PDA

View Full Version : Middies still cool??

CK_32
08-16-2011, 4:13 PM
Havnt been seeing too many people talk about middies anymore.

I just traded off my bcm upper and am now in the market for one again.

Not sure if this time I want to get a middy or go back to a carbine. Middies still hit and cool these days or have they become old news? Haha

Gatta stay fly with the times :D

$P-Ritch$
08-16-2011, 4:19 PM
I just built my own midlength upper and my 16" Noveske is a middy as well. I couldn't be happier with the both of them.

chead
08-16-2011, 4:21 PM
As opposed to what, CAR or Full-length? We sure as heck aren't going shorter here in CA. Do what feels good, man :)

CK_32
08-16-2011, 4:23 PM
Yea I'm either going middy or get another carbine. Just not sure which one I want yet.

CK_32
08-16-2011, 4:25 PM
Also anyone have any word on when bravo company is going to stock up again..?

They have been out of stock for months.

CSACANNONEER
08-16-2011, 4:26 PM
Go with a carbie. Middies are so over done and fullies are too old skool. While you're at it, you might want to get a new shottie too.

GMG
08-16-2011, 4:27 PM
If the middies are out of style, I guess I am too.

$P-Ritch$
08-16-2011, 4:28 PM
Go with a carbie. Middies are so over done and fullies are too old skool. While you're at it, you might want to get a new shottie too.

^lolie

evidens83
08-16-2011, 4:30 PM

LMAO that was good :D OP go with what you like not what you think is the "in".

thegamettt
08-16-2011, 4:32 PM
I bought a middy before i even knew there were different sizes lol. Luckily it was the best fit for me.

CK_32
08-16-2011, 4:37 PM
LMAO that was good :D OP go with what you like not what you think is the "in".

That's the thing I loved my carbine but did notice my arm is just a little too long to fully extend.

Reason I'm considering a middy but havnt ever shot or held one.. So I know I love the carbine. But don't want to get the middy and not like it.

But I have heard of the perks and benefits and wouldn't mind the extra realistate with the midlength rail.

And I want to be sure they are still in to hold it's value if I'm not into the middy set up and end up selling it off.

evidens83
08-16-2011, 4:45 PM
After owning both, the only difference I've noticed is the extra rail space. Performance wise, my carbine is as reliable as the mid length.

Barbarossa
08-16-2011, 4:46 PM

Psst OP... Your nomenclature is being mocked.

:D

Get a middy up in hizzy. Yo.

RONIN.
08-16-2011, 4:54 PM
From what I have heard, BCM is waiting on barrels..

ronin.

Z.1
08-16-2011, 5:08 PM
Theres lots of upside and very little downside to a midlength IMO (maybe a tiny bit heavier if you throw on a quad rail)

IPSICK
08-16-2011, 5:18 PM
After owning both, the only difference I've noticed is the extra rail space. Performance wise, my carbine is as reliable as the mid length.

Is the recoil the same as well?

I've heard you should use the longest gas system your length barrel will run reliably for a softer recoil impulse.

MTG Firearms
08-16-2011, 5:22 PM
Go with a mid-length.

MTG Firearms
08-16-2011, 5:23 PM
Is the recoil the same as well?

I've heard you should use the longest gas system your length barrel will run reliably for a softer recoil impulse.

This is correct providing everything else is equal.

mlevans66
08-16-2011, 5:41 PM
Midlength for me. Less recoil and I like the may mine looks. Had a carbine didn't like the barrel sticking out like that. Also when did mid length go out of season? I thought we where done with carbine and are just getting the 14in barrels with 2in comps.

jumbopanda
08-16-2011, 5:42 PM
Midlength all the way. Softer recoil, longer sight radius, and more handguard space.

Kingpin.SC
08-16-2011, 5:46 PM
I love my mid-length. My brother swears that he feels less of a "kick" from my mid vs his carbine, and I agree to an extent. His rifle's impulse feels like it is the slightest bit sharper than mine.

