PDA

View Full Version : DPMS SASS .308 barrel questions

Falstaff
08-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Why does the SASS barrel require a special mini $100 gas block? If I'm using the standard DPMS A3 upper, won't a normal .750 gas block suffice? (as opposed to the older DPMS receiver with rounded sides, no ejection port cover and the lower rail height)

lwbyo1
08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
It has nothing to do with the height of the rails on the uppers. The hole in the upper where the gas tube goes in is in the same location on all of them. The gas block needs to be .936" diameter, not .750". If I remember correctly, it needs that particular block so the gas tube will clear the barrel and align with the hole in the upper.

DPMS has a new micro block that will work with the SASS Barrel and it's only $20. http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=6021&cat=1775

Baga
08-18-2011, 12:53 PM
It has nothing to do with the height of the rails on the uppers. The hole in the upper where the gas tube goes in is in the same location on all of them. The gas block needs to be .936" diameter, not .750". If I remember correctly, it needs that particular block so the gas tube will clear the barrel and align with the hole in the upper.

DPMS has a new micro block that will work with the SASS Barrel and it's only $20. http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=6021&cat=1775

Will this new $20 DPMS micro gas block fit underneath rails, what I mean is can it be hidden inside a free float handguard/tube like the $100 SASS Gas Block (http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4816) is described to do?

lwbyo1
08-18-2011, 1:44 PM
Will this new $20 DPMS micro gas block fit underneath rails, what I mean is can it be hidden inside a free float handguard/tube like the $100 SASS Gas Block (http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4816) is described to do?

From the link in post #2:

DPMS Micro .936 Gas Block

Description
This gas block can be used if one is trying to mount a standard free float tube or four rail hand guard on a carbine or mid length gas system. This will fit in any free float tube with internal diameter of 1.75 (which should be most free float tubes) and this will work with the 308 SASS barrel also. Made out of 4140 steel, manganese phosphate, weight 4.5 ounces, also comes with the set screws made in the USA by DPMS

Baga
08-18-2011, 2:46 PM
From the link in post #2:

DPMS Micro .936 Gas Block

Description
This gas block can be used if one is trying to mount a standard free float tube or four rail hand guard on a carbine or mid length gas system. This will fit in any free float tube with internal diameter of 1.75 (which should be most free float tubes) and this will work with the 308 SASS barrel also. Made out of 4140 steel, manganese phosphate, weight 4.5 ounces, also comes with the set screws made in the USA by DPMS

Thanks for the info and reply. :oops: Sorry, I didn't read the whole 'Description' on the website.

lwbyo1
08-18-2011, 3:24 PM
Thanks for the info and reply. :oops: Sorry, I didn't read the whole 'Description' on the website.

No problem.

Falstaff
08-18-2011, 4:26 PM
Yes, thanks. ( I hate it when I order the wrong stuff) I don't know why I was thinking it had something to do with the upper receiver, I should have realized the the upper receiver HAS to have the hole in the same place for the bolt key to line up.

fmunk
08-18-2011, 5:31 PM
I assume this will work on the mini-sass barrel as well?

lwbyo1
08-18-2011, 6:04 PM
I assume this will work on the mini-sass barrel as well?

According to the DPMS website it will.

lwbyo1
08-18-2011, 6:26 PM
Found the DPMS Micro Blocks at JSE Surplus for $17 if anyone needs one. They show they have 6 left.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/dpmsmicro936gasblock.aspx

zoglog
08-18-2011, 6:31 PM
Found the DPMS Micro Blocks at JSE Surplus for $17 if anyone needs one. They show they have 6 left.

+1, I have one of these on my SASS

Baga
08-19-2011, 8:44 AM

Thanks for the info...looks like this that link is getting around because there is only 5 left now, HAHA...

Hozr
08-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Heads up before you buy...it won't work. Yes the other block fit the barrel but the gas tube won't fit properly. You MUST use a gas block built for the SASS barrel. The barrel is THICK and steps up behind the gas block. The gas tube hole is drilled higher in the block for clearance. The other option is to mill a slot in your barrel for the gas tube to clear.

I use the Paladin Machine 3 position adjustable gas block for SASS. It $75 shipped.

I've been scouring for a year to find a gas block that works correctly with the SASS barrel and have sent many back.

Sicarius
08-19-2011, 10:11 AM
I took the factory DPMS railed gas block and milled mine down to fit under the rail.
Kevin

lwbyo1
08-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Heads up before you buy...it won't work. Yes the other block fit the barrel but the gas tube won't fit properly. You MUST use a gas block built for the SASS barrel. The barrel is THICK and steps up behind the gas block. The gas tube hole is drilled higher in the block for clearance. The other option is to mill a slot in your barrel for the gas tube to clear.

I use the Paladin Machine 3 position adjustable gas block for SASS. It $75 shipped.

I've been scouring for a year to find a gas block that works correctly with the SASS barrel and have sent many back.

Have you tried this exact gas block? People are using this one without any problems. Zoglog confirmed he has one on his SASS and it's GTG.

I know there were only the two gas blocks that would work with the SASS, the DPMS and the Paladin. This is a new micro version of the SASS gas block and DPMS specifically says it will work with the SASS barrel.

So I ask again. Have you tried this specific gas block? Not ones that look like it, but this exact one?

shellslinger
08-19-2011, 11:54 AM

Are you certain? My sass with the micro gas block seems to fit just fine.

Falstaff
08-19-2011, 1:57 PM
Uh oh, just when I thought I had removed all the confusion of SASSage building...

Baga
08-19-2011, 2:05 PM
Uh oh, just when I thought I had removed all the confusion of SASSage building...

DITTO, HAHA...

Hozr
08-19-2011, 4:12 PM
I ordered one from JSE about 6 months ago and there was no way it would work. Half the gas hole was blocked by the barrel. Maybe they fixed it. If so, good, it's way cheaper now. Mine went back

Good luck.

For reference-DPMS SASS 308 heavy barrel. 0.936" id gas block.

louscamaro91
08-19-2011, 4:15 PM
I used the $17 gas block and it worked just fine on my sass barrel.
It clears my DD lite 7.62 rail perfectly.

Hozr
08-19-2011, 4:21 PM
Just checked the DPMS site and it looks as if they've reengineered the micro. The description used to state it would NOT work and it most definitely didn't. Odd they still sell the expensive gas block too.

fmunk
08-25-2011, 1:11 PM
Confirmed. My order just arrived and the DPMS micro block from JSE fits the SASS barrel and the gas tube clears with ease.

The gas block has to fixing screws, the barrel has dimples for 3. No big deal, I've used this type of gas blocks on non-dimpled barrel before and they stayed on tight after several hundred rounds.