PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest ammo source?

mightymike
01-17-2007, 3:49 PM
Is it just me, or have ammo prices gone through the roof. I'm talking over the last 6 months to a year. I need some decent .308 and .223. Who's got the best deal?

Aluisious
01-17-2007, 3:50 PM
Is it just me, or have ammo prices gone through the roof. I'm talking over the last 6 months to a year. I need some decent .308 and .223. Who's got the best deal?
I got a thousand rounds of 55 gr Wolf polymer coated steel case ammo from Sportsmansguide.com for 160ish shipped.

C.G.
01-17-2007, 4:40 PM

Nobody, either they are out of stock or it is too much money.

CWM4A1
01-17-2007, 4:49 PM
Ammo price has being increased quite a bit since beginning part of 2005. Still remember getting Wolf ammo less then $100/K, now it's 150/K + shipping. For plinking and blasting, Wolf is your best choice provided that your gun does digest Wolf; Otherwise, whatever you can find cheap (Winchester White Box, Remington green box, Federal American Eagle)...

If you are tapping into factory reload, you want to be careful and do a little search. My personal favorite is Georgia Arms canned heat, price now is $220/K + shipping.

For .308, you are SOL as the supply for military surplus has pretty much dried up. Last good ammo in quantity I've seen are the South African at AIM Surplus, but they are out already. For now you can check-out local gun show to see what they have to offer. South African, Portugese are both pretty good. Argentine ammo seems to be okay, Pakistani is not the best, but certainly much better than Indian crap that has KB quite a few guns. Or you just have to cough up the dough for factory new commercial ammo.

sthornwall
01-17-2007, 7:31 PM

GUN SHOWS, GUN SHOWS, GUN SHOWS!!

I have been and I'm still on the hunt for cheaper ammo, I have pretty much checked everywhere. I have not found better prices online or at any sporting goods store for ammo then the gun shows. The best I have found for Federal AE is $110-$120 for a box of 500 in .223 and Wolf sells for $89-$99 per box of 500 in .223. The GS's seem to bring the best prices plus you don't pay shipping. I have found locally in San Diego .223 can run for up to $185 per 500. I remember last year you could pick up Federal for $99 a box but those days seem to be lost for now. I'm not saying that the GS will always have the best price but for the last two years for me it has proved to be the most reasonable and dependable. Your best bet for the best deals is to get there first thing in the morning on the first day of the GS, as their supplies deplete, the prices will creep up during the duration of a single show. You may find great deals online but you still need to consider shipping cost. I never looked into .308 but I am sure you can get a good price for ammo also. I always pick up at least 1000 rounds every time the GS comes to the Del Mar Fair (about every three months). You can never have too much ammo IMO. Happy hunting.;)

mightymike
01-18-2007, 7:27 AM
I've been told to steer clear of Wolf for my AR type rifles, but what about the .308?

C.G.
01-18-2007, 7:33 AM
I've been told to steer clear of Wolf for my AR type rifles, but what about the .308?

Here is a good story on why to stay away from Wolf .308:
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176323

And DSAs take on it, pasted from FAL files:
Here's an email I got from DSA, asking why I shouldn't use Wolf ammo in their STG58s.

-------------------

Hello Nick,

Wolf ammo is subject to case head failure, and even worse, the occasional double powder load. In short, it may blow up your rifle. Russian quality control on ammo is one of the worst in the world. We have had more problems with customers blowing up rifles with Wolf than any other brand. We had a SA58 rifle in here last week as a result of using Wolf ammo. Also, the FAL was not designed for use with steel cased ammo, nor is Wolf ammo Nato Spec. Can the rifle function with it ? Yes, will it do so flawlessly ? Perhaps....but you should know extended use of this type of ammo causes excessive wear on your rifle. Can you get lucky and never run into a bad batch of Wolf ammo>? Probably. But is it worth the risk to save $30 per thousand rounds? if you use Wolf in your rifle ,you will void your warranty. We would know because the case would be stuck in the chamber, or we would ask for the case that blew up the gun. There are always at least pieces left of the case.

There are many other types of surplus ammo out there besides South African. We take the time to post this info on the web because we want you to avoid having problems with your rifle. There are no rifles out there that would not sustain major damage from case head failure or double powder loads. As you stated, the FAL is robust, but not indestructible.

