PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bolt-action .308

vf116
08-16-2011, 4:13 PM
Hello everyone. I am looking into buying a new bolt-action .308 for under $700

So far I have seen Savage, Thompson, Remington and Howa. I would prefer it
to come with a scope.

Does any one have any other recommendations? or comments on one you own.

99% of the time it would be used to blast paper.

brando
08-16-2011, 4:26 PM
There needs to be sticky for this question.

$700 is really low for a precision rifle budget. I'm assuming you want a precision .308WIN rifle because you mentioned requiring a scope. $700 should get you a classic Rem700 or Savage to start with, but skimping on the scope is a big mistake. If anything it will make learning how to do precision shooting that much harder.

You get what you pay for and that doesn't mean go out drop $3500 on a custom rifle and another $3000 on a highend scope, but I would recommend saving up a bit more so that you get something decent.

DirtRacer151
08-16-2011, 4:32 PM
There needs to be sticky for this question.

$700 is really low for a precision rifle budget. I'm assuming you want a precision .308WIN rifle because you mentioned requiring a scope. $700 should get you a classic Rem700 or Savage to start with, but skimping on the scope is a big mistake. If anything it will make learning how to do precision shooting that much harder.

You get what you pay for and that doesn't mean go out drop $3500 on a custom rifle and another $3000 on a highend scope, but I would recommend saving up a bit more so that you get something decent.

^ agreed

Plan to spend at least $700 additional for optics, rings, and a base.

What do you plan to do with this rifle? 100yd paper killer or LR rig?

X-NewYawker
08-16-2011, 5:21 PM
Hoplite, Inc. My favorite Ad in SHOTGUN NEWS. To wit:
Remington 700 Police (308) $799 + Leupold 4.5-14X $699 + mount $89 = bare minimum to make an accurate tactical rifle with room for expansion (ie., modifications) later. Gun has HS stock with aluminum bedding block. Leupold Mar 4 LR/T scope.

learn to shoot with this. You buy a $700 package (Weatherby, etc.) and you will want to move up later and have to sell that gun and crappy scope., etc.

brando can tell you, this kind of shooting takes determination and practice and the right equipment. You have to start right or you will get frustrated and stop.

HBchevelle68
08-16-2011, 5:43 PM
I agree with everyone.

I just recently asked a question very similar to you. After doing research i realized how you will really get what you pay for in the precision world

So i went with a Remington 700 Police (price above is wrong its more like $850-$899) + Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA ($450) + Harris 6"-9" bipod ($69) = about $1400 (not including any taxes or transfer fees or DROS)

so after fees its gonna be around 1500 maaayyybe 1600, and this is a very good begginer set-up. I am very happy with it and suggest it for anyone looking to get into this type of shooting

HBchevelle68
08-16-2011, 5:44 PM
Oh I also forgot rings and mounts so add anywhere from $50-$70 to that price :D

Bug Splat
08-16-2011, 5:48 PM
It can be done. Base Savage 10/11/12 or Tikka will work great. If you are just punching paper I see no reason to blow a bunch of money up front. You can always upgrade stock, trigger, rings rail and scope later. I've beat guys with $3000 rifles in benchrest matches with a $700 build. Not typical results but a budget build can shoot great. ;)

ZX-10R
08-16-2011, 5:49 PM
$700 is not enough...I am already planning my build M700 of FCP-K. I have thought that when done I should be around (without fees and tax) over $2200.

Donk310
08-16-2011, 5:50 PM
Nah… I've got no comments or recommendations to make.

Norsemen308
08-16-2011, 6:10 PM
700 vtr or sps...never look back,

brando
08-16-2011, 6:40 PM
Again, to reiterate, you don't have to break the bank to get a precision bolt gun setup, but there is a minimum standard that you should not go below. In fact, for everyone new to the game I just recommend a factory Rem700 or Savage and a decent 3-15x optic with mildot reticle, get rings when you order the scope and a Harris bipod. That can be had for $1800-2500 and be a solid rig to start with.

Remember: you will spend more than that on ammo and training.

There's really no point in getting a $3500 custom rifle because you're new to precision shooting and generally operating with less information than an expert - so you don't know before hand what you like, what works best for you and what you ultimately need (and want). Get a factory rifle because within the first year or two of consistent practice you should be able to shoot to the physical limits of the rifle. At that point, you may want to experiment with a different caliber such as .260REM or .300WM and you can replace the rifle with something built to more exacting standards.

This is also why you don't skimp on the optic. When the new rifle arrives you just take it off the old rifle which can now go for sale or you may hang onto it for nostalgia (I still have my first R700).

A mildot optic is important to start with because one of the first things you will learn in a precision rifle class is how to accurately compute unknown distance using the reticle. This can be done with a variety of reticles these days, but the mildot is the simple standard. Do not be deceived into thinking you can do this with a cheap hunting scope with duplex reticle.

Training is important too, and often overlooked. Take a weekend class or do one of the CAPRC clinics to get an introduction to the basics of using a scope, dialing elevation and windage, reading wind, understanding environmental conditions, estimating distance, let alone proper marksmanship techniques that you may not be familiar with now that you've got to look through a scope. You will save yourself LOTS of time and money by going this route vs learning on your own.

