PDA

View Full Version : Looking at purchasing an Eotech. Tips please!

bUm805
08-18-2011, 10:17 PM
I have my sights set on the Eotech 553.

Cons about it? Would you recommend a different Eotech or perhaps a different brand? If so, I am looking at the T-1 Micro Aimpoint.

I don't want to succumb to my usual "Arg, I can't decide so i'll just buy both" and end up with yet another item collecting dust in a footlocker.

MrPlink
08-19-2011, 2:03 AM
been discussed a million times here already.

Biggest plus to the EoTech (this is all opinion) is the reticle.
The 65moa ring makes it especially easy to pick up the center dot. Not to mention, its approx the size of a man head to toe at 100yds, so you can use it for impromptu range finding.

The 1 moa dot arguably gives you a little more precision (vs a 2 or 4 moa dot common on aimpoints and others) but it is negligible being that these arent meant to be precision optics, they are meant for rapid CQB use. Given those circumstances, it really wont matter.

I prefer the sight picture the eotech provides over aimpoints, seems a bit more "open"
but if you are using these things the "correct way" with both eyes open, it wont really matter.

Biggest plus of aimpoint hands down is the battery life. Set it and forget it!
For all practical intents the Eotech still has a very good battery life, but not having to worry about batteries for years at a time is an awesome feeling.

Best part of the micro, is the weight. As people like to get all tacticool with rails and their associated gizmos, rifle weight can sky rocket. The aimpoint micro is the lightest professional grade reflex optic arround, not to mention it takes up very little space, which makes it very practical.

You cant go wrong with either.

Onlyincali
08-20-2011, 8:59 AM
Thank you for the reply to this thread. Although I'm not the op I did get a lot out of your reply/time

SuperSet
08-20-2011, 9:12 AM
Among the EOTechs, I'd choose the EXPS models since they have the transverse battery compartment for added reliability and integral 7mm riser for lower 1/3 cowitness. For the reticule choice, I'd go with the simple reticule vs one of their BDC reticules.

socal-shooter
08-20-2011, 9:18 AM
4 moa dot on the aimpoint micro will cover up any target at 100 yards, just fyi