PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Lead free brass>

ghostwong
01-16-2007, 8:18 PM
OK here is a question to stump the band . . . I have reloaded normal .45 ACP using large pistol primers. Recently I starting shooting at a range that requires me to use lead free ammo. The makers are Wincheter, and Remmington.

Lead free - 9mm, and 40 S/W brass looks like they use small pistol primers. .45 ACP uses some sort of small pistol primers also. I compare the normal .45 ACP to the .45 ACP lead free and the primer is smaller in the lead free.

Question - Can the .45 ACP lead free brass be reloaded and to what specs since it a small pistol primer . . . Iwill try to post a picture soon .

Sheldon
01-16-2007, 10:31 PM
I have read you can just use small pistol primers but the velocities may be slightly lower.

randy
01-17-2007, 12:32 AM
It's a drag when you get .45 lead free brass mixed in with standard brass a little extra preasure when setting the primer and KA BOOM. If you are going to reload that brass then save it by it's self. Reload a few and chrono a few make powder adjustments from there.

Good luck

Whitesmoke
01-17-2007, 2:30 AM
when this range says "lead free"...does that mean the bullet is really solid copper or something? Or is the bullet just 100% fully jacketed ball rounds?

The reason I ask....is the local indoor range says "lead free ammo"...but they allow fully jacketed ball rounds like Winchester white box ball. I always thought that it was odd.....

mrkubota
01-17-2007, 6:28 AM
Most of the lead vapors at an indoor range are from the primer compounds, not the bullets.

Lead Free ammo is primed with a priming compound without any lead in it. Additionally, the bullets are usually FMJ or frangible copper matrix to minimize any lead from that source as well....

Whitesmoke
01-17-2007, 6:51 AM
Most of the lead vapors at an indoor range are from the primer compounds, not the bullets.

Lead Free ammo is primed with a priming compound without any lead in it. Additionally, the bullets are usually FMJ or frangible copper matrix to minimize any lead from that source as well....

Now, that make much more sense....:D Thanks!

Cazach
01-17-2007, 9:37 AM
FYI, there is no such thing as lead free brass. Lead is one of the ingredients required to turn copper and zinc (and other stuff) into brass. There is certainly low-lead brass.

Remember this in three years when nobody in California will be able to buy a faucet or plumbing fixtures in California. Thank you Arnold :mad:

ghostwong
01-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Reloading brass, that was used on lead free ammo.