PDA

View Full Version : Rejected Without Criminal Record?

Chris AC56
08-17-2011, 1:42 PM
I purchased a 1938 Mosin Nagant M91/30 last week and today I received a phone call from the place I bought it from, and they informed me that the purchase didnt go through. The state rejected it, for some reason and I have a clean criminal record?

How could i have been rejected as such?

Other details: few years ago I did have therapy for OCD related problems, all of which was voluntary. I read the form and it stated that youd have to answer YES if youve been in a mental institution or asylum involuntarily (mental insanity). That still doesnt apply to me, Im really confused here and nervous that I wont be allowed to legally own a rifle :(

what went wrong here?

Untamed1972
08-17-2011, 1:55 PM
could be any number of things. You need to call DOJ and ask. They have been holding up DROS over things like unpaind fines and tickets and stuff like that.

Call DOJ and and they can tell you exactly what the issue is.

geeknow
08-17-2011, 1:57 PM
Also, verify that they dont have you confused with another person with the same/similar name.

Fate
08-17-2011, 1:58 PM
Could also be a "common name" issue. They could be mistaking you for someone else.

MTG Firearms
08-17-2011, 2:00 PM
Could also be a "common name" issue. They could be mistaking you for someone else.

This is my first thought. I hear of a lot of denials for drivers liscence being expired.

PixelBender
08-17-2011, 2:02 PM
You should have been given a phone number to call. Its the number to the DOJ office. You provide them your DL license and they will look it up. They should be able to give you all the information you need.

here it is...

916-621-2263

They should be able to answer all your questions.

monk
08-17-2011, 2:06 PM
This is why I include my SS#, they can't claim wrong identity. Or maybe I'm giving the DOJ too much credit.

Bhobbs
08-17-2011, 2:27 PM
Isn't there an eligability check form you can fill out that will tell you if you have any issues?

PixelBender
08-17-2011, 2:27 PM
This is why I include my SS#, they can't claim wrong identity. Or maybe I'm giving the DOJ too much credit.

I believe the form requires your Social Security Number and a Drivers License/State ID.

GTXR390
08-17-2011, 2:48 PM
I believe the form requires your Social Security Number and a Drivers License/State ID.

SS is optional

Casual_Shooter
08-17-2011, 2:49 PM
A friend's DROS was delayed because of him having a very common name. Hopefully that's it.

monk
08-17-2011, 2:50 PM
SS is optional
This.

MP301

No. SS# is optional.

hvengel
Name mix ups are not uncommon. If someone with a record has the same or a very similar name to yours they get confused and reject you. I asked an FFL about DOJ rejections once and he told me that they are usually good about this but the similar name thing is an issue that comes up on a regular basis.

He told me about a recent case in his shop. In that case the person who was rejected didn't have a record but his father by the same name but with a Sr. suffix had a record and Jr. had to deal with it. In fact Jr. claimed that he didn't even know Sr. had a record until this happened. He said that Jr. called DOJ and the problem was fixed in a few days.

Wherryj
08-17-2011, 3:15 PM
Also, verify that they dont have you confused with another person with the same/similar name.

Perhaps the FFL copied your driver's license or other info incorrectly?

CavTrooper
08-17-2011, 3:26 PM
Perhaps the whole DROS system is redundant and totally retarded and should be a priority to eliminate.

Norsemen308
08-17-2011, 3:29 PM
I purchased a 1938 Mosin Nagant M91/30 last week and today I received a phone call from the place I bought it from, and they informed me that the purchase didnt go through. The state rejected it, for some reason and I have a clean criminal record?

How could i have been rejected as such?

Other details: few years ago I did have therapy for OCD related problems, all of which was voluntary. I read the form and it stated that youd have to answer YES if youve been in a mental institution or asylum involuntarily (mental insanity). That still doesnt apply to me, Im really confused here and nervous that I wont be allowed to legally own a rifle :(

what went wrong here?

iam just going to tell you whats happening with a bunch of friends of mine as current college grads... they have all found out....

if you have stuff registered I.e car insurance, vehicle, to one house, yet your id says another... you throw a flag and are declined

if you are registered at one house but have newly signed a lease at another house, you can throw a flag and can be declined

so dont think its something horrible, in many cases its something stupid that prevented it from going threw

chead
08-17-2011, 3:52 PM
I was rejected on my first gun purchase for a ticket out of LA that I didn't know I had. I'm pretty sure that they wrote the wrong license number, since I can't recall getting the ticket.

PolishMike
08-17-2011, 3:56 PM

This does nothing for you. Even if you include your SS, the DOJ does not get it as you write it down on the federal form and there is not even a place to write it on the state one.

