View Full Version : Kel-Tec Customer Service - UNHAPPY!

08-13-2011, 3:22 PM
I hear good things from all of you about Kel-Tec customer service. I have not had the same good experience. I own 2 Kel-Tec rifles SU-16C & SU-16CA and have just recently took them out to shoot them. After shooting approximately 20 rounds the rounds begin to get stuck, fail to eject, or they don't strip off the magazine properly! Yes I have tried different ammo, magazines, and thoroughly cleaned them. I have tried to call the tech department at Kel-tec 7 times in the last 2 weeks for help and left several messages for a guy named Shawn. Never a call back! I went to their official website and sent them an e-mail. This is the response I recieved 4 days later!

Hi John,

Iím sorry about that. Seanís been on vacation a few days and trying to catch up the others. Iíll walk over and talk to him today to have him call you.

Customer Service

Still nothing, no call, nothing! Is he the only tech that works there????

I am getting very frustrated with this company. This was going to be my SHTF rifle. I love Kel-Tec products, but if this is how customer service treats their customers, it will be my last purchase! I own many weapons and this is the first time I have had all of these problems with one.

I just wanted to get my rifles fixed send them in, or send me the parts I need! It has been over three weeks now, and all I got was the one e-mail.

I just tried the fluff and buff that I read about on here. Have not had a chance to go shoot yet, but I will soon. Maybe I fixed it myself without their help! I hope you all have better luck than I did!

08-13-2011, 3:33 PM
My su16b likes to be ran wet, especially the piston and spring, also upgraded the extractor. Are they new? Mine ran a lot smoother after the first few hundred rounds, good luck

08-13-2011, 3:36 PM
SU16 kel tecs are the worse gun I have ever owned

08-13-2011, 4:13 PM
you herd good things about keltec from here? most people here will tell you to trash that rifle and get an ar15

08-13-2011, 8:32 PM
A su16 isn't even in the same class as an ar15 ... it's not intended to be...

08-13-2011, 8:51 PM

I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with your opinion after you have gone on multiple threads exclaiming your hatred of all things kel tecs.

08-14-2011, 10:59 AM
If you look at the owner's manual you can send into the factory with out an RMA. I did with both an SU22 with a canted sight and an issue with SU16. About 7 weeks later I had both rifle fixed.

08-14-2011, 11:34 AM
I like my SU-16CA, but one thing I'll advise all SU owners is to upgrade the extractor to a standard AR extractor. Makes a world of difference. Keep the old one in case you need to send the rifle in for service.

08-14-2011, 11:35 AM
The Kel-Tech sure isn't an AR...I can't fold my AR and put it in a folding chair bag. I have a SU-16A, have shot it for years and it's my "truck gun" (I don't care if it gets nicked). Once I ditched the iron sights and put a dot sight on it...it's good for 300 yards (minute of man). I don't need an expensive gun to get stolen or impounded by an ignorant peace officer. The SU-16 is just the "disposable" rifle for me, kinda like a Glock.

08-14-2011, 6:31 PM

Welcome to 2011. Everybody already knows they are junk.

08-14-2011, 6:41 PM
Blitzburg, in case you haven't notice, 1lostinspace is on a mission to jump into every kel-tec topic and say their junk. Not saying his opinion isn't appreciated, but EVERY KT SU topic?? Com'on.... Lol.

08-14-2011, 9:13 PM
I love my Kel-tec and its been problem free.

As for the customer service, I dont know cause I have never had to deal with them. I would just keep emailing them since its worked better than calling them.

08-14-2011, 10:41 PM

Dude I open keltec threads just to see if you chimed in yet!!! Lol!!!
Our opinions differ but I respect your relentlessness!!!

As for the op...
Sorry to here about your experience. I used to have one and have maybe 4 friends with su's . Like what said above... Run it wet with lube and it takes about 200 rounds to really start being reliable.

I got to admit that's the first time I've heard bad about there customer service!?!

