PDA

View Full Version : Best way to feed a 6.8 SPC?

csburtch
08-14-2011, 3:10 PM
I just picked up a 6.8 SPC RRA. What would be the best way to feed it economically. I realize that round is not cheap, but I will be hunting with it. Should I go ahead and start the reloading? I also have a 5.56 upper, and a 9mm. Who knows what else I'll come up with this year. Is it really less expensive to start reloading or is that just a myth. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

straykiller
08-14-2011, 11:31 PM
reloading will probably be your best bet

nyc71
08-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Better quality ammo if you reload for less.

---
- "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

thmpr
08-15-2011, 11:31 AM
For hunting purposes, reloading will not be ideal. For target shooting, reloading is a must.

joelogic
08-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Myth, just win the lotto.

Nathan Krynn
08-15-2011, 12:30 PM
For hunting purposes, reloading will not be ideal. For target shooting, reloading is a must.

I reload 6.8 for hunting. I use 95gr TTSX and while SSA sells loaded rounds for this they are way under powered due to they have to function all rifles.

Out of my 20" the SSA is like 2600 fps (around) and my load is like 2950 fps. This load is totally safe and I am not receiving a pressure spike.

I have taken a lot of pig with this and a few deer.

mif_slim
08-15-2011, 12:41 PM

I cant figure this one out....Target shooting is fine but not hunting??!!?? :confused:

I've used reloaded ammo on many many many many, did I say many yet? game animals with no issues..

OP, Best way to feed your 6.8 is to put the ammo into the mag, tap the mag into the magwell, pull the charge handle and let it go to insure a proper feed. If your not sure, press the bullet assist to feed it fully! :D Remember not to ride the charge handle, yo might misfeed it.

duggan
08-15-2011, 12:47 PM
I buy factory loaded for the 6.8 and then reload as needed.

Bug Splat
08-15-2011, 1:00 PM
I cant figure this one out....Target shooting is fine but not hunting??!!?? :confused:

I've used reloaded ammo on many many many many, did I say many yet? game animals with no issues..

He is saying that if you only shoot 20 rounds a year for hunting, investing in reloading equipment is not ideal. However, if you shoot a lot (ie target shooting) investing in equipment will pay for itself.

DannyInSoCal
08-15-2011, 1:38 PM
6.8 is getting cheaper. Just bought 460 rounds of Hornaday VMax for $275 - Keep an eye open on the ammo forums here and on GunBroker....

gun toting monkeyboy
08-15-2011, 2:08 PM
SSA is your friend. When my reloading equipment was packed up for a move, the only rifle I had access to that would take deer was a 6.8 SPC. And since I couldn't reload, I had to go with store bought hunting ammo for the first time in over a decade. SSA had the best prices, and the most choices. I ended up using the 110 grain soft point at under $20/box. At that price I was able to get some extra practice in at different ranges to make sure of the zero and bullet drop. I much prefer to roll my own, but if you aren't planning on doing much shooting, you could always get a bunch of different loads for different purposes through them.

All that being said, get a simple reloading set up. It is cheaper in the long run, and you can customize the loads to your gun. Also, 68forums is going to be one of your best resources for this cartridge. They really, really know what they are talking about with it.

-Mb

jwb28
08-15-2011, 2:53 PM
Another place for cheap..er ammo is Goodtogoammo. I bought 200rds and it was 197.00 shipped to my door.
It's Specll ammo. 115gr otm, so not a good idea for hunting deer, but it is accurate. SSA brass also.
I don't think it's listed on his site, but Email him (Scott, or his wife Jennifer) Really good people. "Ex" marine gunny.
Anyway I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

csburtch
08-16-2011, 6:31 AM
Thanks for all your input. I've got a friend who's willing to teach me the reloading gig. I'm gonna take him up on that. Just bought 250 rds from ssa for 212.00 to my door. From what I can tell that's pretty good. Enough to get me started. Thanks again!

thrillhouse700
08-16-2011, 9:29 AM
Man I wish i had a friend that reloads, I need a mentor. I have a book that I have been reading but I am a learn by doing kinda guy. I guess I am lucky I am broke right now and can't buy any equipment :)

762.DEFENSE
08-16-2011, 9:32 AM
Myth, just win the lotto.
My thoughts exactly! :thumbsup: