View Full Version : Changing batteries in keypad safes

Scarecrow Repair
01-16-2007, 1:14 PM
I had stated in another post somewhere that the proper way to change batteries was one at a time with the door open so if you screw it up and lock yourself out, it's easier for the safe company to put things right. My logic was that my safe (Hall's) instructions said to change them one at a time, so I thought that as a security precaution, if all power was lost, the relockers would come out and get the last laugh.

I was sort of right and sort of wrong. They do advise changing one at a time with the door open in case something goes wrong, but losing power does not trigger the relockers. You can change both at once, you can wait until they die on their own before changing them, and as soon as you replace them, it should open again.

The only reason to do it with the door open is the very slight possibility, like all things electronic, of it not liking the battery change, in which case it might forget your combination. I bet that doesn't happen even one in a million times.

The only other way to trigger the relockers is by cutting the connecting cable or trying the wrong combination too many times.

01-17-2007, 6:56 AM
Most safes hold memory. Lots of safes only use one battery.

01-17-2007, 8:21 AM
I just pop out all the old batteries, then stick in new ones. no biggie, the safe remembers your codes and wont lock you out.

01-17-2007, 11:32 AM
The ONLY reason to change batteries with the door open is ESD. If you happen to be wearing socks and walked on the carpet before you were did the change, then you may zap the electronics through one of the battery contacts.
Otherwise, all safes that I know of use non volatile memory, so taking out the battery does nothing to it. I have never heard of any safe the activates the relockers when the batteries are taken out. Think about it this way, where would the relockers get energy to lock?

Scarecrow Repair
01-17-2007, 1:26 PM
Think about it this way, where would the relockers get energy to lock?
That's simple and done all the time elsewhere. If they are spring loaded or gravity driven, energy holds the relockers back, lack of energy lets them loose. Mine isn't done that way, I doubt many are, but it is possible. It would take very little energy if done right.

Besides, like I said, I was wrong, so you guys are all just beating a dead horse :-)