PDA

View Full Version : Rugar 10/22 or Marlin ? and/or Savage .17hmr

Jake71
08-14-2011, 6:04 AM
Sorry but I'm going to ask it.

Aside from the magazine sticking out the bottom? What are the major differences aside from about 50$?

I want a .22 to play with and teach people how to shoot.

Sitting in a ammo box next to me is probably 400 rounds of .22 in assorted flavors from teaching a couple girls how to shoot. Only one moved on to shoot all my pistols up to the .44Mag. 120lb Korean woman shooting a .44 Mag, well lets say I had to catch her from falling backwards.

So I want to get a .22 to shoot/play with.

Why would I want a.17hmr? Seems like a cool little round but I don't want to put even the smallest of dollars into something that will in the next few years become a round that falls by the wayside and isn't made anymore.

I don't keep up with rimfire guns/ammunition trends so help me out.

10/22 and Marlin differences? I heard Marlin has plastic trigger mechanism?

Do I want a .17hmr ?

thanks
jake

BSlacker
08-15-2011, 5:13 AM
Most new shooters will do well with a factory stock good running rimfire rifle. If modding a rifle is going to be for you then a 10/22 would be the way. Marlins are popular for a reason. They shoot good and are easy to operate. Take a good look at the Marlin 60 and 795. I am a big Marlin guy. :)

The .17hmr is a fine little round. It has great application in hunting and target shooting. The price moves it closer to centerfire cost and away from the low cost of the 22lr. For new people who may want to shoot a lot then it is 22lr for me. .17hmr cost too much for high volume plinking, IMHO. :)

Jake71
08-15-2011, 7:08 AM
I went to Bass Pro Shop yesterday, HUGE store, to look at their gun selection and while I like the Marlin's price point the 10/22 looked nice. I used to have a Mini-14 a long time ago and it never had issues.

However you can't beat the Marlin at what 130.00$ or so.

I'm gonna pickup my Derringer today and then swing by Turners and see what they have for prices. I think the fall ad I saw the 10/22 for 200$ roughly.

After looking at the .17 I don't think I'll get that one at this point.

1000 rds for 50$ of .22LR is definately appealing compared to several hundred dollars for the same in centerfire ammo.

thanks for the reply;

gorenut
08-15-2011, 7:58 AM
From what I've read, 17hmr gives you a flatter trajectory than 22lr. For hunting though, 22lr is still more effective with the correct rounds, making 17hmr more for serious target shooting.

choprzrul
08-15-2011, 8:10 AM
Find the Marlin 795 thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=171319&highlight=marlin+795) on CGN and get educated.

I built a 795 for my wife a while back. We attended an Appleseed in April and she promptly announced that she wanted another one so that she could take friens to Appleseed. I ended up getting 2 more.

I put Tech Sights (http://www.tech-sights.com/)on the new ones, took the rifles to the range to sight in, and then went to work STANDING. I was hitting the 6" swingers @ 100yds roughly 60% of my shots. Show me a Ruger 10/22 that can do that.

You cannot beat the price point and accuracy on an out of the box factory 795. Granted, I added sights, but factory sights are pretty much universally terrible.

BayouBullets
08-17-2011, 6:09 PM
If semi-auto is a MUST I'd get the 10/22. For accuracy, a Marlin 7 series or even 8 series bolt-action will tend to be superb for way less money. Forget the factory sights and immediately mount simple, reasonably priced glass like a fixed 4x for youngsters. (If you really want to stretch it to long-range or you have old eyes like me and just prefer extra magnification, 6x is about the max that you'll ever need.)Personally, I prefer to train first-time shooting children on weapons that one must manually cycle.