PDA

View Full Version : offset mounting a red top on a sig 556 with a 1-4x scope

mtenenhaus
08-16-2011, 7:44 PM
I'm planning to mount an offset aimpoint h1 red dot on my sig 556. it already has a leatherwood 1-4x cmr scope on it. any suggestions re: mount. The reason i ask is that the charging handle comes pretty far back. I'd prefer not to mount the red dot too far forward on the handgrips if at all possible. thanks

zombiescanlearn
08-21-2011, 10:38 PM
for my Sig 556 Swat, I have a burris mini red dot in combination with my Nikon rifle scope. I didn't use an offset mount for the burris, I went with one that had red dot sitting right on top of the Nikon scope. That worked well for me because of the Sig's charging handle. I'm not sure how small your aimpoint is. So, that may not work for you.

jonnietyler
08-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Matt Burkett offset mount is a high-end option:
http://www.predatortactical.com/Optics-Sights-Mounts/GEN-2-Burkett-OffSet-Mount-Aimpoint-T1-p383.html

I have a $12 NCStar 45degree offset mount that works well with my cheap Barska 4x scope (but needed a riser for correct height). However, the NCSTAR mount didn't work with my more expensive SWFA 1-4x (ocular bell was too big).

brando
08-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Out of curiosity, why add an RDS when you already have a 1-4x? It's more common to do that when optics with a higher initial magnification like 3x. Not being critical, just curious what your thought process is on it.

uscbigdawg
08-22-2011, 2:56 AM
brando,

I have a RDS on my 3-Gun rifle that has a 1-4x only because if the stage is a burner, I can acquire targets much faster with the dot (C-More) than I can with the scope at 1x out of it being a larger and more familiar dot reticle for close in (0-75 yards) since it's what's on my pistol; plus Open division allows for it.

That said, I agree with you that for most, if you're running a 1-4x with a cat tail, there's likely no need for a red dot after that.

Rich