They run it by DL#

ke6guj
08-17-2011, 3:57 PM

I'll never include my SS# on the 4473 as long as it is optional. Can you trust the FFL and every employee that goes through there for the next 20-years? And even if you do, are their records secured as well as the firearms?

I'd rather have a delay in getting my firearm instead of giving someone all the info needed for identity theft.

I believe the form requires your Social Security Number and a Drivers License/State ID.incorrect. The 4473 says it is optional and it is not mentioned on the CA DROS form.

rp55
08-17-2011, 3:59 PM
Don't know is this applies to you or not but there is a new Federal system that came on line recently that lets all the states talk to each other. Lots of DROS denials coming in for guys that had stuff like a ticket in Minnesota from 1988 they forgot about. Lots of stuff like that coming to light now. The best way to avoid the drama and hassle is to get a CA ID Card and use that for DROS vice a CADL.

cbaer5
08-17-2011, 4:03 PM
im pretty sure the ID cards have your DL number on them

cbaer5
08-17-2011, 4:04 PM
and by the way thanks guys now im paranoid

TRICKSTER
08-17-2011, 4:05 PM
Don't know is this applies to you or not but there is a new Federal system that came on line recently that lets all the states talk to each other. Lots of DROS denials coming in for guys that had stuff like a ticket in Minnesota from 1988 they forgot about. Lots of stuff like that coming to light now. The best way to avoid the drama and hassle is to get a CA ID Card and use that for DROS vice a CADL.

Don't see how that will help for out of state isssues, the info and number is still the same on both. The only difference is that one is just ID and the other is a drivers license. Now if your license is suspended or expired, then having a valid ID Card will help.

Matt C
08-17-2011, 4:05 PM
if you are registered at one house but have newly signed a lease at another house, you can throw a flag and can be declined

How could the DOJ possibly know that you signed a lease on a house?

ke6guj
08-17-2011, 4:11 PM
im pretty sure the ID cards have your DL number on them
IIRC, they have the same number on them, but they are considered to be different in the system. YOur ID with number A123456 is not the same as your DL with A123456.

Don't see how that will help for out of state isssues, the info and number is still the same on both. The only difference is that one is just ID and the other is a drivers license. Now if your license is suspended or expired, then having a valid ID Card will help.If you had out-of-state tickets that weren't to the point of being a legal firearms purchase disqualifer on their, but could be enough to suspend your drivng priveledges, they could suspend your CA DL. I don't think they could suspend your ID. Now, if you had warrants, then it wouldn't matter if you used your ID or DL.

Kid Stanislaus
08-17-2011, 4:17 PM
A friend's DROS was delayed because of him having a very common name. Hopefully that's it.

Geeze, some guy name John Smith may NEVER get to buy his gun!:D

Kid Stanislaus
08-17-2011, 4:20 PM
Perhaps the whole DROS system is redundant and totally retarded and should be a priority to eliminate.

Oh now c'mon Cav, do you mean to suggest that we should actually ELIMINATE some government BS?!! How would all those government employees earn those juicy pensions?:D

Shellshocker66
08-17-2011, 4:31 PM

I have a very common last name of Smith. I always worry I will get denied but has never happened. I get calls from bill collectors for accounts I've never had and an addresses I've never lived at. Coming back from another country is like a mini interrogation as I get asked if I've lived in several cities/states that I've never lived in before they let me back in :)

So yeah the common name thing may come up sometimes but obviously I've been lucky.

Keep us updated OP on what the issue was! Hopefully it will resolve.

sw99
08-17-2011, 5:13 PM
Other details: few years ago I did have therapy for OCD related problems, all of which was voluntary. I read the form and it stated that youd have to answer YES if youve been in a mental institution or asylum involuntarily (mental insanity).

That could be it. It depends if the theapist filed something against you, and how long ago it was.

Or as other have said, it could be unpaid traffic fines, a name SNAFU, or a host of other things.

a quick google search turned up ... http://www.mabpro.com/resource/docs/cal_firearmsProhibitionForm.pdf

chead
08-18-2011, 4:01 AM
The questions about being institutionalized generally mean against your will or by court order. Outside of some very, very rare circumstances you should never be denied for having sought psychological treatment or therapy.

NorCalDustin
08-18-2011, 9:14 AM
Read the form, it says its optional...

kLewis
08-18-2011, 2:47 PM
How can it possibly be legal for them to deny a purchase based on outstanding fines/fees, much less from another state? :facepalm:

gatesbox
08-18-2011, 2:52 PM
Just out of curiousity why wasn't this just cash and carry...I've never bought a C&R just curious why there was any paperwork whatsoever other than a reciept...