We suggest you take a look at Shotgun News, or Gun List as there are usually several companies in each that list Surplus ammo that is not on our warning list. If you can't find surplus ammo , we suggest Winchester USA Brand, Federal American Eagle, or Remington UMC. These are slightly higher than surplus costs, but they are excellent and well below the cost of premium ammo. Unfortunately, surplus ammo is getting scarce in any caliber.

Hope that answers your question.

Best Regards,

Marc Galli
General Manager
DSA Inc.

scorpucla
01-18-2007, 1:27 PM

This is probably the best commercial deal right now: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=366288

Shipping is kinda of a pain and will add to the cost. I think Pakistani surplus just dried up, and some reviews on it weren't that positive. I'm sitting on some South African surplus, that I'm debating on selling off, but haven't decided yet.

BTW, i think there was a $25 coupon, off of $225 at midway, but it may have expired.

GTKrockeTT
01-18-2007, 3:21 PM
Coupon code still valid.

To receive your $20 off:
1. Place $225 or more of in-stock products in your shopping cart. Enter Promotion Code 'WEB2251' in the box entitled 'Promotion Code' on the Shopping Cart page.
2. You will see the discount on the Confirmation page before placing your order.
3. Remember, this promotion code is valid for orders placed on MidwayUSA.com.
4. Limited to one per customer and one promotion code per retail order.
5. Hurry, offer ends at 11:59 CT January 21, 2007.

DV8
01-18-2007, 3:49 PM
I happened to see at the ammunition store, theres some .308 OFV stuff for 99$/400. Dont know anything about it though...

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/

scorpucla
01-18-2007, 4:49 PM
I happened to see at the ammunition store, theres some .308 OFV stuff for 99$/400. Dont know anything about it though...

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/
I'm pretty sure that's Indian surplus, which you'll probably want to stay away from. There's been damage to enough guns, which wouldn't warrant the risk of shooting it.

DRH
01-18-2007, 5:14 PM
OFV is Ordnance Factory Varangaon, the Indian ammunition factory where they make .308 and 5.56 ammo. The ammo is ok for a 1919 with a 1/4" steel plate receiver box protecting you from harm, but in a normal rifle it could cause major damage to the weapon and your person.

scorpucla
01-18-2007, 9:32 PM
Here's another source for Winchester 7.62 http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_100&products_id=803

Not sure how much shipping is, but it's cheaper than midway's regular price.

natedogg1777
02-15-2007, 4:00 PM
I just picked up some Wolf 55 gr. HP 223 for $105/1000...not gonna tell where though!

fairfaxjim
02-15-2007, 8:59 PM
I just picked up some Wolf 55 gr. HP 223 for $105/1000...not gonna tell where though!
Thats okay with me - I don't use Wolf even if is is free - it is crap.

Gunsrruss
02-15-2007, 9:22 PM

You will no doubt experence cycling problems with the wolf. Also do not buy Olympic from Greece. We had trouble at the range just getting the case back out of the receiver

Jicko
02-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Time to start reloading!!!

I posted on another thread that you can load 1000 rounds of Mk262 like rounds for under $250!!! We are talking about Nosler or SMK 77gr HPBT!!

:-)

metalhead357
02-16-2007, 12:50 AM

LOL! I just had this conversation with another member on the phone! Wolf is wolf........ Its neither here nor there; its cheaper than LC and the rest and its cheaper for a reason.

Will it work? Yep. Will it have some problems....maybe. Is there better? Yep. Is there better for the same cash? nope.

And to be fair I did several mixed mag combos of some israelli 62 gr IIRC and wolf 55gr in the same mag in my (yes...registered) Bushy with only one FTE on the isralli and one FTfire on one wolf ~~~popped off about 400 of each.

My only complaint of wolf is that is soooooooooo freakin' dirty.

But hey--- thier X39 is fine by me;)

natedogg1777
02-16-2007, 11:48 AM

My good friend and I both have Superior OLL/ Stag upper AR's and I can tell you that out of hundreds of rounds fired I've had way more problems with my Radway Green surplus than the Wolf. If I was shooting in match tournaments then I would certainly spend the extra money, but for bottles and cans who cares! Again, $105/1000 for Wolf or $300+/1000 for milsurp? You can't tell me that XM193 is worth 3 times the money for plinking out at the family ranch!

