PDA

View Full Version : Moss 835 Tactical Turkey vs Super Nova..

ECVMatt
01-15-2007, 2:15 PM
OK, I have doing some homework and just found out about the Super Nova w/ steady grip. Does anyone have opinions about either gun?? I like the S Nova, but have not real field experience with one.

Thanks,

Matt

M. Sage
01-15-2007, 6:47 PM
I had a couple of issues with my 835, though I didn't have a Turkey or Tactical or whatever, just a plain 835.

Recoil. It was stupid. Might as well get a ten gauge... well, unless you only shoot 3", then it didn't have much recoil at all. :eek: And I'm not one to cry about a bit of recoil, either.

The big one, IMO, was the fact that the 3 1/2" shells would sometimes stick when you wanted to extract. I think the pressure had the hulls swelling up and not wanting to come out of the chamber. Either way, sometimes you almost had to hold the gun by the fore end and slam it butt-first into the ground to get it open.

The good was, despite what the manual said, it WOULD hold as many 3 1/2" shells as it would 2 3/4" or 3". That's a lot of firepower, assuming you can get the spent hulls clear of the chamber.

anotherone
01-15-2007, 8:39 PM
If you're planning on using the shotgun for home protection go with the SuperNova. The Mossberg Tactical Turkey gun is chocked off and specifically designed for tight patterns on turkeys. If you're looking for a Turkey gun for spring turkey season I'd go with the mossberg. I use a Beretta Xtrema2 for everything from 2 3/4 inch trap shooting and early season doves all the way up to waterfowling, turkey hunting, and pig hunting (with scope and Federal Tru-Ball slugs).