PDA

View Full Version : Scope and a base for my .308???

RANGER295
01-16-2007, 7:10 PM
Well I have mentioned several times recently the Savage 10FP with the McMillan stock that I just got. Now it is time to put glass on top of it and I need some feedback. I will mostly be using it from prone and bench at 200 to 500 yards I will sometimes be shooting as close as 100 yards and out to 800 or so. The scope that I have decided on is SWFA’s Super Sniper. I was going to get the SS 10X42 but someone told me that I should get the SS 16X42 which I had originally thought would be too much power for some of the closer ranges that I will be using it. What are your thoughts?

My second question is what rings and base should I get? I was thinking about Burris Xtreame Tactical base and rings. One line of their rings say for “Speed Dot only” and the other say they are for the XTR Scope which is their scope. Does anyone know if these will work with the SS scopes and which height I should get? Are there any other suggestions for rings and bases that are in this same price range? As always thanks in advance

ocabj
01-16-2007, 7:46 PM
If you can get the TPS steel rings, they are a good value.

As far as the base, I use Ken Farrell on my Savage because at the time, it was the best base under $100. Unfortunately, the base is a bit taller than most bases. Even if you get low rings with a 40mm obj scope, the obj will still higher than normal above the barrel in combination with the Ken Farrell base.

If you go Ken Farrell, you may want to opt for super low depending on your scope.

Note the Ken Farrell base in the following pictures. The following picture show my old setup with Burris Signature Zee rings. The Savage pictured currently uses the Ken Farrell base and TPS low rings.

http://www.ocabj.net/photos/firearms_personal/10fp_07l.jpg

http://www.ocabj.net/photos/firearms_personal/10fp_08l.jpg

http://www.ocabj.net/photos/firearms_personal/10fp_09l.jpg

fairfaxjim
01-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I have a 10X Super Sniper scope on my 10FLP, mounted with Warne quick detach Maxima medium height rings, on Warne 2 piece mounts. I have had no problems with this setup. The rings are pretty hefty, and return to zero very well when the scope is removed. They make the same style ring without the quick detach that are less expensive. They are available directly from Warne, or Cabelas, or E A Brown. One note on mounts for the Savage 10, the newer models with the accutrigger use different mounts that the older non accutrigger models, as the shape of the top of the receiver is different.
As for the SS scope, I am satisfied with it for the price. It is not the best glass around. I don't think it is as clear as the higher end scopes. It does shoot well. The turrets are very stiff. They will loosen up some as you use them, but after it sits around for awhile, the will get stiff again, and the clicks are not as distinct as the others, particularly the Leupold's. The 10X works fine for me from 100 to 600 yards. I think target aquisition would be hard at closer ranges with the 16X.
If you would like some pictures of the mounts with the 10X SS, PM me and I can take some pictures tomorrow.

Cazach
01-17-2007, 8:40 AM
As far as 10 vs. 16x it also depends on your eyes. I have a 4.5-14X Burris on my Savage and find that it spends 99.9% of it's time on 10X. I wish now I had just bought a fixed 10X like the SWFA SS.

I have no problems going out to 800-1000 at 10X but I have something like 20/10 eyesight. I also agree with farifaxjim about field of view. A fixed 16X may limit you at closer ranges.

Ultimately it is personal taste and what fits you best.

RANGER295
01-17-2007, 2:29 PM
Ok so I think that I should go with the 10X. The limitations you guys mentioned about the 16X were the same concerns I had. I have a 3-9X scope on my 10/22 and I usually have it on 3 at 50 yards and maybe 4 to 5 at 100 yards. Having it on 9X is really more than I like at 100 yards. My deer rifle has a nonadjustable fixed 4X Leupold made in the late 1940’s with a T post recticle and I can cut paper at 500 yards with it.

I am still undecided on the base and rings. Also I am planning on putting a Harris bipod on. Anyone have any recommendations on which one would be best? Once again thanks for the help… this is the first time I have bought a rifle like this and had to figure out what to stick on it. All of my rifles either already had scopes on them when I got them or don’t need them and none of them are really precision tools like this one.

fairfaxjim
01-17-2007, 5:42 PM
Here are a couple of pics of my ss 10X with the Warne 2 peice bases. I like the 2 piece bases because it leaves more open room between the scope and the magazine. It does cut down on your scope mounting room, but as you can see, it works fine with the SS scope. They also sell some offset 2 piece mounts to give a little more wiggle room in positioning the scope.
http://www.saltzgaber.com/New_Folder/10FLP_SS10X_1.jpg
http://www.saltzgaber.com/New_Folder/10FLP_SS10X_2.jpg

RANGER295
01-17-2007, 6:46 PM
Thanks for the pictures. Are those medium height rings? Also out curiosity, how do you like that Choate stock? I was considering going that rout before I decided to bite the bullet and get the McMillan.