Nathan

stuckin
02-18-2007, 8:31 AM
i have found good deals at the gun shows. ammo is a lot to ship and can find it at the same prices as on the net and u get to skip and prices of mailing it and waiting for the mail man. also i have always like to pay cash and not have any info on how much ammo i have bough. never sure whos watching this stuff and how close.
stuck

Whitesmoke
02-18-2007, 5:45 PM
My good friend and I both have Superior OLL/ Stag upper AR's and I can tell you that out of hundreds of rounds fired I've had way more problems with my Radway Green surplus than the Wolf. If I was shooting in match tournaments then I would certainly spend the extra money, but for bottles and cans who cares! Again, $105/1000 for Wolf or $300+/1000 for milsurp? You can't tell me that XM193 is worth 3 times the money for plinking out at the family ranch!

Nathan

Well...unless your going to share your source of $105 wolf...then you are almost the only guy that can get it for that price. It's $160-165 everwhere else.

I personally have never had a problem with .223 wolf.....not a single miss fire, etc.

!@#$
02-18-2007, 6:00 PM

alright make with the contact info.

slick_711
02-18-2007, 6:19 PM
.223 has gone up, it's a fact, the Iraq war is eating up some of it, and metal prices have gone up of their own accord anyway. It's unfortunate for us, but the best we can do is find the best deals we can.

I picked up 500 rds. of LC SS109 today at the gun show for $139. Considering I pay just $20 less for the same amount of AE223 at work I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

I have some Wolf sitting around, and haven't personally had any issues with it, but I love my rifle so much, and have heard so many horror stories, that I rarely shoot that stuff. But it is indeed the cheapest stuff out there, so for plinking and what not, it's hard to beat it.

Your best bet is indeed the gun shows, or occasionally an online sale but thats unreliable.

daskraut
02-19-2007, 3:33 AM
Indian 70's production is just fine, I have shot over 1K rounds of it through my M1A and it works great. Only the 90's prod is possibly scary.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-19-2007, 5:45 AM

DON'T BE LIKE THAT ! ;)

CMON! at least PM the guys who want it...I'll shoot it in my AR occasionally, plus my buddy has a SU-16 that screams for Wolf.

Omega13device
02-19-2007, 7:55 AM
Prices for .308...not updated every day but it's an ok source: http://rifle-company.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=431

Also FYI Ammoman has Federal American Eagle 150gr FMJ $279/500 including shipping, which ain't bad in this market.

donger
02-19-2007, 9:19 AM
Stock up on ammo when it's available.

The prices I see now make me happy that I picked up a couple of cans of SA at $200 shipped. I went to check on my supply and noted that I still have 12 battle packs.

Omega13device
02-19-2007, 11:29 AM
FWIW, I sent an email off to Federal Cartridge asking whether the Iraq war is the cause of the supply issues. Here's the response I got.

Iraq influences it greatly.

We run 24/7 and so does the Lake City arsenal.

We are also very busy just making commercial items. .223 is a huge seller.

I also asked if the government has contracts that allow it to tie up large portions of their production in wartime but he said he couldn't get into that. Wouldn't be surprised if they have some kind of arrangement like that though (I would).

Grakken
02-19-2007, 1:06 PM
.223 has gone up, it's a fact, the Iraq war is eating up some of it, and metal prices have gone up of their own accord anyway. It's unfortunate for us, but the best we can do is find the best deals we can.

I picked up 500 rds. of LC SS109 today at the gun show for $139. Considering I pay just $20 less for the same amount of AE223 at work I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

I have some Wolf sitting around, and haven't personally had any issues with it, but I love my rifle so much, and have heard so many horror stories, that I rarely shoot that stuff. But it is indeed the cheapest stuff out there, so for plinking and what not, it's hard to beat it.

Your best bet is indeed the gun shows, or occasionally an online sale but thats unreliable.

Prices for metals are coming down so how come the ammo is going up? It's called capitalism. Not bashing, just giving my .02.

Ratters
02-19-2007, 2:32 PM
Demand has become very high on the civilian front as well. The AR has really taken off over the last three years, just look at the growth of the oll in California, not to mention the size of ar15.com in those few years. That's a lot of new people buying ammo. You used to be able to show up at a gun show whenever and still get good deals on ammo, now you gotta be there at 9am Saturday to get the good deals before they sell out.

So all you jerks out there stop buying my ammo. :p