PDA

View Full Version : sniper scope questions

huntercf
08-11-2011, 9:09 PM
I've ordered a .416 barrett and I need to get a scope but I need some advice. My local gun shop recommended a nightforce but the $1500 price tage is a little steep for me right now. I just want a decent scope to do some long shots, any suggestions? Thanks

CSACANNONEER
08-11-2011, 9:26 PM
Are you a "Sniper" or are you just looking for a good target scope? What kind of .416 are you getting? How long of shots do you realistically see yourself taking? What type of precission are you hoping to achieve? The bottom line is that the general rule of thumb is to spend the least amount possible to buy a rifle that is capable of shooting as precise as you want and then spend as much as you can afford on quality optics. I would recommend a NF too. If you want to save a little money, a NF BR scope might work for you. You will have finer adjustments but, you will loose overall travel. In other words, you will not be able to zero on targets at vastly different ranges. If you are planning to only shoot one distance, I'd get a 12-42 BR NF. If you want to shoot a wide array of distances, I'd suggest a NF NXS 5.5-22. I've shot from 50 feet to one mile with mine. If you don't want to go NF look at Leupold MK4 or a US Optics.

Whatever you do, you need to realize that most rifle scopes are not made to take the reverse recoil that a large bore rifle with a MB creates. If you really want to be cheap and loose a lot of clarity, go for a $300 Super Sniper. They either hold up forever or fail quickly and go in for free warantee work. When they come back, they normally work great on big bores.

Seriously, if you are spending money on a .416 and are planning on buy enough ammo to feed it properly, what's the big deal with making a one time investment in good optics? Both of my NFs are worth hundreds more today in used condition than they were when I bought them brand new.

huntercf
08-11-2011, 9:30 PM
I'm not a sniper, I don't see myself making 2000 yd shots but I would like to see about trying 1000 yds. I ordered a 416 barrett single shot upper that drops onto an Ar15 lower (from tactilite). The barrel length is 29". I can afford more than $300 but I was trying to spend a little less than $1500. Thanks for the alternatives I'll definitely check them out.

CSACANNONEER
08-11-2011, 9:48 PM
There are only a few 1000 yard ranges in Ca. But, then again, I bet we have more 1000 yard ranges than any other state. If 1000 is your max, you should be fine with a 20X SS. Just because the SS is only $300 doesn't mean it's crap. In fact, with it, decent handloads, your upper and a lot of knowledge and experience, you should be able to consistantly shoot 10"-20" groups at 1000. Seriously, the SS is a great investment. It can easily be sold used for almost as much as a new one. Oh yea, don't skimp on rings!

huntercf
08-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info.

Hoop
08-12-2011, 9:58 AM
The only sub-1k variable I would think about is the Vortex PST mainly because Vortex is really good with warranty turnaround times so if/when your big huge rifle eats the scope you will get a replacement pronto. Bushnell, Weaver have cheaper tactical scopes but I have heard mixed stories about their warranty service. Otherwise fixed 16X super sniper, IOR, Leupold MK4, something like that.

Just keep in mind that every time you pull the trigger on that thing it'll probably cost 10$ and produce recoil equal to an ape swinging a bat at you so don't be surprised if your scope dies...

edit: a used NF 3-15 can be had for 1200-1300 if you shop around. If I had your budget that is what I would look for.

Mute
08-12-2011, 10:42 AM
My personal opinion, if you don't plan on shooting past 1000 yards, sell the rifle and get something in a more economical and more practical caliber (.308, .260....etc) and use the remaining money to buy a better scope.

Black Majik
08-12-2011, 12:12 PM
How about a Leupold Mark4 or a US Optics ST-10? Both of them will be under $1K and should hold up well to a .416 Barrett

I think the Mark 4 PR scopes start at around $700ish.

huntercf
08-12-2011, 5:12 PM
Thanks for the good ideas. I think the $700ish sounds about my style. It is only for fun at the shooting range, I would like to eventually shoot out past 1000yds but for that I know I will need to spend some serious coin for decent optics. I missed out on the .50BMG so this was my next best option, I looked at getting the .50 DTC but I just couldn't find that many places that carried them much less ammo. Plus I have heard good things about the 416.