Lastly, buy good ammo. Just bite the bullet and get a case of Federal Gold Medal Match 175 - it will last you a long time and is a good standard to start with. If you use the cheap stuff you will get frustrated as you gain experience but can't seem to shrink the size of the groups. If you're shooting quality match ammo, you know it's most likely you that prevents the groups from shrinking.

Oh and have fun - precision shooting is intensely fun and rewarding, especially when you start stretching the distances out.

vf116
08-16-2011, 7:34 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! I liked the 700 today when I went down there, just not the weight of the police model.

What do you plan to do with this rifle? 100yd paper killer or LR rig?

I am planning on starting with 100yds and going out as far as I can, then if an opportunity comes up to hunt that would be the rifle I take.

1surfguy
08-16-2011, 7:47 PM
I know this is a bit over the budget parameter but it's such a cool rifle. Turner's has them on sale for $799.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

See Page 36 of 40 in the Turner's catalog
http://www.turners.com/engage/displayad-2011_fall_flyer.php

toby
08-16-2011, 7:49 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! I liked the 700 today when I went down there, just not the weight of the police model.

I am planning on starting with 100yds and going out as far as I can, then if an opportunity comes up to hunt that would be the rifle I take.

Your $700 as MENTIONED can get you the rifle and optic you desire, You can then upgrade the optics if you think you need to at a later time. Look at the ''Howa'' line and the ''Weatherby Vanguard'' line, The ''Savage'' is a great choice as well just not the cheaper ''Axis'' line, One last but a good choice would be the T/C "Venture" it even has 5-R rifling, if your into the Hype on that?

idbstyler
08-16-2011, 8:01 PM
What about the Remington 700 sps and sps tactical? There both under $700 before dros and taxes. Start with that and get a good scope.

Mstnpete
08-16-2011, 8:04 PM
Tikka T3 Lite in 308 are great and accurate rifles out of the box. Best place I have seen pricing is at Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster.
With a very good crisp trigger. And you can get them under $600.00.

And are made by Sako rifles.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=tikka+t3+lite+in+308&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3241003690926161673&sa=X&ei=cj1LTv6uBOOesQKk0-TcCA&ved=0CCsQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

vf116
08-16-2011, 8:05 PM
Your $700 as MENTIONED can get you the rifle and optic you desire, You can then upgrade the optics if you think you need to at a later time. Look at the ''Howa'' line and the ''Weatherby Vanguard'' line, The ''Savage'' is a great choice as well just not the cheaper ''Axis'' line, One last but a good choice would be the T/C "Venture" it even has 5-R rifling, if your into the Hype on that?

I noticed the Howa M1500 in the Turners ad that surfguy posted and that's what got me down to Turners today. Thats really the main reason I started this thread. Seems like a few people agree that I should save up a bit more. Eventually I do want a precision rifle, so I think I will save up for a little longer at least I will be able to research a bit more.

Mstnpete
08-16-2011, 8:15 PM
My Tikka T3 Lite does dime size grouping at 100 yards using cheap ammo.
And the rifle is very light weight. I also own Remington VTR 700 in 308.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f245/amgguy/A8J9NRWNVD.jpg

Mstnpete
08-16-2011, 8:21 PM
Are you using the rifle for hunting or just bench shooting?

vf116
08-16-2011, 8:23 PM
Bench shooting, but if I get a chance to hunt this would be the one I use.

Mstnpete
08-16-2011, 8:27 PM
Bench shooting, but if I get a chance to hunt this would be the one I use.

Just word of advice, Remington's are great rifles as well but stay away from any SPS or Tactical models. They are great for bench shooting but when you have to lag it around the entire day when hunting ...forget it... too freaking heavy! 12 lb rifle without any scope yet.

Just my 2 cents. I do hunt and have tried it as well.

Iggy
08-16-2011, 8:28 PM
Another vote for Tikka.

S dot
08-16-2011, 8:31 PM
Been lusting for Tikka T3 myself....

DirtRacer151
08-16-2011, 8:31 PM
I'm a die hard Remington 700 fan but i must say nothing has ever shot out of the box as well as my Tikkas have.

vf116
08-16-2011, 8:32 PM
Just word of advice, Remington's are great rifles as well but stay away from any SPS or Tactical models. They are great for bench shooting but when you have to lag it around the entire day when hunting ...forget it... too freaking heavy! 12 lb rifle without any scope yet.

Just my 2 cents. I do hunt and have tried it as well.

How do you like your VTR compaired to your Tikka T3?

vf116
08-16-2011, 8:33 PM
Another vote for Tikka.

Been lusting for Tikka T3 myself....

I'm a die hard Remington 700 fan but i must say nothing has ever shot out of the box as well as my Tikkas have.

Hmmmmmm......

Mstnpete
08-16-2011, 8:39 PM
How do you like your VTR compaired to your Tikka T3?

