PDA

View Full Version : Question about 922r?

ts
01-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Okay guys, I know that you have to have a certain number of USA made parts on a foreign non sporting rifle. But if the receiver is a American (Such as an AK with an Armory USA receiver) wouldn’t that be considered an American rifle? I think I might have this law a little backwards, anyone care to explain further?

Tony

bwiese
01-17-2007, 12:36 PM
No. This is another case where receiver does not equal gun.

Let's say you're building a FAL clone. (For the purposes of this discussion we wil ignore CA AW laws).

If you have a DSA receiver (US mfgd) and a surplus STG58 parts kit, you should still acquire & install 6 or 7 US-mfgd 'compliance' parts. The receiver is just one other part in the 922(r) / 27 CFR 478.39 list; using a US receiver just reduces your other required US parts down by one. (I do note that DSA also makes US-mfgd FAL lower receivers as well - using a DSA upper + lower receiver on a FAL build would really help reduce reliance on other small US mfgd parts).

jumbopanda
01-17-2007, 2:45 PM
The law says you cannot build any gun with more than 10 foreign made parts. It doesn't matter if the receiver is American, that's just one part. A common misconception is that you need a certain number of US parts when in reality, its the other way around and you can't have more than 10 foreign parts. One gun could have more parts than another and the 10 part limit would stay the same while the US part requirement would increase.

rorschach
01-17-2007, 2:50 PM
If a receiver is US made, that DOES count toward the US parts count though.

PLINK
01-17-2007, 3:08 PM
yes, it does count as one US part.

From ARF.

The 16 countable parts of an AK rifle. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported.

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
(8) Trigger
(9) Hammer
(10) Disconnecter
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

On a typical stamped receiver rifle you need to replace 5 parts with no muzzle attachment and 6 parts with a muzzle attachment.

On a typical milled recevier rifle you need to replace 4 parts with no muzzle attachment and 5 parts with a muzzle attachment, because there isn't a barrel trunion, it is part of the receiver.