CSACANNONEER
08-12-2011, 5:27 PM
Thanks for the good ideas. I think the $700ish sounds about my style. It is only for fun at the shooting range, I would like to eventually shoot out past 1000yds but for that I know I will need to spend some serious coin for decent optics. I missed out on the .50BMG so this was my next best option, I looked at getting the .50 DTC but I just couldn't find that many places that carried them much less ammo. Plus I have heard good things about the 416.

IMHO, DTC would have been a far better choice. There is a lot more availability and selection of reloading components, it is not as overbored as a .416 so, barrel life is longer, you can shoot it at FCSA matchs, load data is the same as 50BMG and most manufactures of quality 50BMGs will also chamber their guns in .510 DTC. I only know of Armalite, Bohica and Barrett that refuse to do so. But, too late now. Start learning on the .416 and then you can either move over to 50s or, if you're like a lot of people, sell it after 25 rounds and be able to tell everyone that you once owned one.

Hoop
08-12-2011, 7:19 PM
It is only for fun at the shooting range

You've picked a really expensive caliber "just for fun" hahahaha....

ArmyMedicMoose
08-12-2011, 7:20 PM
I've ordered a .416 barrett and I need to get a scope but I need some advice. My local gun shop recommended a nightforce but the $1500 price tage is a little steep for me right now. I just want a decent scope to do some long shots, any suggestions? Thanks

you just got a 4000 rifle and you want to be cheap on a scope WTF.

rero360
08-12-2011, 8:37 PM
ztVMib1T4T4

huntercf
08-12-2011, 11:12 PM
you just got a 4000 rifle and you want to be cheap on a scope WTF.

Actually it cost me around $2500. But after reading these posts I may have to just bite the bullet (so to speak) and shell out the money for a nightforce.

huntercf
08-12-2011, 11:15 PM
rero360...point taken.:o

CSACANNONEER
08-13-2011, 9:43 AM
Actually it cost me around $2500. But after reading these posts I may have to just bite the bullet (so to speak) and shell out the money for a nightforce.

Think of it as an investment. I bought my ALS upper for a base price of $1650 and had no problem putting an $1800 8-32 NXS on it. In the end, you'll be happy that you made the investment when you did.

huntercf
08-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I am now leaning towards getting a nightforce or something similar. I'm glad I posted this thread, I appreciate all the honest opinions and info.

Iloveguns
08-18-2011, 4:03 PM
The Vortex PST 6-24 should be fine for what you want to do and your skill level.

brando
08-18-2011, 5:19 PM
You're going to hate life putting a cheap scope on a .50BMG-based cartridge. At some point after 100 round you'll be missing 99% of the time because the reticle will shake loose or the turrets will break. The .416 Barrett is a necked down .50BMG case, so the pressures you're generating are very high (think 70,000 psi) and the vibrations will thrash any scope that's not MIL rated over time. Also, your rings better be solid as well and I highly suggest torquing them after every 100 rounds or so because they will work loose over time.

Oh and you chose a caliber that is going to be EXPENSIVE to feed.

ronas
08-19-2011, 5:24 AM
I am now leaning towards getting a nightforce or something similar.

Good scopes often cost way more than the rifle. The Premier 5-25x56 is an option. It's a robust scope and can be service here in the US if needed.

Paul_R
08-19-2011, 5:39 AM
.... you should be fine with a 20X SS. Just because the SS is only $300 doesn't mean it's crap.

Good point. There are lots of reasons it's crap that have nothing to do with the fact that it's only $300.

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist and yes I do have one. Personally I'm a big fan of Vortex Viper PST scopes.

HK Dave
08-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Sorry my friend, when you spend $3K on a rifle, there is 0 excuse to spend less than $1500 on a scope.

In the end, if you're serious about shooting that beast. the cost of the scope will be paltry when compared to the price of ammo.