PDA

View Full Version : LTC: County Residency(College Student)

ottomatic
08-18-2011, 3:01 PM
Before I begin let me state that I am not trying to circumvent the residency requirement, even though I once considered it.
not worth it IMO. Just trying to figure out which county to apply to.

What is the residency (county) of a college student:

They are only in said county to attend the college.
No intent on remaining in county of school when complete.
Considered a resident of home county DMV, Voter reg,... etc, wise.
Does not live in home county due to going to college, except a few times a year.

Thus which county is considered to be their residence LTC wise?

The LTC contact in the county of the school says its purely based off of the address on the DL. She couldn't say if I was a resident of either county since I am here as a student.

Its really not that simple for me but that is the meat of the question.

Gray Peterson
08-18-2011, 4:54 PM
what's the downside to changing your registrations?

Kharn
08-18-2011, 5:14 PM
He may fall off his parents car insurance, medical insurance, etc.

wildhawker
08-18-2011, 5:22 PM
PM me your info, I'd like some additional info on this one OP.

patsline74
08-18-2011, 5:25 PM

If there are others in the same position, would you like any other PM's?

ETA:That PM box of yours must fill up quickly.

ottomatic
08-18-2011, 7:26 PM
what's the downside to changing your registrations?

mainly money or money/time but those are not the only reasons.

PM on the way.

Ergo the Qualmed
08-18-2011, 8:01 PM
I have the exact same issue. Though when picking between Yolo and LA county...ehhh...

SilentPea
08-19-2011, 1:14 PM
Not yet an issue for me, but in about 6 months, I'll be split between Santa Barbara (politics issuance-as far as I can tell) and Sacramento County (essentially shall issue).

It's my last year in SB as a student though, so kinda moot point. Just curiousity at this point... My DL/Voter registration in SB county, though permanent address is still in Sacramento( aren't college residence questions fun?)

ottomatic
08-20-2011, 2:45 PM
it still remains a question of what county can I apply to... or anyone else in a similar situation.

PCPerks
08-20-2011, 3:25 PM
I have a similar issue and I'm waiting until my situation changes. But thats almost a year away. Here is my situation.

My DL and vehicle registration, etc are at what I consider my "home" in Kern county (pretty much shall issue).

But I'm in the military and stationed in San Diego (don't hold your breath issue).

Can I legally apply for a LTC in Kern county even though I spend the majority of time in San Diego?

brassburnz
08-20-2011, 3:33 PM
What's a LTC?

ottomatic
08-20-2011, 3:36 PM
What's a LTC?

License To Carry. Take a look here:Nomenclature (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=463664&highlight=LTC) :)

Gray Peterson
08-20-2011, 3:43 PM
I have a similar issue and I'm waiting until my situation changes. But thats almost a year away. Here is my situation.

My DL and vehicle registration, etc are at what I consider my "home" in Kern county (pretty much shall issue).

But I'm in the military and stationed in San Diego (don't hold your breath issue).

Can I legally apply for a LTC in Kern county even though I spend the majority of time in San Diego?

You're there under military orders. You're a resident of Kern. Apply.

ottomatic
08-20-2011, 3:50 PM
You're there under military orders. You're a resident of *(insert county here)*. Apply.

Wish that was still applicable to me too. Once I was discharged I started college here, signed up 15 days prior to getting out.

edlegault
08-20-2011, 11:22 PM
A college student for voting purposes and the Census Bureau is considered to be a resident where he/she attends college.

QQQ
08-20-2011, 11:24 PM
A college student for voting purposes and the Census Bureau is considered to be a resident where he/she attends college.

I voted as a Californian when I was attending college in DC. They mailed my absentee ballot there and everything.