PDA

View Full Version : What tools!?

thefinger
01-17-2007, 4:32 PM
After hearing all your comments about the quality of model 1 and del-ton rifle kits, I have to say--I'm sold. My question to those of you who have built your own rifles from a kit is: exactly what tools do I need to assemble an AR from a rifle kit? I'm away from home(and most of my tools) since I'm at college right now, and I'm hoping I won't need to buy too many. Thanks!

shinigami
01-17-2007, 4:48 PM
I used (1) plier (1) small hammer.... that's it.....

After that I needed to get some punch tools...co'z it's wayyyyy easier to do it that way...

chime in people....I'm working while typing :D

cornholio1
01-17-2007, 4:51 PM
I used (1) plier (1) small hammer.... that's it.....

After that I needed to get some punch tools...co'z it's wayyyyy easier to do it that way...

chime in people....I'm working while typing :D

I'd buy the DPMS multi tool if your gonna do more future builds. You can use it to install the buttstock assembly. The tools you'll really need are to build install the LPK. Some punches and a hammer or vice grips and tape. Instructions on ARF

Aluisious
01-17-2007, 4:53 PM
After hearing all your comments about the quality of model 1 and del-ton rifle kits, I have to say--I'm sold. My question to those of you who have built your own rifles from a kit is: exactly what tools do I need to assemble an AR from a rifle kit? I'm away from home(and most of my tools) since I'm at college right now, and I'm hoping I won't need to buy too many. Thanks!
Hammer

Punches are good, I managed with some from Osh for 10 bucks

You can sneak by with that, especially if you only plan on doing it once.

fairfaxjim
01-17-2007, 6:09 PM
+1 on punches, hammer, vice grips and tape.
Besides that, read the instructions completely through before you try to do anything, and then just do what they say. Make sure you have identified which little spring is which, so you only have to put it in once. Get clear on the correct way to do the hammer and trigger springs - they will go in backwards. You can make a tool for the pivot pin detent & spring with a 1/4" dowel, a 1/4" clevis pin, or, I sanded down a pencil and drilled a hole through it, works great. Some people use a small screwdriver or knife blade. I also tape the receiver with blue masking tape for protection until done, and tape the vice grip jaws with electrical tape to press in the bolt catch pin.

jaymz
01-18-2007, 9:09 AM
I built both of my lowers with my Leatherman. Tape the jaws with some electrical tape and go to town. The only thing that you will not be able to do is tighten the stock. I cobbled together a wrench with a welder and some scrap flatstock. It would have been easier to buy the tool, but I had all the parts and no patience to wait for the mailman!:D

DedEye
01-18-2007, 11:12 AM
I ended up using a regular old hammer, a small screwdriver for use as a punch and to install the pivot pin, a flat head screwdriver to install the pistol grip (even though the screw was hex head), needle nose pliers, and an armorer's stock wrench for installing the buttstock.

thefinger
01-18-2007, 1:12 PM
I ended up using a regular old hammer, a small screwdriver for use as a punch and to install the pivot pin, a flat head screwdriver to install the pistol grip (even though the screw was hex head), needle nose pliers, and an armorer's stock wrench for installing the buttstock.

I did a quick search and it seems like most armorers wrenches are for CAR stocks... do I even need one for an A2 stock? If I do, where would you recommend getting one?

Also, will i be able to get the build done without a bench-vice?..... I assume that the kit will require me to build my own upper as well..

thefurball
01-18-2007, 2:44 PM
I put mine together with a pair of pliers, a small brass hammer and a small punch... but then that was only the lower. I bought the upper already built.

Gringo Bandito
01-18-2007, 5:34 PM
I did a quick search and it seems like most armorers wrenches are for CAR stocks... do I even need one for an A2 stock? If I do, where would you recommend getting one?

Also, will i be able to get the build done without a bench-vice?..... I assume that the kit will require me to build my own upper as well..

You do not need a stock wrench for the A2 stock. It screws in from the back.

As far as the upper goes. I would recommend buying one that is already assembled, head spaced and test fired. It will make things much more enjoyable. Besides, do you want to shoot it or wrench on it?

Ragweed

thefinger
01-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Besides, do you want to shoot it or wrench on it?[Ragweed

both!! hahaa.. thanks for the advice, guys.

DedEye
01-20-2007, 12:41 AM
You do not need a stock wrench for the A2 stock. It screws in from the back.

As far as the upper goes. I would recommend buying one that is already assembled, head spaced and test fired. It will make things much more enjoyable. Besides, do you want to shoot it or wrench on it?

Ragweed

I'll be going for a pre-built upper myself for those reasons.