Calgunner217
08-16-2011, 5:46 PM
There is only one solution to your dilemma. You are going to have to get them all! Embrace the BRD!:D

John Browning
08-16-2011, 5:54 PM
Chalk me up in the not a fan of the mid-length crowd.

Yes, the recoil impulse is less if everything else is equal. However, I'm a grown-*** man and the recoil of a gas-operated 5.56 doesn't bother me, so that isn't really a big deal. I've never come home after putting 1k rounds in a few days through any AR and thought, "man this thing sure does beat me up." I also don't have a full auto, so the reduced recoil doesn't help me there, either.

I do love to blast cheap ammo. Carbine length gas systems are much less particular about ammo (like underpowered Wolf .223) than mid-length guns. For me, it is pretty hard to beat the reliability of a 14.5in carbine length upper. They simply eat everything. I never notice recoil, but constantly clearing jams because a rifle won't eat my cheap blasting ammo can really ruin a day of fun.

To put it in the vernacular of the interwebz, getz the carbie, cuz the middies ain't be all dat n'a bag 'o chipz. Hide yo kidz, hide yo wive, and hide yo husband cuz the carbie rapin everybody up in here.

Kingpin.SC
08-16-2011, 6:15 PM
To put it in the vernacular of the interwebz, getz the carbie, cuz the middies ain't be all dat n'a bag 'o chipz. Hide yo kidz, hide yo wive, and hide yo husband cuz the carbie rapin everybody up in here.

:eek: Oh no you di' 'int!

CK_32
08-16-2011, 8:55 PM

Alright cool good to know thanks

From what I have heard, BCM is waiting on barrels..

ronin.

Ohhh thats a bust. Yea I heard they were switching to DD barrels. Reason I didnt mind letting it go.

Theres lots of upside and very little downside to a midlength IMO (maybe a tiny bit heavier if you throw on a quad rail)

I think the extra weight would be worth the hand space you get

Midlength for me. Less recoil and I like the may mine looks. Had a carbine didn't like the barrel sticking out like that. Also when did mid length go out of season? I thought we where done with carbine and are just getting the 14in barrels with 2in comps.

Idk they didnt.. thats why Im asking haha just seen a a*s ton of look at my new middy posts and now I havnt seen one in months hahah I guess were all AR'd out.

Midlength all the way. Softer recoil, longer sight radius, and more handguard space.

Alright sounds like I may be getting a middy :D

Yes, the recoil impulse is less if everything else is equal. However, I'm a grown-*** man and the recoil of a gas-operated 5.56 doesn't bother me, so that isn't really a big deal. I've never come home after putting 1k rounds in a few days through any AR and thought, "man this thing sure does beat me up." I also don't have a full auto, so the reduced recoil doesn't help me there, either.

I do love to blast cheap ammo. Carbine length gas systems are much less particular about ammo (like underpowered Wolf .223) than mid-length guns. For me, it is pretty hard to beat the reliability of a 14.5in carbine length upper. They simply eat everything. I never notice recoil, but constantly clearing jams because a rifle won't eat my cheap blasting ammo can really ruin a day of fun.

Its not we cant handle but every little big helps. Why not be shooting a BB gun when your actually shooting a 5.56.

GASP!!!! Now I can breath hahaha

dieselpower
08-16-2011, 9:20 PM
Dissy's are making a come back as well. BCM will be offering both a Mid-Dissy and a carbine Dissy soon. Spikes just came out with theirs, CMMG has had great sales of theirs.

I like carbine gas. I can feed my AR any ammo, I am not a 12 year old girl complaining about a .223 kick. I will be converting my HBAR to carbine/dissy when I get a chance...maybe in a few months.

chead
08-16-2011, 9:34 PM
Unless you can SBR it, why would you get a CAR length?

CK_32
08-16-2011, 9:40 PM
Dissy's are making a come back as well. BCM will be offering both a Mid-Dissy and a carbine Dissy soon. Spikes just came out with theirs, CMMG has had great sales of theirs.

I like carbine gas. I can feed my AR any ammo, I am not a 12 year old girl complaining about a .223 kick. I will be converting my HBAR to carbine/dissy when I get a chance...maybe in a few months.

I'm not complaining about kick I just want a more stable plat form if possible. Why fly a plane when you can fly a jet. And WTF is a dissy?

Unless you can SBR it, why would you get a CAR length?

I can SBR but don't really care for SBRs. Not enough performance difference for the work.

Cokebottle
08-16-2011, 9:49 PM
14.5" (pinned to 16") middy here..... Love it.
Consistent ejection at 4:30 every time in a neat little pile.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110637&stc=1&d=1313556579

Cokebottle
08-16-2011, 9:52 PM
That sounds like a contradiction in terms.

I thought a Dissy was a sub-20" barrel with a rifle length gas system... or are you referring to an 18" as "mid" and 16" as "Carbine"?

INDABZ
08-16-2011, 10:00 PM
That sounds like a contradiction in terms.

I thought a Dissy was a sub-20" barrel with a rifle length gas system... or are you referring to an 18" as "mid" and 16" as "Carbine"?

Maybe a 20" HandGuard and Sight radius with a carbine gas system is how the first Bushmasters were.....

So you could have a middie or a carbine gas system with Dissapator.....

triggs75
08-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Middie all the way. Next one for me is a mock dissy middie length style

Chad

deez
08-16-2011, 10:45 PM
And WTF is a dissy?

Dissipator

cjskalka
08-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Saying middy is uncool.

Dreaded Claymore
08-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Yes, mid-length carbines are still cool. Protip: Rifle-length is even cooler. In my opinion.

Javi
08-16-2011, 10:56 PM
14.5" (pinned to 16") middy here..... Love it.
Consistent ejection at 4:30 every time in a neat little pile.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110637&stc=1&d=1313556579

Nicee, my build will be kinda similar. Mid-length umm..think I decided on a 13" TRX Extreme with a 16" barrel.

CK_32
08-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Dissipator

Oh sh*t! :eek:

Thats freaking crazy. Never heard or seen one of those before.

djleisure
08-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Dissys, Middies, Carbines, pssh they're all passť now! I've moved on to extended-length rifles, or "Extendies". They have 28" barrels and 22" gas systems and they are sooooo controllable, it's like shooting with a farting cat.

OutlawDon
08-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Get what is practical and functional, not because it's cool.

Middies are still great but all the hype has definitely chilled out.

Carbines, middies, rifle lengths....if it runs, that's all that matters. It's a 5.56...baby round.

jimmykan
08-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Dissys, Middies, Carbines, pssh they're all passť now! I've moved on to extended-length rifles, or "Extendies". They have 28" barrels and 22" gas systems and they are sooooo controllable, it's like shooting with a farting cat.

Is this for real?

I would love to shoot cat farts.

CK_32
08-17-2011, 12:37 AM
Get what is practical and functional, not because it's cool.

Middies are still great but all the hype has definitely chilled out.

Carbines, middies, rifle lengths....if it runs, that's all that matters. It's a 5.56...baby round.

I just want to make sure it has some popularity if I decide to sell if it doesnt fit me. Only reason I want it is so I can extend my arm a little more.

OutlawDon
08-17-2011, 12:43 AM
I just want to make sure it has some popularity if I decide to sell if it doesnt fit me. Only reason I want it is so I can extend my arm a little more.

Middies will always have a little more pizzazz so you have nothing to worry about as far as resell value and interest.

As for extending the arm, you can always build a carbine length with a low pro gas block and have a long rail. Of course, if you're wanting to run a front sight base, then yes, a middy will have a longer reach. Better yet if, do a dissy.

Here's my carbine length with 13" TRX rail...plenty of space to reach your arm out...

http://healthbydon.com/bedroomtoys.jpg

ICHIYA TRAINING CONCEPTS
08-17-2011, 2:10 AM
Middies will always be cool..

Kingpin.SC
08-17-2011, 2:23 AM
http://healthbydon.com/bedroomtoys.jpg

IKEA Malm bedroom set FTW!! :D

CSI304
08-17-2011, 3:14 AM
I would go with Mid-length, the recoil is softer. I've tried all three lengths, mid-length are great, rifle-length is greater :)

You can hide a low-profile gas block under a 13 inch FF handguards, a mid-length or car-length will work. less recoil for
mid-length, and it exactly the same!

