PDA

View Full Version : M1A Scope, What's the best?

Ranger bj
08-13-2011, 6:43 PM
I just purchased a M1A and I'd like to find the best scope to optimise the gun's potential.

What suggestions do you have.

Thanks

seronian
08-13-2011, 7:00 PM
whats the price range? and what application.

cfusionpm
08-13-2011, 7:02 PM
I think more important is the mount. It's not easy to mount a scope to an M1A and I've heard bad things about cheap mounts. I've been debating this myself; if I want to invest in a good mount/scope for my Scout, or just use the forward rails for a nice red dot. I personally haven't done much research into it yet, because my cheapo red dot has worked OK so far. But I wanna keep an eye on this thread to see where it goes.

sfoan
08-13-2011, 7:55 PM
I use a basset machine mount (I believe it is military tested) on my m1a loaded and it works great.

mceod
08-13-2011, 8:17 PM
I use a basset machine mount (I believe it is military tested) on my m1a loaded and it works great.

+1 on the Basset. I'm running one on my SuperMatch with a Millett TRS. Upgrading to a Nightforce when I get home from Afghanistan because the Millett gives me issues at longer ranges.

tacticalcity
08-13-2011, 8:22 PM
Military uses Leupold Mark 4 3.5x10-40 IR. It is a nice scope. Hovers around $1K.

Vacaville
08-13-2011, 8:26 PM
I just purchased a M1A and I'd like to find the best scope to optimise the gun's potential.

What suggestions do you have.

"That is not the right question. You must first ask the right questions."

http://www.filmfashion.nl/stills/i%20robot2.jpg

whats the price range? and what application.

"That, detective, is the right question."

http://www.filmfashion.nl/stills/i%20robot2.jpg

brando
08-13-2011, 8:27 PM
"Best" is such a subjective term.

mceod
08-13-2011, 8:28 PM
Military uses Leupold Mark 4 3.5x10-40 IR. It is a nice scope. Hovers around $1K.

My EMR sports a Schmit and Bender.

Ranger bj
08-13-2011, 8:48 PM
Okay, money is an issue.

I know Nightforce is a great scope, but I don't have that kind of money.

With an average shooter behind the trigger of a standard M1A, how far can I expect to consistently at deer size target with average variable power scope that costs around $400.00? Or should I use a dot type optic on this rifle?

I appreciate the input on the mount. That is they type of info. I like. I don't want to waste my money on equipment that you guys know won't work.

Thanks again for the help.

mceod
08-13-2011, 8:50 PM
For that kind of shooting, look at one of the Milletts or the Super Snipers. Should fit the bill quite nice.

cfusionpm
08-13-2011, 9:29 PM
Turners is having a big sale from now till Sep 15th, and one of their items is a very affordable Leupold VX-I 3-9x40mm scope. With that Bassett mount (160$ shipped), that scope (190$ + tax), and a set of rings (50$), that's not a bad deal out the door if you aren't going into super long range or competative shooting. I may just do that for mine because that whole setup gives me a lot more range and is still cheaper than going with an Aimpoint or Eotech red dot (~400$).

dfletcher
08-13-2011, 9:34 PM
How about something a little different - a Burris Timberline in 4.5 to 14 X. Costs about $225.00 and it's a pretty compact scope, adjustable objective too. The rear bell is fairly small too and that helps getting a low mount.

I know it's not "the best" scope, but it's a pretty good fit for the rifle and will do what you need.

EL_NinO619
08-13-2011, 9:37 PM
I run this. But i have a Socom 16. But I can hit what I'm aiming at @ 400 yards. The 2MOA dot is very precise.

http://www.semperfiarms.com/store/product/optics-mounts-weaponsights/CompM4s.jpg

ZX-10R
08-13-2011, 9:38 PM
Couple of guys at my range have decked out M1s...They both have Night Force...I personally would get a millet LRS-1.

Vacaville
08-13-2011, 9:41 PM
Nikon Monarch 2.5 - 10x42. Here's one at Amazon for $360. It's a very nice scope, great all-around scope for hunting, target shooting, and plinking.

http://www.amazon.com/2-5-10x42-Monarch-Riflecope-Matte-BDC/dp/B000OZZ9B6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313300366&sr=8-1

BT JUSTICE
08-13-2011, 9:51 PM
I'm looking for Leatherwood m1200 for mine...anyone use this before?