Anchors
08-18-2011, 2:58 PM
Call the number and let us know what they say. Don't let them bully you and make sure you get them to clear it up while you're on the phone if possible.

I always leave SS# blank. In fact, I leave anything optional blank.

Worth quoting again^

Don't know is this applies to you or not but there is a new Federal system that came on line recently that lets all the states talk to each other. Lots of DROS denials coming in for guys that had stuff like a ticket in Minnesota from 1988 they forgot about. Lots of stuff like that coming to light now.

Interesting. That is news to me. Do you have a link where we can read about it?

How can it possibly be legal for them to deny a purchase based on outstanding fines/fees, much less from another state? :facepalm:

Because it makes you a "criminal fugitive from justice".
Yes, I know, pure BS.

SoCal Bob
08-18-2011, 3:01 PM
Just out of curiousity why wasn't this just cash and carry...I've never bought a C&R just curious why there was any paperwork whatsoever other than a reciept...

It sounds like he bought it from an 01FFL. They have to DROS it if it's in their inventory. The 10 day wait can be avoided if you have a COE and an 03FFL although not all 01FFL's are familiar or comfortable with that procedure.

A C&R can be face to face but many believe it has to be DROSed because they had to DROS it when they bought it (like at Big 5) and think it is in their name with DOJ.

Norsemen308
08-18-2011, 3:13 PM
How could the DOJ possibly know that you signed a lease on a house?

Happened to a good friend of mine, DOJ told him they ran his check and he was down as renting a appt in one town, yet his dl# was in another town, he had to go to the dmv and get it all switched to his appt before doj proceeded...

DOJ knows alot of ish, very scary deal...

newbee1111
08-18-2011, 4:27 PM
The California DROS became self aware on Monday, August 15 at 5:08 pm. It immediately began denying gun purchases to California citizens as a means of disarming the human population before the machine revolution.

Matt C
08-18-2011, 4:29 PM
Happened to a good friend of mine, DOJ told him they ran his check and he was down as renting a appt in one town, yet his dl# was in another town, he had to go to the dmv and get it all switched to his appt before doj proceeded...

DOJ knows alot of ish, very scary deal...

This must be from the same all encompassing database that the investigators on the show "CSI" use. :rolleyes:

Uxi
08-18-2011, 4:38 PM
The California DROS became self aware on Monday, August 15 at 5:08 pm. It immediately began denying gun purchases to California citizens as a means of disarming the human population before the machine revolution.

LOL. That's great.

Definitely down with DROS!

Norsemen308
08-18-2011, 4:49 PM
This must be from the same all encompassing database that the investigators on the show "CSI" use. :rolleyes:

say what you wish, but it was a 180 dollar mistake at turners for my budy, so just putting a heads up.

blakdawg
08-18-2011, 5:15 PM

Not that I'm defending it, but I think the theory is as follows:

1. get a ticket
2. ignore the ticket, it turns into failure to appear, turns into suspended license
3. [optional] other state suspended license causes CA license to be suspended
4. suspended DL not considered valid ID
5. no valid ID = DROS reject
6. no DROS = no gun

so a practical countermeasure is to get a separate ID card, which is unrelated to your driving record/history, so screwups at the DMV won't impact your ability to buy guns.

This will also let you get a drivers' license with a PO Box, and an ID card with a residence address. Nosy stores/whatever who want to see ID get your your DL with the PO Box; FFL's get the ID card with the residence address.

ke6guj
08-18-2011, 5:22 PM
say what you wish, but it was a 180 dollar mistake at turners for my budy, so just putting a heads up.
why did it cost $155 to get his address on his ID/DL switched over, assuming he had to pay $25 to reDROS it.

Norsemen308
08-18-2011, 5:23 PM
turners takes a percentage of the gun cost if you are denied on a dros.

ke6guj
08-18-2011, 5:26 PM
turners takes a percentage of the gun cost if you are denied on a dros.
but he said that "doj proceded" so there shouldn't have been a restocking charge. If you are denied on the the DROS, fix the problem and then reDROS, AFAIK, Turners (and I assume most shops) won't charge you the restocking fee, just the reDROS fee.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
08-18-2011, 6:14 PM

:iagree:....I got my identity stolen and some $OB had $10,000 of unpaid tickets, bills, credit cards, and that I was in a Missouri jail, I got F*** up when I try to buy a Ruger10/22.