Time of Flight
08-17-2011, 3:49 AM
So is carbine length really more reliable?

I have heard that carbine length starts to move the bolt out of battery to quickly (when the brass is still expanded in the chamber) and can lead to malfunctions.

Whats the scoop?

CSI304
08-17-2011, 5:52 AM
There are information on carbines, some old timers argue that ARs are not suppose to have short gas tubes (carbine). But then manufacturers go on to make even shorter gas tubes (pistol). They all work reliably, just buy from name brands and feed it decent ammo.

Generally speaking, shorter the gas tube more likely to encounter problems. short stroking, gas leak, and harder recoil (pistol) are common. DI AR pistols with 7.5inch barrel and pistol gas tube has ridiculus recoil! Budget AR pistols can randomly suffer heart attack/short stroking, and gas problems due to cheap fast food/bad ammunition.

straykiller
08-17-2011, 6:10 AM

this post if full of pure win. lmao

glock7
08-17-2011, 6:11 AM

word yo!

dieselpower
08-17-2011, 6:36 AM

I have heard that carbine length starts to move the bolt out of battery to quickly (when the brass is still expanded in the chamber) and can lead to malfunctions.

Whats the scoop?

That is true. On the 11", 14.5 SBR and the 16" the dwell and tap-off is very close to the stoppage point. Many people don't like to run their firearms that close. The thing is once you have a carbine gas running properly, its not a real problem unless you go full auto. Then the heat, movement and trapped gasses add to the problem causing stoppage. There are thousands of M4A1s and M4s in use around the world. Its NOT as big a deal as many haters will have you believe.

@ the guys asking about the dissys

Bushmasters first Dissapator was a Rifle gas/ 16" barrel with a large gas port. It wasn't designed well and was a jam-o-matic. They redesigned the port and buffer weight and now they are very stable. What came out of that was the Dissapator look. Manufacturers now offer rifles with full length handguards with a hidden gas block underneath. Some offer true Dissapators, some the fake ones.

I like the full length hand guards as it gives me more options for a hold and less unprotected barrel to burn my legs and hands.

heres some good pics
34 pages of Dissapator goodness LOL (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/509821_Dissipator_Picture___Discussion_Thread.html )

John Browning
08-17-2011, 6:42 AM

Whats the scoop?

Carbine length rifles are more reliable with the cheap, underpowered ammo. With a full auto carrier (more weight, nothing really to do with full auto) and an H buffer, my 14.5 in pinned is far and away the least ammo picky AR I have. Things that will choke my rifle-length and mid-length rifles always feed reliably in my carbine. They are less ammo sensitive to underpowered stuff, which is due to the shorter gas system and slightly more violent ejection/recoil.

The issue you're talking about with the bolt is something that only matters in a fully automatic rifle. The shorter the gas tube, the higher the cyclic rate. That can create timing issues, but I've only seen that happen in rifles that were lemons. A properly sized gas port with the correct buffer should make sure that everything runs as it should. Running a full-auto too fast can create problems. With a full auto carrier and a H buffer, the extra mass increases the time the bolt stays engaged by a hair and does help. Again, this is only an issue with a true machine gun.

The only thing that sucks about a carbine length system is the rail space, but that is easily fixable with low-pro gas blocks and free float rails.

CSACANNONEER
08-17-2011, 7:05 AM

Extendies? Don't they run late night commercials trying to sell these to poor guys who have insomnia?

patriot_man
08-17-2011, 7:47 AM
Go with a middy if you want low recoil and less gas port erosion.

triggs75
08-17-2011, 8:20 AM
Here is a mock dissy with mid-length gas system.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5950MOE&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Mid-Length+GMP+5.56%2f.223+Upper&groupid=55

Here is one that is carbine gas system

http://palmettostatearmory.com/2245.php

http://palmettostatearmory.com/images/2245.jpg

http://palmettostatearmory.com/images/2248.jpg

http://palmettostatearmory.com/images/2245b.jpg

Chad

IPSICK
08-17-2011, 8:35 AM
The reason I discuss recoil is not about how hard the gun kicks but how high or violently the muzzle rises and figuring out which system gets me back on target with sights on the fastest.

