PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a Vortex Viper... Which one?! HELP!

send it_hit
08-17-2011, 5:33 PM
Alright, so I've got some cash set aside and am ready to upgrade my scope.

What I will be using it for:
Target shooting almost exclusively 200yds or under (currently shooting a Tikka in .223). I do expect to be going out to Sac Valley more often in the future as I progress as a shooter, and want to upgrade my caliber. When I do, I most likely will switch this scope over, since I doubt I'll be able to afford a new rifle AND new glass again.

I might take it on a hunt, but it's going on a .223 so either coyote or varmint most likely. And that is very far off in the future. At least next year.

Why I want it:
I'm using a Bushnell 3200 Elite 5-15x40 Mildot. I really like it, holds zero, and clicks are right on. However I do find myself wishing I had a little more magnification. The glass is good, but not as good as I've seen looking through the Vortex. I plan on stepping up to a larger caliber (most likely 6.5 Creedmoor), as I shoot out further distances, and would like to this new Viper on that eventually, and put the Bushnell back on the .223. Basically I want to be proficient in the use of the Vortex before taking it out to longer ranges.

The scopes I'm looking at are:

Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP

What I like: The reticle options. I do forsee these being useful at longer distances. I also like the 24 magnification. I have always been a fan of higher magnifications. I like the zero stop.

What I'm unsure about: Is the extra 4 magnification and the reticle worth the extra $300?

Viper 6.5-20x50 OR 6.5-20x44 PA

What I like: Lower price is the main thing I like about it.

What I'm unsure about: Lower magnification, reticle selection not my favorite.

I have pretty good eyes with my glasses on so I have never found a smaller objective to be a huge issue. However, I haven't shot long distances before so correct me if I'm wrong, maybe it will matter at a few hundred yards. My only other concern is I am used to adjustable objectives... Is this something that is hard to overcome? Easy to learn? I thought back and I think all my scopes have been adjustable... I also am not so used to the Mildot for that to influence me to MOA or MIL. I also am not head over heels about the FFP scopes... The extra money doesn't seem worth it.

Anything I haven't thought of that should influence my decision? I think I've covered most of it :)

GUNNTZ
08-17-2011, 7:40 PM
The first thing I see is that both scopes are not exactly equal. The PST's are illuminated with turrets, while the PA's are standard capped no illumination. The larger glass will give you some more field of view, so buy the largest you can afford if distance shots are more difficult to see. I've looked through a PST and would consider the view on par with a low end leupold or bushnell elite 6500 scope, they are a excellent value for what you get. Besides hunting what will be your shooting goal: steel plates, paper, competition or general usage. Some have complained about minor parallex issues at max magnification...most affordable scopes have this issue.

send it_hit
08-17-2011, 7:47 PM
The first thing I see is that both scopes are not exactly equal. The PST's are illuminated with turrets, while the PA's are standard capped no illumination. The larger glass will give you some more field of view, so buy the largest you can afford if distance shots are more difficult to see. I've looked through a PST and would consider the view on par with a low end leupold or bushnell elite 6500 scope, they are a excellent value for what you get. Besides hunting what will be your shooting goal: steel plates, paper, competition or general usage. Some have complained about minor parallex issues at max magnification...most affordable scopes have this issue.

ah shoot, forgot to add the illumination. As I will be shooting during daylight as far as I know, I won't need it.

As far as my goal, for now shooting paper. I'd like to learn to ring steel up to 1000yds (not with the .223 though). If I get way better, competition.

GUNNTZ
08-17-2011, 7:56 PM
Trust me the illumination and tactical turrets are real handy; I stopped buying scopes without turrets(yes i'm lazy). Either way you really can't go wrong.

send it_hit
08-17-2011, 8:08 PM
Trust me the illumination and tactical turrets are real handy; I stopped buying scopes without turrets(yes i'm lazy). Either way you really can't go wrong.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'd be happy either way. It's an upgrade regardless.

Just out of curiosity, how often do you actually find those things come in handy? how so?

GUNNTZ
08-18-2011, 4:53 PM
turrets reduce the steps to make adjustments and they get used heavily on windy days for me. Illumination is great around dawn and dusk if you are out shooting, but can still be useful on really bright days/areas without shade. Three of my scopes have illumination and it gets used 40-50% of the time.