PDA

View Full Version : how close to zero was your Eotech straight out of the box?

oversteerdawg
08-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Like the title says, how close to zero was your new Eotech straight out of the box?

SuperSet
08-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Not even close but it doesn't matter since you verify anyway. Are u running out of adjustments?

oversteerdawg
08-15-2011, 11:54 PM
Not even close but it doesn't matter since you verify anyway. Are u running out of adjustments?

I've yet to shoot it, wishful thinking that it'd be zeroed out of the box.

thevic
08-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Do you have iron sights? Cowitness to them (if your eotech isn't on a riser that is..). That will get you started

jimmykan
08-16-2011, 12:49 AM
Even if they did zero the sights at the factory, unless the rifle that the factory uses to zero the sight happens to have the exact same rail-bore alignment (yes I know they're both pointing "forward" but just one degree of difference between rail-axis and bore-axis translates to 60 inches deviation at 100 yards), you can't expect it to be zero'd for YOUR rifle straight out of the box.

That's like expecting a car to have all the mirrors, seat and steering wheel position already adjusted to your liking when it comes off the line. You might get lucky and the guy who does the final inspection checklist on your car is your identical twin.

The sights are probably shipped with the dials at mechanical center.

But you don't need to take it to the range to sight-in if you KNOW your iron sights are on. Just look through your iron sights and adjust the dials until the reticle co-witnesses with your point of aim.

xxINKxx
08-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Both my 512 and Xps-3.0 were spot on co-witness. Unpackaged it mounted it to my AR and set up a 1lb tannerite (size of a soda can) at about 75 yards. First shot went kaboom.

So yes. It was 100% spot on out of the box and Ive never touched the adjustment dials.

My aimpoint comp ml3 on the other hand was like 20 feet off.

This was on a flat top AR

BajaJames83
08-16-2011, 12:45 PM
It would be weapon dependent. Like someone already said it is entirely on the rail alingment with the bore. Im sure ones designed for specific rifles anf calibers might be on or close to but generally they would need to be zeroed specifically to the weapon.

SOMIS 13
08-23-2011, 1:44 PM
Do you have iron sights? Cowitness to them (if your eotech isn't on a riser that is..). That will get you started

this is what I did . worked great with my EXPS3-0, within 2 inches on paper at 50 yards. then fine tune it

GW
08-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Not very zeroed, but on paper at 100 yards. It only took a few shots to zero it

captbilly
08-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Even if we assume tha Eotech made an effort to guarantee that every holographic sight was set to point directly ahead of a perfectly machined rail, there is no way to know how it would aim on your rifle. There are many factors that will determine the bullet impact point on a particular rifle, that are simply out of the control of a sight manufacturer. The exact drilling and riflimg of thebarrel, the machinimg of the rail, the mounting of the barrel to the receiver, these are just a few of the things that will effect the impct point of a rifle relative to the sight aimpoint. It may still be interesting to note how often an Eotech (or any other sight) happens to actually zero on a paeticulat rifle, straight out of the box, but it won't have much to do with the sight maker.