Grown-@zz man or not, my preferences are all about the shooting.

$P-Ritch$
08-17-2011, 9:01 AM
The reason I discuss recoil is not about how hard the gun kicks but how high or violently the muzzle rises and figuring out which system gets me back on target with sights on the fastest.

Grown-@zz man or not, my preferences are all about the shooting.

Agreed, if you think you are macho because you can handle all that extra punishment of a carbine gas system, then good for you. As IPSICK said, I am wanting the most control and as fast as possible follow up shots for my rifle. That is why I went with a 16" midlength upper and my next build I am going to try a 18.5" rifle length upper and see how soft it shoots.

crazy
08-17-2011, 9:59 AM
[Idk they didnt.. thats why Im asking haha just seen a a*s ton of look at my new middy posts and now I havnt seen one in months hahah I guess were all AR'd out.

Everyone is sitting on pins and needles to see what you next post will be.

bombadillo
08-17-2011, 10:12 AM
I'll stick with my carbine. More rail equals more weight and thats not what I'm looking for on a smaller gun like a KISS carbine.

762.DEFENSE
08-17-2011, 10:17 AM
My build in progress is a Middy, I love the Carbine length AR's, but something about the middy's just appeal to me so much more these days.

paintballdad
08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
My first AR build was a 16" carbine which i put together last year (this upper (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-16-M4-SOCOM-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-m4-16socom.htm)). I didn't even get to try it before deciding to switch out the upper to a 16" midlength (this one (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-VTAC-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20vtrx13.htm)). I finally shot it last month and was very happy with the results. It functioned flawlessly with Winchester, PMC & American Eagle 223 and Federal 5.56 ammo running a FA BCG and a H buffer. No regrets on going with the midlength (other than i should have picked it in the first place :o).

Midlengths are definitely cool but so are carbines. Still trying to decide what to do with the carbine upper :D.

Shenaniguns
08-17-2011, 10:54 AM

Whats the scoop?

Carbine gas may be more reliable with underpowered ammo then middy gas.

I'm pro-middy personally as I don't go out of my way to shoot underpowered ammo.

shark92651
08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
I'd love for the Carbines to come back in vogue. For awhile there we couldn't keep a midlength in stock and the Carbines were collecting dust!

Cokebottle
08-17-2011, 9:19 PM
There are information on carbines, some old timers argue that ARs are not suppose to have short gas tubes (carbine). But then manufacturers go on to make even shorter gas tubes (pistol). They all work reliably, just buy from name brands and feed it decent ammo.

Generally speaking, shorter the gas tube more likely to encounter problems. short stroking, gas leak, and harder recoil (pistol) are common. DI AR pistols with 7.5inch barrel and pistol gas tube has ridiculus recoil! Budget AR pistols can randomly suffer heart attack/short stroking, and gas problems due to cheap fast food/bad ammunition.
The length of the gas tube is only part of the problem.

There are three issues...
Gas tube length, barrel length before the gas port, and dwell time.
Dwell time is the amount of time the bullet spends in the barrel after it passes the gas port.

The 16" carbine is overgassed because of the extended dwell time.
Theoretically, 14.5" carbine, 16" middy, and 20" rifle length are "perfect" (with the proper buffer).
Advantage... with a standard FSB, a bayo will mount properly on any of those three (and only those three).

In actuality, the size of the gas port can be adjusted, the buffer weight can be changed, and the buffer spring can be changed.... so if your rifle is pitching brass at 1:00, you can go with a heavier buffer to bring it back to the 3:00-5:00 range.
Likewise, if you are short stroking and brass is hitting you in the face, a lighter buffer can help with that.

