PDA

View Full Version : Budget .308 AR build

Falstaff
08-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Looking for a cheap barrel, I really like the looks of the DPMS SASS barrel but it's selling for 299 +. I saw some old posts where people got them on sale for an extremely reasonable 169 reportedly, does DPMS have sales very often like that?

.308 AR parts sure are expensive compared to the 5.56 pattern! Seems like everything's at least double the cost!

cabinetguy
08-12-2011, 12:10 PM
check out the private parts section from time to time, I got a complete sass upper for 800. Ive seen the barrells on sale quite frequently, midway or brownells I think, so keep looking, however I think the lr308 is the latest must have, so there are many others looking to buy what you want, keeps prices up.
good luck

762.DEFENSE
08-12-2011, 12:11 PM
You might want to look in the CGN Marketplace.. you never know what vendors/sponsors will put up for sale, along with CGN members as well.

rchman
08-12-2011, 1:09 PM
You're going to save the most amount of money by purchasing a used LR308. 308 pattern ARs are definitely not cheap though. Getting reasonably priced, semi-accurate ammo is hard to do. So, if you are on a budget, and won't shoot a lot of ammo, it negates a lot of the benefits of having a semi 308.

motorwerks
08-12-2011, 1:17 PM
Looking for a cheap barrel, I really like the looks of the DPMS SASS barrel but it's selling for 299 +. I saw some old posts where people got them on sale for an extremely reasonable 169 reportedly, does DPMS have sales very often like that?

.308 AR parts sure are expensive compared to the 5.56 pattern! Seems like everything's at least double the cost!

I got lucky enough to get a blackhole weaponry barrel in a group but for like $240.00 shipped. I really preferred it to the SASS because of the heft the SASS's have, and that I can use a standard gasblock.

That said yes .308 parts are almost always twice as much. My "budget build" that I scoured the forums classified cheap, or used parts for ended up being $1200.00ish before rings, scope, or trigger a good trigger. And that's not counting much of the lower parts kit, I had everything for it from left over parts except the bolt catch, take-down and the pivot pins.

barbasol
08-12-2011, 1:31 PM
Check out jsesurplus.com. They have the entire Sass rifle in parts basically for good prices

thrillhouse700
08-12-2011, 3:08 PM
Yup second JSE if you have to have the SASS. It is cheaper than most and accurate (from what i have read, and from what deadon has told me) Be aware it is a beast in weight. My black hole weaponry barrel is bull contour up until the last 4 inches and it is nose heavy, if I could do it again I would have gone midlength and maybe fluted. I am still happy with it tho its a straight shooter and its mostly on the bench so it does not bother me.

pyro3k2
08-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Budget and .308 AR do not go well together.

Hoop
08-13-2011, 7:21 AM
SASS barrel is great if you don't mind the weight.

Rainier has their select barrels which are allegedly made by Black Hole, they are 259 for a 16-18" and probably 1.5lbs lighter than the SASS barrel.

wtfprompt
08-13-2011, 7:34 AM
JSE has the best price going for the SASS barrel,

http://www.jsesurplus.com/dpms18inchsass308barrel.aspx

Don't forget the gas block, DPMS has only two that will clear the profile of the SASS barrel.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/dpmsmicro936gasblock.aspx