PDA

View Full Version : PTSD

NYsteveZ
08-17-2011, 3:30 PM
I served in the Marines in Iraq and by no means am I Rambo. Alot of our guys are coming home pretty messed up. Injuries that would have killed a troop a short time ago are being survivable. That said, what are your thoughts on a Veteran with PTSD owning a firearm. Should the BATF question this on an application? DO they check VA records?

jwkincal
08-17-2011, 3:36 PM
I dunno about VA records, but a buddy of mine was denied his S&W 40 because DoD couldn't find his DD214 to report on the character of his service.

I told him "that's why they said to never lose your copy" and he dug it out of his garage, sent it into the appropriate authority, and he finally got his combat tupperware.

I'd guess that if your VA records indicate that you had to be "hospitalized for your own safety" or something like that, you are likely to have problems. They do appear to be checking all available records...

DVLDOC
08-17-2011, 3:40 PM
Having PTSD does not mean you are crazy.

Pablo22
08-17-2011, 3:51 PM
I served in the Marines in Iraq and by no means am I Rambo. Alot of our guys are coming home pretty messed up. Injuries that would have killed a troop a short time ago are being survivable. That said, what are your thoughts on a Veteran with PTSD owning a firearm. Should the BATF question this on an application? DO they check VA records?

I caught a Russian Rocket to the side of the grape in Iraq in 03 - VA says TBI, PTSD, ETC. ETC. I have had no problems and neither have friends of mine.

glbtrottr
08-17-2011, 3:55 PM
PTSD / anxiety attacks are a very unfortunate and very misunderstood condition.

jwkincal
08-17-2011, 4:00 PM
...and PTSD is NOT a viable reason for background check denial.

It would only have this result if someone was "involuntarily held for mental health reasons" or something like that. Which I have known to happen in the service. And which records would be available to the authority making said check.

That is my understanding of the arrangement, but the only way to be sure is to call DOJ/BATFE and talk to someone in charge to find out the particulars. Get multiple opinions, though... and find someone whom can cite the appropriate codes/regs because a lot of those bureaucrats have no idea...

steelrain82
08-17-2011, 4:09 PM
Everyone I know with PTSD from the war has guns. But I always worry that somehow i will be denied because of it.

proclone1
08-17-2011, 4:26 PM
I dunno about VA records, but a buddy of mine was denied his S&W 40 because DoD couldn't find his DD214 to report on the character of his service.

I told him "that's why they said to never lose your copy" and he dug it out of his garage, sent it into the appropriate authority, and he finally got his combat tupperware.

LOL in this computerized day and age, DoD is still losing DISCHARGE records??

jwkincal
08-17-2011, 4:31 PM
LOL in this computerized day and age, DoD is still losing DISCHARGE records??

Well, had this fella been discharged last year or something like that I'd agree with your indictment of incompetence... but he was discharged at a time before cell phones were common... I know that seems like the stone age to some of you people, but it really wasn't all that long ago.

goathead
08-17-2011, 4:43 PM
Everyone I know with PTSD from the war has guns. But I always worry that somehow i will be denied because of it.

word!

armygunsmith
08-17-2011, 4:45 PM
Having PTSD does not mean you are crazy.

This is the correct answer.

NYsteveZ
08-17-2011, 6:15 PM
Good info, Semper Fi Steel Rain! Im gonna guess you were/are arty, maybe part of 11th Marines (Cannon Cockers). I was a Comm guy, (RO) and arty's call sign was always Steel Rain.
As far as the VA goes...wow, I had a Comp/Pen exam a year ago, for a claim I filed two years ago, still no verdict. Still, I cant get mad at the employees there. The true culprit is the manpower and lack of funding our great leaders fail to provide.

steelrain82
08-17-2011, 7:55 PM
Nope 60mm in a wpns plt 1/5

NYsteveZ
08-17-2011, 8:28 PM
Nice, so you were stationed up near San Onefre, correct?