CK_32
08-17-2011, 9:26 PM
IKEA Malm bedroom set FTW!! :D

:rofl: :rofl:

mlevans66
08-17-2011, 9:41 PM
I'd love for the Carbines to come back in vogue. For awhile there we couldn't keep a midlength in stock and the Carbines were collecting dust!

You ain't kidding! It was like 3 to 6 month waits on mid length upper I was looking into the Adam Arms mids but they where on back order forever so I got a BCM instead. Haven't looked back since! :thumbsup:

ArmedDefense
08-17-2011, 9:59 PM

Dwell time is the amount of time the bullet spends in the barrel after it passes the gas port.

Theoretically, 14.5" carbine, 16" middy, and 20" rifle length are "perfect" (with the proper buffer).
Advantage... with a standard FSB, a bayo will mount properly on any of those three (and only those three).

In actuality, the size of the gas port can be adjusted, the buffer weight can be changed, and the buffer spring can be changed.... so if your rifle is pitching brass at 1:00, you can go with a heavier buffer to bring it back to the 3:00-5:00 range.
Likewise, if you are short stroking and brass is hitting you in the face, a lighter buffer can help with that.

That's the info I was looking for! With that said, it is up to personal preference. I like the 14.5", but did not want to be beating up the internals.

08-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Not sure if this time I want to get a middy or go back to a carbine. Middies still hit and cool these days or have they become old news? Haha

Where's Randall ?

Following are the charts which I extracted from Randall's website, showing how the gas length can affect the chamber pressure and dwell time. You can read more at Randall's website: http://ar15barrels.com/prod/operation.shtml

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/223plot.gif
http://ar15barrels.com/tech/pressure-time.gif

Personally, I'd go for carbine length if I choose SBR, pistol, or when I need room for a launcher. Otherwise, I'd go for longer gas length.

CSI304
08-17-2011, 10:31 PM

Understood, I guess it really comes down to wear and tear of the internals.

RRichie09
08-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Got my middy already. Gonna assemble a carbine next, followed by an A2 rifle length or would that be a fully.

08-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Understood, I guess it really comes down to wear and tear of the internals.

In Randall's words:

"The longer the gas system from the chamber, the smoother the gun runs, allowing for the fastest double-taps without the gun jumping off target."

Gryff
08-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Dissy's are making a come back as well.

I thought pissys were the latest thing.

dieselpower
08-17-2011, 11:18 PM
In Randall's words:

"The longer the gas system from the chamber, the smoother the gun runs, allowing for the fastest double-taps without the gun jumping off target."

Thats not quite right. The gas pressure has to be balanced with the mass of the BCG & Buffer, The torque required to unlock the Bolt lugs from the chamber lugs and the force of the Buffer spring. So just adding length to the gas tube doesn't = a smoother gun.... as many people and assemblers find out... a lot of the time it equals a "jam-O-matic rifle.

The 22, 24 and 26 rifles have very low recoil for what they shoot, but can be very picky eaters if the port is not adjusted for the extra dwell.

With the proper brake an 11" carbine has no jump and the recoil is very manageable for a person who is used to shooting it.

Watch Travis Haley. He is just as fast with his Mid-Dissy as he is with his Carbine and carbine-Dissy. This comes from doing something weird and strange with your rifle...shooting it. watch it... those are Mil-spec triggers on semi-automatics..not full autos or some drop in trigger systems.

This whole "lighter recoil" and junk is just talk. It has no real basis other than in the mind of guys who dont really shoot that much. Its a 5.56...not a 12ga.

5esr2vix6QI

Fiiyablade
08-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Still very cool

missiontrails
08-18-2011, 7:20 AM
I have have always built middy's and installed 12" or 13" rails... so now I figure, why not just do rifles and aside from getting more rail real estate, also get added benefit of rifle gas system and longer barrel.

zfields
08-18-2011, 7:25 AM
Its a 5.56...not a 12ga.

Finally, someone else that is sane.

n2stackin
08-18-2011, 8:22 AM
Nothing worse than buyers remorse. Buy once, cry once. Get what you want and call it a day.

BTW...I have a mid-length and love it.