08-14-2011, 11:11 PM

well until i gave mine to my dad, it ate everything and never jammed,

now i have a sub2k and it works just as flawlessly

08-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Never liked their rifles, sorry to hear that though, hope they get off their butts and fix it for you!

08-15-2011, 6:55 AM
It's amazing to me that I have run 3 tactical rifle classes with my SU16CA, and have experienced ZERO problems with it, while I saw ARs, AKs and even a Sig556 go down hard. I really expected the thing to crap out on me by now.

Maybe I just got "a good one". Maybe those other rifles were poorly maintained or cheaper versions or - in the cases of the Sig - "the one bad one". I have no idea which is the case, but my Kel-Tec SU16CA continues to operate flawlessly under fairly harsh use, with minimal maintenance.

08-15-2011, 7:18 AM
Yanchi: were you shooting steel cased ammo and brass ammo at the same time?

Any reloads in there?

08-15-2011, 8:07 AM
Sucks to hear about your issues with customer service.

Out of curiosity, where/how did you get a C model?

08-15-2011, 8:07 AM
I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with your opinion after you have gone on multiple threads exclaiming your hatred of all things kel tecs.

You're replying to a troll post.

Surprising, I only called CS once and that was with some questions and to order a couple spare parts just in case (firing pin, rail front end, etc) and they were on the ball. Rep has always been good, too.

Still <3 my SU-16CA.

08-15-2011, 9:24 AM
Its been my understanding that the SU16 rifles need a 200 round break in before you should start expecting good operation.

08-15-2011, 9:41 AM
Welcome to 2011. Everybody already knows they are junk.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
08-15-2011, 11:12 AM
My friends sold all their keltech's. Cool design, but they felt cheep as hell in my hands....as far as shtf...um yeah g-luck wit that!

08-15-2011, 1:01 PM
To the OP, do you have new SU's or older ones (manufactured longer than 2 or 3 years ago?)

09-14-2011, 5:36 PM
Older, not sure of the date but probably one of the first ones made!

09-14-2011, 10:17 PM
I have one that I bought in '06. Replaced the extractor and changed out the bolt handle. Ran 300 rounds no issue. Last time I took it out started to have issues with the bolt closing. Had to force it closed about 1/4 inch. For the life of me couldn't figure it out. Finally noticed that the piston rod was missing the retaining pin. Amazing this thing ran without it for 300 rounds. Only stopped because the gas tube got filled up a bit with carbon. Talked to Shawn and explained the situation. He sent me replacement parts as I didn't want to send it in. Got them in a few days. Everything works fine now. Still need to run some rounds through her. But the bolt closes fine. Hope you get this corrected. I have had good service. Email them as well, I think they only have one tech for service. I sent email and left a few messages. They call but as you have found not as fast. Gl, hope it gets fixed fast. Love my light su16ca!

09-14-2011, 10:24 PM
I have a kB'd SU-16 that's sitting in a box in a few dozen pieces that I need to send back to Keltec. I keep forgetting to do it because I don't miss the gun at all.

09-15-2011, 9:08 AM
Older, not sure of the date but probably one of the first ones made!

If that is the case, just so you know, KT has gone though a couple of design revisions on the Bolt in the SU. If I remember correctly, besides changing the extractor they used, they also increased the diameter of the ejector pin channel so that the ejector pin worked better.

I don't know if you have gotten a hold of anyone in KT, but I personally would call and politely ask them to just send out a whole new bolt carrier assembly and bolt and you could mail in your old parts in exchange if they want them back.

That will save you turn around time, keep you from having to spend a lot of $ on shipping and will generally speed things up for you.

I have only had good experienced with KT customer service, but I will say it does sometimes take a bit of time to get a hold of someone. They are a smaller operation and can get busy.

In any case, if you get a new bolt carrier assembly with a new bolt into your SU, I'd be willing to bet your SU will be 100% after that point.

10-10-2011, 10:29 PM
This is the first forum ive found with a definite hatred of Kel Tec! Odd