Hoop
08-13-2011, 10:14 PM
With an average shooter behind the trigger of a standard M1A, how far can I expect to consistently at deer size target with average variable power scope that costs around $400.00? Or should I use a dot type optic on this rifle?

It will be fine for the typical hunting distances out here which are 2-300 yards at the most.

If you can only spend a couple hundred bucks the bushnell 10X/super sniper 10X/weaver 3-10X grand slam are your best bets.

I wouldn't get a millett/leatherwood/(insert chinese brand here)

NoHeavyHitter
08-13-2011, 10:21 PM
I think more important is the mount.

+100 on that^

semiautosniper
08-14-2011, 7:43 AM
M1A type of rifle does not shoot well with optics attached because the extra weight of the mount and optics causes unstable resonance each time the rifle is fired since the barrel is not free-floated. I will recommend a ACOG 4X at most for M1A. All the rumors that M1A is so so accurate refers to custom bedded versions with their unitized gas cylinder meticulous de-carbonized every 20 rounds, and such "great accuracy" is generally 1 MOA and last only 20 rounds or so; after that, you have to clean out the gas system again. Not the mention, M1a has to be completely rebedded after 1500 rounds because the action eats the bedding alive. Also the accuracy and POI changes when you switch out magazines, and the accuracy is dependently on the magazine spring tension. The action is very violent that each time it chambers a round, the tip of the round is always slightly bent, causing deviation in POI (try TAP polymer-tipped rounds, and you will know what I mean). If you try to put one in the chamber, and the slam the bolt to chamber, you are risking slam-fire. I sold all my M1As. If I were to do this all over again, I will get a criterion USGI profile chrome-lined barrel with all the USGI parts I can get, and use it without optics (just National Match Rear Sight), and expect a 2 MOA rifle.

Btw, I would get a Sadlak Steel mount, it is extremely nicely machined and very sturdy.

My 2 cent. SAS

bollero
08-14-2011, 8:08 AM
on a basset mount do u have to put thread locker to keep the bolt from getting loose mine gets loose when i shoot... red?blue?

Bend
08-14-2011, 9:03 AM
Suggestions to the OP:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/scopemountfultonarmoryusdmrthebest.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=598484

cfusionpm
08-14-2011, 10:27 AM
I run this. But i have a Socom 16. But I can hit what I'm aiming at @ 400 yards. The 2MOA dot is very precise.

http://www.semperfiarms.com/store/product/optics-mounts-weaponsights/CompM4s.jpg

I'd love one of those, but in my mind it's hard to see its value, especially for a gun that will probably never see combat. The iron sights are great if I want to stay unmagnified, and a decent scope setup would be cheaper by several hundred.

MossbergMan
08-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Dang all those cool scopes and mounts and I shoot my standard M1A with iron sights out to 837 yards. Okay it does have a NM hooded rear apeture.
I run a Sig dot sight on my SOCOM 16. It's a reasonably price copy of the Aimpoint Mirco. With an Ultimak full length rail top cover I can co-witness the iron sights.

this was good info. I like the Fullerton scope mount...I may convert as my eyes are aging.

cfusionpm
08-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Any good places to buy that? The link I found (here (http://www.bassettmachine.com/prod_home_buynow.htm)) list 2-4 weeks delivery. I'd rather not have to wait that long. :sleeping:

Black Majik
08-15-2011, 10:59 AM
I've stuck a few scopes on my M1A for fun. It all depends on what you wanna do with it. You can pretty much pull off any variable power scope on it depending on what you want to use your rifle for.

As people mentioned earlier, mounts matter probably the most. I've been using Sadlak's steel mounts with success.

Just for fun...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/1e0adf09.jpg

cfusionpm
08-15-2011, 11:04 AM
As people mentioned earlier, mounts matter probably the most. I've been using Sadlak's steel mounts with success.