Here are a couple of pics of my ss 10X with the Warne 2 peice bases. I like the 2 piece bases because it leaves more open room between the scope and the magazine. It does cut down on your scope mounting room, but as you can see, it works fine with the SS scope. They also sell some offset 2 piece mounts to give a little more wiggle room in positioning the scope.
http://www.saltzgaber.com/New_Folder/10FLP_SS10X_1.jpg
http://www.saltzgaber.com/New_Folder/10FLP_SS10X_2.jpg

fairfaxjim
01-17-2007, 7:53 PM
Thanks for the pictures. Are those medium height rings? Also out curiosity, how do you like that Choate stock? I was considering going that rout before I decided to bite the bullet and get the McMillan.
The rings are medium height, 30mm, quick detach #214LM and the mounts are both #902M, front and rear (even though Warne shows the 902 as a Rem 700 front). The stock is the Choate Ultimate Varmint that I added. It is a little on the heavy side, but since I don't carry that rifle very far, it works well for me. Savage didn't offer any special stocks when I got mine, and since it is a lefty, they still don't. I think the McMillan is the best stock of the bunch, just a little pricy.

randy
01-18-2007, 4:44 AM
Rings and bases Leupold MK4

Harris Bi Pod LMS is the model I like you might like the BMS.

The first letter is the length of the legs the second letter M means it's miter cut the third letter S means it swivels.

proraptor
01-18-2007, 8:17 AM
I hear good things about that super sniper 10X and might pick one up for my future savage 10fp build but I also heard really good things about the bushnell 3200 on snipers hide and its only like $165 so I dont know....Too many dang scope, ring, base combos to choose from

JWC6
01-18-2007, 8:25 AM
I have a TPS base and rings on my Remington 700PSS. They are very well constructed. www.tpsproducts.com They also have bases for the Savage. Big problem is they are often out of stock.

I also have the warne QD maxima ultra high rings with the SS 10X42 on an OLL with an A3 flattop. The rings are very robust.

Concerning the SS, they are well constructed and quite heavy, almost to the range of US optics. I think I can run over it with a car without much damage. However, my Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 X 50mm has better glass, albeit at a completely different price point.

fairfaxjim
01-18-2007, 8:27 AM
+1 on the Harris bipod.
I prefer the swivel for my AR's, but have a non swivel style on the Savage, but there are times I wish it swiveled. Don't cheap out and get the Harris clones - I have borrowed one of them, and Harris it wasn't. Looked good, but had several annoying little "cheapie" differences. For just range shooting the "bench rest" length model is ok, but for even some ranges and for any "field" shooting, the 9-13" one is my favorite.

proraptor
01-18-2007, 8:46 AM
I have a question about bases...some say they are 0 moa and some say they are 20 moa....What does this mean?

wildcard
01-18-2007, 9:24 AM
Standard bases are 0 MOA meaning that it is strictly a base that allows you to mount a set of rings. A 20 MOA base will slant your scope so that you're given an extra 20 MOA for ULTRA long range shots. I'll tell you that you don't need it if you're mounting a Super Sniper on top of a .308. The Super Sniper has way more than enough internal MOA adjustments for you to reach well beyond 1000 yds for that caliber.

I have the 10X Super Sniper and love it. But if I had to do it again, I would pay the extra $100 for the side parallax adjustment knob. Not necessary if all you intend to do is punch paper though..

As for rings and bases.. I went with the IOR Valdada Medium Tactical Rings and MIL Std. 1913 Picatinny Rail:
http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/04b
http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/05a

They're not cheap.. but they work great and will outlive you :) Got them through SWFA.. I think it's cheaper than what the links show.. don't remember though..

ocabj
01-18-2007, 9:31 AM
You should have no more than a 35 min drop from your 100 yard zero to 1000 yards. While most of the long range scopes have enough elevation from factory zero (center), whether or not you need a canted base will depend on your rings and your rifle's drilled scope mount holes (how well the scope base holes are drilled with respect to being square to the receiver and how well the barrel is square to the receiver).