tyrist
08-18-2011, 9:33 PM

If you put your social security number on anything the police can find it. Things like credit cards, electric bills, rent agreements, social security checks, welfare, etc.

gunsmith
08-18-2011, 10:06 PM
man what a mess CA has become in the last few yrs, good luck I hope it isn't something unfixable. Do not volunteer any incriminating info, simply make them tell you why you were denied

redneckshootist
08-18-2011, 11:57 PM

I think you misunderstood him or don't have all the correct info, I get this a lot were the DL deos'nt match the address where they live especially since we get a lot of students from davis who dont do a dmv address change so they are still using thier parents address for dmv stuff. All we do is ask for a government issued bill in thier name. DOJ deosnt ever deny them on that issue that I know of. I bet your friend had that issue where turners was following federal law, cause if we dont get government issued document if DL deosnt match we get yelled at by ATF.

Matt C
08-19-2011, 12:01 AM
If you put your social security number on anything the police can find it. Things like credit cards, electric bills, rent agreements, social security checks, welfare, etc.

Not just the police, but also any other person who pays for access to those databases. It's because people who collect those things do so for a reason, and they report them to the organizations they are asking for info from (not SSI/welfare, that's a whole other story). But for rent agreements? Not so sure, a simple credit check for a apartment would not show that a person is living there, unlike a utility bill. And that DOJ is checking that stuff? I'm even more doubtful. And then that the DOJ told them that is why they were denied? The entire story makes no sense.

Ron-Solo
08-19-2011, 12:29 AM
iam just going to tell you whats happening with a bunch of friends of mine as current college grads... they have all found out....

if you have stuff registered I.e car insurance, vehicle, to one house, yet your id says another... you throw a flag and are declined

so dont think its something horrible, in many cases its something stupid that prevented it from going threw

Not even close to being accurate.

rbetts
08-19-2011, 1:13 AM
There's more to the story here than what we know about. The DOJ is very specific in it's denials. The dealer will not know the reason, only the DOJ and the DROSEE will. Other than that, LOTS and LOTS of FUD in this thread.

Sorry.

newbee1111
08-19-2011, 11:29 AM
There's more to the story here than what we know about. The DOJ is very specific in it's denials. The dealer will not know the reason, only the DOJ and the DROSEE will. Other than that, LOTS and LOTS of FUD in this thread.

Sorry.

Look, this is obviously the opening volley from the UN/NWO/OMGWTFBBQ forces to take away our guns. First a random DROS is denied and them boom, blue helmets are kicking in your door seizing your guns and shipping you off to a re-education camp. That is the only obvious explanation. Well that or an un-paid parking ticket.

tyrist
08-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Not just the police, but also any other person who pays for access to those databases. It's because people who collect those things do so for a reason, and they report them to the organizations they are asking for info from (not SSI/welfare, that's a whole other story). But for rent agreements? Not so sure, a simple credit check for a apartment would not show that a person is living there, unlike a utility bill. And that DOJ is checking that stuff? I'm even more doubtful. And then that the DOJ told them that is why they were denied? The entire story makes no sense.

I don't think the DOJ checks. What I am talking about is used to hunt down fugitives.

notme92069
08-20-2011, 4:51 PM
I was rejected on my first gun purchase for a ticket out of LA that I didn't know I had. I'm pretty sure that they wrote the wrong license number, since I can't recall getting the ticket.

Is that legal? Is it specifically stated in the PC that you can be denied for a traffic ticket?

luckystrike
08-20-2011, 5:37 PM

+1. this happened to my dad alot, common name and got denied half the time, he finally ended up getting a letter from CBI or ATF that stated prettymuch 'this is THIS guy and not THAT guy'

redneckshootist
08-21-2011, 9:40 AM
Is that legal? Is it specifically stated in the PC that you can be denied for a traffic ticket?

and unpaid traffic ticket will cause a suspended license, making you DL invalid as an id, then it comes back as a bad ID denial. You can however go get a regular ID card and re-dros though.

Tango-Alpha
08-21-2011, 4:54 PM
That's too bad. I'm really sorry to hear that you got rejected. Good luck with getting everything all sorted out. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation that you can rectify. Let us know how things turn out.

chead
08-21-2011, 5:08 PM
man what a mess CA has become in the last few yrs, good luck I hope it isn't something unfixable. Do not volunteer any incriminating info, simply make them tell you why you were denied

You can just call the DOJ and they'll tell you. They even have a person whose sole job is to answer DROS questions as far as I can tell.

It became a failure to appear, which invalidated my license. But the DMV also had my address off by one number (they added a zero for some reason), so I was of course never even notified of the ticket.