Do you have opinions on their aluminum mount? I don't plan on shooting it much outside of recretional outings, and it's half the price.

jcaoloveshine
08-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Just remember once you scope it, you'll need to raise the stock comb or else you'll be getting a chin weld.

Consider getting a Karsten riser for around 70 bucks, either drill and install yourself or get a gunsmith to do it.

This is just my own opinion, but the M1A excels as an iron sight weapon. If I were to scope out a semiauto, I'd get a more precise AR10 platform.

The ability to drop high cap mags for the M1A and its pointability coupled with NM sights make it great out to 500-600 yards on man-sized silhouette targets. This is where I think the M1A really shines. I know people use it in matches and as a DMR, but I've always enjoyed shooting the irons far more.

Ripper
08-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Go with a US Optics SN3/ 1.8x10 Power Variable and a Sadlak Mount. This is what I have on my M1A and she is a sweet shooter. 1/2in groups at 100yds all day long with Match Ammo. I know people will say that they cost too much, but if you want the best this is it. Plus they Back up their products at US Optics. I had a Spec of something on my Reticle and I went to the Factory in BREA CA. They said no problem. They Took the Scope completely apart and Rebuilt it for me while I waited. Plus they Remounted the scope on my M1A and Bore-sighted it for me no charge, plus gave me a tour of their shop and gave me a T-Shirt and Decals. Very cool people, Arnold Rebuilt my scope and Jeff gave me the tour. Yes their scopes are not cheap but their customer service is top-notch and their scopes, mounts, rings are Tough. Try getting your scopes fixed or warranty work done with the Big company's, their service sucks and you wait and wait. Go with US OPTICS and you wont look back.;)

M1A Rifleman
08-15-2011, 11:15 AM
The M1A is at its full potential as the best ever battle rifle with its peep sights.

But, if you wish more precision with a scope, then as others have said, first consider the mount, and veirfy it mounts correctly to your rifle. Beyond that, any quality scope will do. Consider the field of view and power you are looking for.

As for mounts, Iv'e been lucky with the 1st Gen mount that shipped with my rifle over 20 years ago. Its never let me down, but I may be one of the few with good luck.

Black Majik
08-15-2011, 3:10 PM
Do you have opinions on their aluminum mount? I don't plan on shooting it much outside of recretional outings, and it's half the price.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the aluminum mounts. However I seriously wouldn't have any doubts using them on my rifle.

H2O MAN
08-15-2011, 4:10 PM
I like Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm and MR/T 1.5-5x20mm with illuminated reticles.

tygerpaw
08-15-2011, 9:06 PM
Stay away from the Springfield Armory aluminum mounts. They dont hold zero. I dont know about the Sadlak aluminum mount, but I know they make good stuff.

I have a ARMS-18 mount on mine and it holds zero perfectly. It even holds zero after removing the scope and putting it back on.

BDH
08-15-2011, 9:57 PM
+1 on the Bassett. Take the extra time it takes to order a mount and shoot it with iron sights. The Bassett will torque on with the enclosed wrench (instructions are on the site) and mine has never shot loose. If you don't plan on using irons, just Locktite it with removable (blue I think) Locktite and have fun. For more on Bassett just go over to M14forum.com and search for Bassett.
Bruce

M1A_KICHI
08-15-2011, 10:36 PM

I have the aluminum sadlak mount on my M1A loaded and it works fantastic. I bought it about 3 years ago and shot about 700 rounds in my rifle with the mount on and I really like how I can still use the irons as well. My buddy has a steel one and it is heavier. Either mount you are good to go.

23 Blast
08-16-2011, 9:22 AM
I have a Bassett Machine Mount, one of the older ones with the 45 degree tilt (which makes mounting rings and scopes unecessarily difficult and complex), and Ive shot it with a scope, but I always gravitate toward just having the iron sights on the gun. The gun feels so much smoother (and is obviously lighter) that way. Besides which, the irons and their adjustment knobs are plenty accurate for the ranges I'm shooting at.

H2O MAN
08-16-2011, 1:01 PM
If you don't want to mess with getting a cheek riser you should consider
the M8 from UltiMAK with a low sitting Aimpoint or Scout scope