I like them both. But I was very impressed with the Tikka.
The Remington 700 VTR has a xmark pro trigger on it... out of the box it pulled around 8-9 lbs. The Tikka around 5 lbs and was very crisp no adjustments needed. The grouping on the Tikka was outstanding compared to the Remington VTR. And I used the same scope on both rifles.

Remington VTR 700 weighs about 8 lbs.
Tikka T3 Lite about 5-6lbs.

joefreas
08-16-2011, 8:45 PM
Look at the Big 5 specials many come with scopes.

vf116
08-16-2011, 8:49 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!!

Wnick308
08-16-2011, 8:52 PM
Get a Savage! They have some good combo packages at a good price and then you can up grade from there if you want to/need to.
But I would suggest getting a Savage 10 FP or a Rem 700 Police or SPS and build it to your specific needs and looks. Might take longer but you get what you pay for.

Mstnpete
08-16-2011, 8:57 PM
PM Sent.

Mstnpete
08-16-2011, 9:06 PM
BTW: the bolt action on the Tikka is as smooth as butter.
On my Remington VTR bolt was painted and felt gritty. Gone were those days when Remington Bolts felt like butter.

locosway
08-16-2011, 9:06 PM
Hello everyone. I am looking into buying a new bolt-action .308 for under $700

So far I have seen Savage, Thompson, Remington and Howa. I would prefer it
to come with a scope.

Does any one have any other recommendations? or comments on one you own.

99% of the time it would be used to blast paper.

If you're going to hunt at close range, a factory installed scope would work fine. If you just want a rifle that's louder and more expensive than your AR, the factory scope will work fine.

If you're looking to get the most accuracy out of the rifle, expect the scope to cost more than your budget.

Savage, Remington, Howa, and others are all great rifles. Some perform better than others right out of the box. And still others have more features, while the rest might have more accessories.

So, if you're looking to punch paper at 50-100 yards and you're on a tight budget, I'd say to get a rimfire and call it a day. Rimfire scopes cost less money (generally) and are usually pretty good (generally). Ammo is cheaper too so you'll be able to practice more.

Iggy
08-16-2011, 9:08 PM
Hmmmmmm......

This:

http://iggycorp.com/gun/tikkat3ctr.jpg

Shot this:

http://iggycorp.com/gun/tikkagroup.jpg

08-16-2011, 9:29 PM
+1 for Tikka.

utahraptor
08-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Savage 10FP

locosway
08-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Man, I fondled a Savage 12 Palma today... Wow, what an awesome rifle...

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12%20PALMA

Merc1138
08-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Decent shooter on a budget, Tikka. However that $700 isn't going to get you much of a scope to go with it. Save some more cash and increase your budget. Saving more ain't a big deal since you're going to eventually be spending money on ammo anyway.

Baga
08-17-2011, 11:41 PM
If you are patient and wait a little, Big5 has a sale every-week. One week I ran into the Remington 700 .308 rifle with scope package for $549. It's a great deal for a combo out of the box. But if you want something better, I would suggest to save.

bsg
08-18-2011, 1:20 AM
If you are patient and wait a little, Big5 has a sale every-week. One week I ran into the Remington 700 .308 rifle with scope package for $549. It's a great deal for a combo out of the box. But if you want something better, I would suggest to save.

very reasonable imo.

Rekrab
08-18-2011, 2:55 AM
I've only gotten to take it out once... But my Savage 16 is really nice.

UltraLNW
08-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Why don't you build something and tailor it to what you want?

I have had three Remington bolt guns; an SPS-V in .223 with 26" bull barrel; a 700 barreled action in an AICS stock; and my current rifle, a Remington 722 in .308 with a B&C stock.

My favorite? My current one, as I built it from the ground up. I did some research and discovered that the modern 700 is the same as the 721/722 series. Remington called long action rifles 721 and short action 722. In the mid-1960s, they merged the two together into the 700 series. There are minor differences between the 72x and 700, but virtually everything that will fit on a 700 will fit on a 72x without issue.

I paid $300 for my 722 in .300 Savage. I bought a new 20" SPS Tactical heavy barrel from a Calgunner for $80. I bought a 10 MOA Warne picatinny rail from Turner's for $80. I paid $410 for a Bell and Carlson A5 from Shooter's Discount. I paid Randall (aka AR15Barrels) $200 to install the new barrel, a new lug, and thread and install a muzzle brake.

Total spent was $970, and she's a beaut. Big bonus - the rifle was a C&R, so no 10 day wait, no DROS. The action slides like hot butter across a frying pan. Stock is a joy to fondle. I just sold my scope, but when I had one and was shooting it, I left the range each time with a big fat smile.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/brandjury/7223.jpg

Coyotegunner
08-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Have you considered used?I was in Drews gunshop(Victorville) a couple weeks ago.He had a private party deal.Savage with the muzzle brake,Accutrigger.The new style gun that sells for about $800.These are nice rifles.OH,and it had a Nikon Monarch 4-16 mounted that went with it.Note to self and others.Own 5 Tikkas(they are wonderful).Last 2 Remington 700s,spent 4-6 hours polishing parts to void warranty and make the bolt and other parts work smooth.Rem X trigger is still not adjustable below 4 lbs.Trigger is not servicable.