.

Most BATFE agents in the state of California have stated that the handwritten DMV change of address card (brown card) is not a valid government issued document. My agent and her boss have stated they will not accept it. It isn't an issue I want to fight with them about. Other dealers might still be accepting the brown card, but come audit time, they might be told differently.

So the OPs DMV printout is perfectly acceptable. It is a government issued document. If it didn't have an expiration date, then it would be good forever. The federal requirement of a government issued document makes no mention of expiration dates or periods of validity, but I don't think I would accept an expired document.

The state requirement for secondary proof of residency for handguns requires a current document with an expiration date or period of validity.

You can read more about all of this here.


08-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. Turners in Pasadena was awesome. I used my DMV car registration and I had no problems. Thanks again