PDA

View Full Version : WWII collections - the Thompson in semi-auto?

ketec_owner
01-16-2007, 7:57 AM
Is the Thompson doable or not in California in semi-auto?

alpine18
01-16-2007, 8:51 AM
As-is, the semi-auto thompson is no-go in CA - detachable mag + grip.
Pin a 10-rnd mag and figure out a way to load it, and the Kahr/AO semi-auto should be good to go in CA -- or maybe a non-pistol grip?

Chaingun
01-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Hopefully not banned by name.

Have them ship the Thompson sans grip and then either modify the grip or design a new legal grip.

tsongololo
01-16-2007, 10:48 AM
They are not banned by name - a coworker has one that he got recently. It had to be shipped to CA with the pistol grip removed.

There is a drum magazine modified to hold 10 rounds. Of course once it's permamentley attached loading is a problem. He drilled 5 holes in the drum for loading, and I didn't get to see the mechanism closely, but a lever was twisted to allow the other 5 to be loaded. It seemed to work just fine, but maybe it's not what some would consider "pretty". But it does have the pistol grip reattached.

So yes, you can have a Tommy in CA.

Archenemy550
01-16-2007, 12:37 PM
argh, but all of em are SBR's!
You will need a 16'' bbl

Charliegone
01-16-2007, 12:48 PM
argh, but all of em are SBR's!
You will need a 16'' bbl

Yeah, auto ordnance/ kahr (whoever) makes them SBR compliant.

ketec_owner
01-16-2007, 2:02 PM
Well thanks for the information. At least it's not banned by name.

DV8
01-16-2007, 2:14 PM
There is a drum magazine modified to hold 10 rounds. Of course once it's permamentley attached loading is a problem. He drilled 5 holes in the drum for loading, and I didn't get to see the mechanism closely, but a lever was twisted to allow the other 5 to be loaded. It seemed to work just fine, but maybe it's not what some would consider "pretty". But it does have the pistol grip reattached.

Can you get pics of what he did? Sounds interesting.

rorschach
01-16-2007, 4:12 PM
I wanna know how he permanently attached and modded the 10 round drum. Sounds like a nice toy to have!

tsongololo
01-16-2007, 4:43 PM
Apparently the mag lock was drilled out and tapped, with a set screw installed. I'll try to get some pictures soon. I did get to fire it, and it's so heavy there's really no recoil at all - shot nice though.