View Full Version : A couple questions about slings

08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm going to try to attend my first Appleseed soon and I want to get two rifles ready, a 10/22 and an AR-15.

I picked up a USGI sling for my 10/22 from the Appleseed store. Now I need some sling swivels. I have see uncle mikes 1.25" being recommended but the only sets I found for a 10/22 were 1 inch. Do I have to buy the studs and swivels separately?

What kind of sling should I get for my AR-15 and how should I attach it? All I have right now is an MS2 sling and I don't think it would be very good for Appleseed. Its a Daniel Defense DDXV with a 7 inch omega rail. The rail has a spot for a sling swivel but its on the side at the back of the rail, should I get a swivel that will mount to the front of the rail?

Also, how important are easily adjustable sights on the 10/22? If all the shooting is done at 25 meters they shouldn't need to be adjusted once zeroed right? I would like to get some tech sights but I don't really want to spend that much right now.

08-17-2011, 1:13 PM
I've used a 1" swivel, it will work ok but I'd replace it asap. For the ar15, you will want a swivel on the bottom and out in front. Doesn't your rifle have the stock swivel on the gas block? The advantage of the tech sights is the precise aiming point, that is easily repeatable. The stock sights are tough to get a precise sight picture.

08-17-2011, 2:14 PM
The Tech sights make a huge difference. I think they're well worth it. I think I got a set of 1.25" swivels with studs on Amazon. With the 10/22 you really need to modify the bolt release. Most of the courses are tightly timed and the bolt release on the 10/22 really slows you down. You should have three mags. Only two are used per course of fire, but it's good to have a spare. I don't have one, but the devices that allow you to attach two mags to each other will help also. It's not that easy to get a single mag out when your in the sling.

Appleseed is well worth your time. The instruction is tops and the people are great. Have fun.

08-17-2011, 2:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. My AR has the spot to attach a front sling swivel but it didn't come with one. Since its free floated I guess I should get one that attaches to the rail? Any recommendations on what kind of sling? Sorry for the newb questions but I have never used a sling to shoot.

I already have the USGI sling for my 10/22, so I want to get 1.25" swivels. I agree the stock sights suck and I would like to get tech sights but I will probably end up shooting my AR and loaning out my 10/22 so I can't justify buying them right now. Thanks for the tip about the bolt release, I will look into those.

08-17-2011, 9:07 PM
My AR-15 has the same sling -- M1, GI, cotton.

In a pinch you don't need a sling swivel. You should be able to just run a zip-tie through holes in your DD foreend, and loop the sling through that. We make field expedient sling mounts like this at Appleseed all the time... if it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid.

The biggest advantage to Tech Sights on a 10/22 is that it makes sight adjustment repeatable. The white lines on the Ruger stock rear sight roughly correspond to a 50 yard and 100 yard zero (provided everything was built to perfect tolerances, which they usually aren't) and that's just too coarse an adjustment. It won't ruin your weekend to use the stock irons, it'll just take more trial and error trying to walk the sights onto the target.