View Full Version : TA11 vs TA31 >.< "There can be only one!"

08-15-2011, 8:34 PM

Ok, so please let me start off by saying, I've used the search button, on this, and the other major forums visited by AR/acog enthusiasts. I've read many threads that discuss this very dilemma (most with problemchild always pushing for the ta11 :) ), for almost 2 months now, but I still have these two optics neck and neck when it comes to my purpose and rifle.

My intent is to post what I've learned, hopefully get clarification and/or answers to questions I have not seen answers to. And hopefully, at the end (because I don't think I can make this decision on my own) have you guys decide for me with the poll attached to this thread (only somewhat joking about that, it could possibly come down to that).

The rifle this optic is for:
14.5 mid-length with fsb, its basically a noveske n4 skinny carbine with an omega9 and emod, here's a crap picture:
(not that it matters, but the vertical fore grip is probably coming off)

Here's what I've read as the pros/cons of the two optics

better eye relief which lends itself to other pros, being:
faster/easier to get your site picture
(I've also read that although this has slightly less magnification, the longer eye relief actually looks over the FSB on mid-lengths, where as you will see a faint shadow on the 4x acogs, can anyone confirm this?)
larger/heavier (2inches longer, 4oz heavier)
slightly less magnification
less FOV

slightly more magnification
more FOV
eye relief, and all that entails (opposite consequences as listed above)

ill admit that the ta31 is sexier, but function has to win out over looks... again usable, practical.

How i intend to use this rifle/optic:
Since my only other AR is setup for highpower competition shooting, this is my 'practical' rifle. it will mostly be just used for range shooting, where i usually enjoy hitting steel out past 100yrds and some paper at 100yrs. i dont really subscribe to the whole 'SHTF' gun, as no one can really agree as to what type of shooting that is, although I'd like this rifle to fit that role as well. and by that i mean, be versatile, maybe not great at any one given distance, but usable at all distances (within reason).

id appreciate any additional information and/or other factors I've completely missed that may have helped you make your decision. id appreciate it if people refrain from simply throwing out one over the other without giving some personal experience or reasons for their choice.

(edit: not sure if it matters, but the reticle would be red chevron, ta31f vs ta11f)

08-15-2011, 8:55 PM
it is no question the ta11 is the better acog.

if not for the military going with the ta31 it would not be close to as popular as it is.

08-15-2011, 8:58 PM
Since this is your plinking gun, I wouldn't recommend an ACOG. There are several optics that can be had cheaper and with more capabilities for less than an ACOG price.

08-16-2011, 12:46 AM
Can anyone speak to the issue of the FSB showing up in the sight picture. And how that will differ between the TA31 and TA11. I have not been able to find a sight picture of a TA11 mounted on a midlength with FSB but have read that the longer eye relief actually helps to completely look over the FSB, giving you an completely clear sight picture. As opposed to the ta31 which leaves a slight blur in the bottom 3rd of the picture, possibly more dominant/in focus on a midlength although i havent been able to confirm this (most of the pictures ive found online dont specify if its taken from a carbine length or midlength spaced fsb).

08-18-2011, 5:10 AM
Pictures actually never ever look the same as u would se if you were actually looking through the acog. Cameras seem to be able to focus in differently than the human eye. With the ta11 on a midlength fsb, at further eye relief distances you will see slight blurry fsb shadow, but if you move closer in, it goes away completely. When i looled thru a ta31 on a middy, the fsb was always slightly visible in its eye relif range, but not in the way.

It is also my opinion that the ta11 looks bigger in pictures than in real life. I went with ta11 on a 16" middy.

08-18-2011, 6:08 AM
At the range in the sun, the fsb is slightly more noticable at the distances u can see it in. I went with the ta11 for the verstility of having a better eye relief range. I can get pretty close up or pretty far away from the lense and still have a useable sight picture. The problem now is, i want more than one acog. Id also like a ta33. Haha.

08-18-2011, 8:37 AM
Thanks evo, the ta11 is starting to make the most sense. The extra size sucks but everything else considered, it seems like the more balanced/versatile optic.

Knowing that the fsb on my setup will be slightly less visible w/ the ta11 reinforces that decision.

08-18-2011, 8:58 AM
Yah i dont think the size is so bad. Of course mine is on a 16" barrel so its relative. If you browse bravocompanyusa.com, they model their rifles with ta11s. Look through their 14.5 uppers and click on their pics to see how it would be on your rifle.

08-18-2011, 9:02 AM
I would recommend the TA31 Ecos model, I have the older one with doctor reddot I beleave the new ones come with trijicons rmr red dot,it all so has a back up iron sight,as well as the Arms quick release mount. If you look around you can find them at a reasonable price.

08-18-2011, 9:14 AM
I am very happy with my TA31F. I have owned several of them on different platforms. The FSB isn't really an issue.

08-18-2011, 9:36 AM
Not sure if you read this http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/trijicon-acog-considerations

I have limited experience with both (just bench shooting) and of the 2 I prefer the TA11. I just liked the longer eye relief. I don't remember the FSB being an issue with either, just a slight blur and only occasionally. The closer my eye was to the scope the less I noticed the FSB.

On a side note: On a TA33 (what I have), the FSB did get in the way and then I made it worse by getting an American Defense mount which lowered the ACOG. Now, the FSB actually blocked the BDC and made it unusable. To fix that problem, I bought a 2nd upper with flip up sights :D

08-18-2011, 9:50 AM
I have 2 TA31F, absolutely love them and shoot them from close to 600yds no problem.