PDA

View Full Version : M1A Sights

jcaoloveshine
08-18-2011, 6:36 PM
My M1A rear sight is a bit loose (just the aperture, moves a bit left to right). It's the Loaded NM sight. Which smith in Socal/ OC Irvine could help me tighten it up?

tygerpaw
08-18-2011, 7:37 PM
How much does it move? I just checked mine and it moves maybe 1/32 back and forth. If its really loose, the aperature maybe out of spec. You should call Springfield Armory before you spend money on a smith (who probably won't be able to do anything with it anyway).

kendog4570
08-18-2011, 8:05 PM
My M1A rear sight is a bit loose (just the aperture, moves a bit left to right). It's the Loaded NM sight. Which smith in Socal/ OC Irvine could help me tighten it up?

I rework them all the time for service rifle competitors. If you dont find anyone local, you can ship it to me for tightening.
The latest stuff from Springfield Inc is spotty for dimensional integrity, no matter what label they stick on it. The Smith Enterprise NM sight is hands down the best one available. A little more money than the rest, but well worth the premium. I have fit a bunch of sights over the years from USGI, real USGI NM, and who-knows-from-where aftermarket "NM", home brewed match, and many others in between. The Smith is the best fitting unit by far, comparable to original Springfield Armory 1/2 minute match sights from the 60's.
Let me know if I can help.
Ken

kendog4570
08-18-2011, 8:11 PM
How much does it move? I just checked mine and it moves maybe 1/32 back and forth. If its really loose, the aperature maybe out of spec. You should call Springfield Armory before you spend money on a smith (who probably won't be able to do anything with it anyway).

1/32" is .03125". Close to 4 minutes of angle with the M14 sight radius.